PDA

View Full Version : Sore eye

WX
02-05-2010, 09:58 PM
One of our neighbours had a Paulownia cut down recently and has a sign up on they gate offering free firewood. Okay it's soft and will burn fast but it's free and there's heaps of it. So I went and loaded up the Ute... then I did something I don't recommend. I rubbed my eye; Paulownia sap is not nice, it burns with feeling like fine needles.
Anyway I sluiced it with plenty of clean water and it's not so bad now. Stll sore and very red though.

PeterSibley
02-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Ouch ...outpourings of sympathy from here . I recommend beer as anesthetic .Drink til it doesn't hurt .:D:(

WX
02-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Now that is an excellent idea doc...I'll get one right now!
Tassy Gold it is.

The Bigfella
02-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Tassy Gold won't do it will it? Isn't it midstrength?

I've emptied the beer fridge. Bugger.

WX
02-05-2010, 10:32 PM
It's helping quite nicely:D I've decided it's not a bad drop. I've been drinking Cascade lite but after the first 4 it starts to taste like water.
Besides it's on special at the moment.:D
I also cut 2 fallen Sally Wattles off the truck bypass over our creek and scored quite a bit of firewood out of that. We have a bridge but it's not for heavy vehicles. The Sally's also knocked a few branches off a Cadargi on the way down and that is good firewood; dense and slow burning.

paladin
02-05-2010, 10:52 PM
I gots a new extra large sized economy bottle of percocets this morning...better'n beer...but if the snow lasts and the perks don't then I have some Plum wine (sake)......of course my doctor dunno know this....The friggin' steroids (prednisone) in my blood is drivin' me knutz.

WX
02-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I use to take that stuff when i had bad asthma, not nice.
Absynthe and champagne is a nice combo.

The Bigfella
02-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Last time I drove in the centre of Sydney whilst on prednisone... I vowed and declared I wouldn't do it again - and haven't. Some clown walked across in front of me... the 'roids kicked in and the foot went down on the go pedal.... get outa the way clown.

Roid rage is real... and nasty.

Paul Girouard
02-05-2010, 11:50 PM
One of our neighbours had a Paulownia cut down recently and has a sign up on they gate offering free firewood.

then I did something I don't recommend. I rubbed my eye; Paulownia sap is not nice, it burns with feeling like fine needles.
Anyway I sluiced it with plenty of clean water and it's not so bad now. Stll sore and very red though.

Is there anything in your country that WON'T kill / maim / harm / or other wise cause discomfort? :eek:

The other thing is what does the smoke to to folks if the sap burns the eyes, won't the smoke from that tree cause other types of discomfort? Respiratory , eye, etc?

The Bigfella
02-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Hey Paul.... these trees come from China IIRC.... don't blame us Aussies.

Paul Girouard
02-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Well ya gotta admit a lot of things in Oz can kill and / or harm a person.

So it's a non-indigenous species eh.

The Bigfella
02-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Yep.

Now... lessee,

Sharks... yeah.... but you folks just lost someone to one of them in Florida

Spiders... yeah... but you've got the Black Widow

Crocs... yeah... but you've got alligators

Snakes.... yeah... you've got rattlers too

Bears... nah... ours are cuddly critters. Yours?

Lions... nah... well, you've got some big cats.

Guns... yeah, got them, but we don't kill many people with them. You guys?

GaryK
02-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Well ya gotta admit a lot of things in Oz can kill and / or harm a person.

So it's a non-indigenous species eh.

Seriously, we have nothing that runs you down and eats you alive (except flies maybe). Unlike your grizzlys.
All our dangerous ones tend to bite you on the stealth, when you are careless enough to walk in long grass in the Summer.
Our motorists are far more likely to get you.

AussieBarney
02-06-2010, 04:48 AM
Yep.

Now... lessee,

Ian You forgot they have mad, crazy yanks. I will back up against any of our wildlife but, I am deadset scared of them mad grazy yanks especially when they is armed. Remember the 41st.;]

seafox
02-06-2010, 06:11 AM
nah we don't kill many people with guns, if you just look at the general population and not the minority populations. police tend to kill a few in the rather small state captial of boise idaho it was reported a couple years back that police had killed 15 people with out any people killing a cop that year

speaking of bears last time we went to yellow stone we happened to be third car back when a grizzley went acrost the road I walked forward thing was hardly bigger than a big dog mother in law was freeking a little but I was carefull to keep the last car betweenme and the bear, unlike Grandfather back in the 50s who went out of the cabin to shoe one away and the bear ended up shoeing him away.

