PDA

View Full Version : 12'-14' flyfishing boat advice

Lars Young
03-01-2001, 09:33 AM
Just like the message posted about a week ago, I'm looking for a lapstrake (not sheet ply) boat design for use with a 9.9 4 stroke motor. However, I'll be using this boat to make long runs into the Everglades where water can get quite skinny in a hurry, so a shallow running boat that can get up and go is a necessity. I'm having trouble finding a pretty hull that fits my order. So far I'm looking at John Gardner's 14' Semi-dory, as advised in an earlier post, but that's all I can really find.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my long winded post.

Lars

Don Maurer
03-01-2001, 01:40 PM
For a 9.9 hp motor on a 14' boat, you will want a hull that can plane. Take a look at Karl Stambaugh's book "Good Skiffs". There are a number of skiffs in it from various designers that should fit your requirements. Any plank on frame design can also be built a lapsrake without too much difficulty.

Wayne Jeffers
03-01-2001, 08:04 PM
For flat-bottom boats, without relying on sheet ply, try Atkin & Co. They have quite a few nice cross-planked bottom, lapped-plank sided boats. I believe WB did a review of their XLNC (excellency, get it?) a few years ago.

Not a lot of info on their web page, but they have a nice printed catalog.

http://www.by-the-sea.com/atkin&co/

Wayne

Robert Albers
03-01-2001, 09:35 PM
Hello.......
I had posted the previous request but did not find a design I found suitable......so, I designed for my customer.....15 ft. LOA, 5 ft beam, uses 9.9 hp Merc 4 stroke.....epoxy-plywoode lapstrake constructed... displaces about 700 lbs. (weighs about 280)
she is a planing hull designed to perform best a moderate speeds (8-12 mph)

Construction of the boat will begin in April (currently finishing design)....If interested in the plans or more info on the boat feel free to e-mail me.

Regards,

Robert Albers,
Albers Wooden Boats
www.alberswoodenboats.com (http://www.alberswoodenboats.com)
e-mail robert@alberswoodenboats.com

Robert Albers
03-01-2001, 10:05 PM
Hello......me again....
I did come across one other design you might look at.
Compumarine (I think www.compumarine.com) (http://www.compumarine.com)) sells the plan....She's can be built in either 1 or 15 ft. versions......said it was design for fly fisherman....although rather narrow (3 1/2 ft. beam) She was designed to be strip built....an easy approach.

Regards,

Robert J. Albers

Lars Young
03-01-2001, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I saw the Atkin & Co. website and have requested more info. I also looked at the Simmons Sea Skiff. Nice job on that 18' black one at your website, Custom Skiffs. It's a beautiful and functional design for rougher waters, but that high bow would actually be more of a nusiance than a help. The area I'll be fishing will normally have dead flat water, and at worst case a light chop. The quest continues, but now with direction.
Thanks again,
Lars
http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Lars Young
03-01-2001, 10:30 PM
Robert,
Good call with that strip built plan. Not very beamy, but quite attractive. Perhaps I could push it out a bit. One thing I forgot to mention, The other reason for the interest in plywood lapstrake is that I have sitting in my garage a beautiful 4' x 16' 4mm sheet of mahogany plywood that I bought for a boat plan that didn't deserve such a nice piece of wood. I would be nice to put that to use.
Lars

Robert Albers
03-01-2001, 10:45 PM
Lars,

Although a lot of designs can be "stretched", increasing beam is another story. This could lead to adverse affects on performance/stability etc...There's an old addage for boat designs that if a design could be scaled in all directions......we would only need one.

Robert

Zane Lewis
03-08-2001, 02:40 AM
One Thing I am always concerned about when running in water that gets suddenly shallow is prop damage and sucking sand etc up the cooling system. Even if the boat only draws 8", I suspect the OB would need at least 12"

Have you considered a water jet unit?

Zane

Lars Young
03-08-2001, 09:11 AM
Zane:
You've got some good points.
If I'm traversing in water that shallow, I'll be pushing myself along with a pole and the engine would be up and out of the water. Less damage on the lower unit and the sea life.
I've seen boats with jet units in the Everglades, they're not common but they certainly makes sense. I already own an outboard that I'd like to use. One nice feature that it has is a shallow running mode, which keeps the engine attachment "loose" and allows it to "kick up" if it hits any underwater obstruction. The same model had the water inlets higher up on the lower unit, thus miminizing the amount of debris from entering the cooling system. It's pretty dangerous in reverse, though.
Lars

Stephen Hutchins
03-21-2001, 05:39 PM
Lars,
I just recently designed a flat bottomed skiff for fly-fishing for my own use! I've scaled it to two sizes, 13'-6" and 17'-9" (approx.)The small one has a four foot beam at the waterline. It has moderate rocker back aft and significant flair.The transom is flat with a crowned top.The Stem is strait and therefore the rabet can be cut with a table saw. (This boat should go together quickly)I haven't decided wether to cross plank the bottom with cedar or cover the bottom with two layers of plywood. I'm leaning towards the cedar as it looks good, smells good, ads weight to the bottom of the boat (making it a more enjoyable boat from which to fish)and, lastly, my bare feet would like it better. Although the forward end of the sheerline may be a bit high for what you want, it is a simple matter to change it. I've built a scale model and I'd be happy to send you a photo.I don't have the resources to build full size yet,however, I really would like to see this design built.If you'd like,I'll send you the plans for free. (Please just don't give them away if you decide you want them)