PDA

View Full Version : Taiwan

George.
02-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Will it be the 21st century Polish Corridor?

Will China not try to annex it eventually, once they have the capability to invade it and keep the US Navy at bay?

Will the US fight China over it? Will the world survive such a fight?

paladin
02-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Nope....they use it to process people through for gathering Intel elsewhere.

George.
02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
SO you are saying that even once China has the capability to re-take it while deterring the US, it will choose not to?

Keith Wilson
02-05-2010, 10:44 AM
As China gets richer and less communist, I think they'll work out an arrangement to let the Chinese say they took it over, yet keep the Taiwanese mostly autonomous and content, something like Hong Kong on a larger scale. It's not in either side's interest to fight - although people have done stupider things.

George.
02-05-2010, 10:51 AM
So why do they buy weapons?

George.
02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
SO we are to assume that Taiwan will be able to deter China into the "right track" indefinitely, even as China's economic and military strength grows?

cookie
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
China's preferred approach has been peaceful integration for at least the last twenty years.

I guess that is why the Tibetans are upset and the Chinese urge Obama NOT to receive the Dalai Lama. :rolleyes:;)

pefjr
02-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Your proposal is that the USA should just turn over Taiwan now, in order to appease its major creditor?

Taiwan has turned from a dump into a pretty nice place over the past thirty years; why not get on a plane and visit it. The natives are friendly and the Chinese immigrants are not bad either.I would like to take your suggestion trip. I was there in 1965 and I remember a beautiful mountainous island. CKS was the man, and I recall it being like a Martial Law Government. Police everywhere in the cities. We built an AF base 50 miles from Sun Moon Lake Resort. It was not a dump as I recall. Just the opposite. The women wore short skirts and rode bicycles revealing those beautiful legs. :)

pefjr
02-05-2010, 12:11 PM
ACB, you have been everywhere, where do you think are the most beautiful women? I say the French/ Vietnamese in the silk ao dai

Keith Wilson
02-05-2010, 12:12 PM
My point is that Tibet did not and does not have large well trained and American equipped armed forces. If it did, China would no doubt pursue an approach based on peaceful integration. Also, Tibetans are ethnically, culturally and linguistically very different from the Chinese, and are difficult to integrate by any means, peaceful or otherwise. Most Taiwanese are Chinese, and would not object at all to closer integration under the right circumstances.

ACB, you have been everywhere, where do you think are the most beautiful women? Oh, this could make a good thread. Pictures, we need pictures!

cookie
02-05-2010, 12:15 PM
My point is that Tibet did not and does not have large well trained and American equipped armed forces. If it did, China would no doubt pursue an approach based on peaceful integration.

Ah, I see, the peaceful attitude of the Tibetans is causing problems here ;)
(just pulling your leg a bit, Andrew, i understand what you're saying)

... it puts money into Chinese pockets.

Nobody bites the hand that feeds them.

But almost everyone likes to cut out the middle man :p

pefjr
02-05-2010, 12:30 PM
ao dai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzPpT2PfWhg&feature=related

George.
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Nothing is going to happen.

My Taiwanese mechanical designer sends the tooling and production to mainland China, where it creates jobs at an injection molder. She's the 'front end' for efforts like this... it puts money into Chinese pockets.

They also said World War One couldn't happen as it would grind commerce to a halt.

paladin
02-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Ao Dai (ow yi)

Ex wife, last thanksgiving in Paris...
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp154/paladinsfo1/Lamsoninparis.jpg

chasbartlett
02-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Damn, Chuck, she hasn't aged in 30 plus years....

Harry Miller
02-05-2010, 02:56 PM
The girls are still very pretty as you can see from my posting earlier in this thread. :)

Do take the trip.

Ah! but they don't hold a candle to the filipinas.:)

TimH
02-05-2010, 03:02 PM

American corporations seem to be biting the hand that feeds them (the American consumer) by sending jobs overseas.

carioca1232001
02-05-2010, 03:54 PM
.........The girls are still very pretty as you can see from my posting earlier in this thread. :)

Do take the trip.

I recall a Skol beer salesman that we would meet often on the beach in the mid-80īs, who would fly regularly from Rio to Taiwan getting this point across to the Cariocas ;).