I really wanted to ask about that palowan tree isn't it the fastest growing in the world? alas it does not tolorate our cold winters in northern ut. will have to gogle what the other types of trees mentioned, but what kind of stove do you heat with? if it burns hot and clean enough would that not take care of irritating smoke? how popular are high mass stoves in down under. here some are called siberian stoves. one guy who was written about developed a prefab version made of cast masonary moduals of up to 125 pounds each insteed of regular sized bricks that can take much longer to cure before they can be fired. I love one of his garintees bout the 10,000 pound heaters " if stolen it will be replaced free of charge"

seafox
02-06-2010, 06:12 AM
BTW what is the 41st?

PeterSibley
02-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Worthy of a thread ...Bigfella produced stats to prove every 41 st American male died of gun shot .It was not a popular piece of information ,especially amongst the gun fetishists .

The Bigfella
02-06-2010, 06:23 AM
The 41st is the statistic relating to the number of American males that die with a bullet in them... not counting war deaths. For the last 30 years or so, one in every 41 American male deaths has been due to gunshot.

Want the statistics?

The Bigfella
02-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Cross post there Peter. Well said sir

PeterSibley
02-06-2010, 06:25 AM
No high mass stoves Jeff , even our coldest areas are warm by US standards. .... think Sth Carolina ...that kind of thing .The coldest place I can think of , a real frost hollow at 3000 feet got a -20 c one winter .Very cold by Oz standards .-8 or so is cold for us .

seafox
02-06-2010, 06:53 AM
thankyou.

hope the eyes feeling better I wear glasses but managed to move my head sideways and poke the eye with a branch while working a landscape job last summer.

The Bigfella
02-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Depends on whether your death is primarily due to gunshot or not as to whether you are the one or the 40 ... but yes you join the stats anyhow...

The Bigfella
02-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Didn't Tyler call some of us statists?

WX
02-06-2010, 05:49 PM
The other thing is what does the smoke to to folks if the sap burns the eyes, won't the smoke from that tree cause other types of discomfort? Respiratory , eye, etc? http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2481450)

I am wondering about that myself. The eye is still a bit sore...won't do that again!

purri
02-06-2010, 06:06 PM
^ ever cut or sanded blackbean? (don't!)

OconeePirate
02-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Yep.

Now... lessee,

Don't forget Brown Recluse spiders. We do have a couple of crocs left in Florida. Rattlers, copperheads, coral snakes, water moccasins.

We also have snapping turtles...........

OK.. so I don't know that anyone has ever died from being bit by a snapper, and they never get in the news for biting people, but they're still big, scary aggressive things. LOL.

Ticks that carry Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, um... don't they have some dangerous scorpions out west?

Whenever I'm watching one of those deadliest animals sort of shows on TV and think "DANG! how do people live there?!?" I always have to remind myself of the creepy monsters that are out my back door, or under the fridge in the case of the black widows.

Mrleft8
02-07-2010, 09:32 PM
SÓK Mate..... No need to be sorry...... You rubber yer eye.....Whats to be sorry about?..... ;) :D

WX
02-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Feeling a lot better now:D
Purri, yeah, Blackbean is a lovely grained timber but dangerous to work.

purri
02-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Castanospermun australe IIRC. BTW they were looking at it for an anti HIV properties a few years back. (the beans can be eaten but the process is a bit long)

WX
02-07-2010, 11:34 PM
(the beans can be eaten but the process is a bit long)
Boil 3 times in fresh water each time or is it bury in creek sand under water for 3 weeks? Sometimes I wonder how people worked it out? trial and error, hmm he died, we'll try burying them for 3 weeks.

The Bigfella
02-08-2010, 12:41 AM
I've got a Blackbean in the front yard. Threw its first ever flower a week or two back. I don't think I dug it a big enough hole when I put it in... and it isn't the most conducive ground here. It's about 8'.... after about 20 years, but that's fine by me

JimJ
02-08-2010, 02:51 AM
Bears... nah... ours are cuddly critters. Yours?I did not know that we had bears in Oz.

Black bean (http://www.anhs.com.au/blackbean.htm) beautiful timber and flowers, We have one in the backyard along with hundred of seedlings.
The flowers are carried along the full length of the branches, not at the end.

PeterSibley
02-08-2010, 03:24 AM
I've got a Blackbean in the front yard. Threw its first ever flower a week or two back. I don't think I dug it a big enough hole when I put it in... and it isn't the most conducive ground here. It's about 8'.... after about 20 years, but that's fine by me

They're slow Ian ,I have dozens in here , seed sown maybe 20 years ago .They'd be 3 to 3.6 m and our climate is pretty good for them .

WX
02-08-2010, 05:14 AM
I had a Blackbean growing out by the bathroom, I use to pee under it sometimes which it obviously liked...cause it really took off. I ended up cutting it down as the sound of the pods bouncing off the roof was deafening.

PeterSibley
02-08-2010, 05:21 AM
$2 per kg ! :D

WX
02-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I cut it down. Lot's of children have come up about the place though.