Another thing he said was: ' In that part of the world, the sheer scent of the mango fruit has you drooling......people in Brazil have no idea as to how exquisite a mango fruit can be, as most of our local mangoes are obtained from seed, bar a few exceptions.'

GaryK
02-05-2010, 05:55 PM
So why do they buy weapons?

I reckon they did because the old Nationalist party (KMT) is back in power. Though they have mellowed over the last couple of decades.
The mainland has had the capability to invade long ago, but it would be very expensive and not productive. So they tend to threaten and jump up and down.

Robbie 2
02-05-2010, 11:25 PM
The theory, of course, was to have one or two drop dead gorgeous Eurasian daughters who would make brilliant marriages and keep their parents in the style to which they planned to become accustomed, but we got two boys instead:[/QUOTE]

So did we.:eek:

George.
02-06-2010, 07:59 AM
The mainland has had the capability to invade long ago, but it would be very expensive and not productive. So they tend to threaten and jump up and down.

Can they really keep the US Navy away and their supply lines safe? It wouldn't do them much good to invade and end up besieged by a US blockade.

GaryK
02-06-2010, 11:19 AM
George, the Taiwanese buying weapons shows their policy has not changed since when I lived there. Obviously the Taiwanese stopped relying on the US umbrella after Jimmy Carter's "Taiwan Relations Act" in 1979.
What they were prevented from purchasing, eg F16 fighters in 80's, they purchased technology and developed themselves. I lived down the road from the main airforce base and could hear them testing jet engines, from 10km away, pretty damn loud. I met several American engineers from General Dynamics and other companies in the local Pubs, they were "teaching" the Taiwanese to build the planes. There were heaps of US arms contractors in central Taiwan those days, very pleasant chaps, oil 'em up and they tell everything that's going on..

pefjr
02-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Is the name Formosa used anymore?

GaryK
02-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Is the name Formosa used anymore?
nope, Formosa is dead and gone.

johnwill
02-06-2010, 11:36 AM
I was one of the "teachers" for seven years, so I may have run into you at the Heidelberg or the Pig & Whistle. They eventually got their F-16s, 160 of them when GHW Bush relented in an attempt to win reelection in '92.

GaryK
02-06-2010, 11:43 AM
hey Johnwill, probably did. I remember the Pig & Whistle. I was the dude working in the bicycle industry. I think the development of the homegrown planes didnt go too well..

GaryK
02-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I cant recall a street with that reputation in Taichung, but I wouldnt be surprised. The Pig&Whistle had good food, but the bar I spent an obscene amount of time in was one on Bo Guan Rd, opposite the Science Museum, the name escapes me. When that closed, the next was a 2 story job on a canal a few blocks away. Both places frequented by American engineers, shoe importers, UK construction engineers (they built the Science Museum) and heaps of English teachers.

johnwill
02-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Heidleberg was on the east side of the street leading from the Science Museum to the National Hotel. On the west side was Denver. The distinguishing feature of the P&W (other than the good food) was only one way out, up a narrow staircase to the street. I fully expected that place to catch fire and kill about a hundred foreigners trying to escape up that stairway. Pub fires were a common Taichung occurence, sometimes due to competitive pub considerations.

With all the pink and blue neon lit barbershops, I didn't realize Taichung had street lights.

The home grown airplane (Indigenous Defensive Fighter- IDF) actually was a good airplane considering the political limitations imposed by the US Strate Department, so as not to offend the PRC too much. Limited range, limited payload, no air to air refueling for example.

Now I remember the pub directly across from the Museum. Its distinguishing feature was a waitress who could beat almost anyone at arm wrestling.

Wild Dingo
02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Taiwan has other weapons:

http://www.filination.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/image8.png

BRING HER ON!!!! ;) With weapons like that wee sheila... one look and... I surrender!!! :D

GaryK
02-07-2010, 04:48 AM
BRING HER ON!!!! ;) With weapons like that wee sheila... one look and... I surrender!!! :D

Dingo, thats nothing. To walk around Taipei is full on. There's a very strong risk of walking into sign posts ...