X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrianW
    not your average member
    • Nov 2002

iPhone alternatives...

Joe's thread got me looking for a used iPhone (I have a 3GS already) to use on the road, beyond AT&T's reach.

Apparently used iPhones are made of gold, at least judging by the prices out there.

So what are the alternatives to an iPhone? I like the big screen and lack of tiny buttons taking up all the real estate.

Does "jail breaking" apply only to AT&T? I need to use the SIM card from my Afghani cell phone, so no "jailed" phone for me.

A welcome side topic on this thread would be the different aspects of 'jail breaking' an iPhone.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

• Iceboy
    Frozen Member
    • Feb 2001

Re: iPhone alternatives...

Brian, I use an HTC Touch Pro. It's a windows phone. It can do everything an iphone can and some an iphone can't. There are tons of apps out there both free and for free. They can be hacked to run on any network. I also have mine set up as a WiFi router for using my laptop in remote areas. Google PPC geeks for a forum or windows phone. Jim...
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Comment

• Kaa
      Wanderer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BrianW
      So what are the alternatives to an iPhone? I like the big screen and lack of tiny buttons taking up all the real estate.
      Mostly the new Android phones: Droid (if you like keyboards)

and Nexus One (if you like Google)

Kaa

Comment

• willmarsh3
        • Sep 2004

I went to the various phone stores and handled some phones, in particular the MyTouch 3G and one other besides the iPhone. I found the iPhone less tedious and more smooth to use. I tested various features to do with searching, the address book and the calendar and found the iPhone excelled in these also. I decided it worked best for me.
        Will

Comment

• BrianW
          not your average member
          • Nov 2002

Learned I need to find out if this service requires GSM, whatever that means.
          “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• BrianW
            not your average member
            • Nov 2002

I guess it does...

Roshan is the leading GSM cellular service provider in Afghanistan...

So I need to make sure whatever phone I chose is GSM compatible.

Comment

• stoneyreef
              • Jul 2009

I have the new motorola Android. Great little phone except: It is not made for anyone who drives a lot. Very hard to hit a button and even make a simple call while driving down the road and the movement in the car.

A simple phone with real buttons worked much better. I use a blue parrot headset and the droid does not do voice dial yet via headset so it is an issue.

However, the droid really does absolutely everything!

Comment

• Stiletto
                • Jan 2003

The number of choices is staggering.
                Although my phone has internet capability I have no need whatsoever for that in a phone.

It seems that everybody needs something different from their phones.

There is always something that delivers what you want, the hard thing is defining it.
                There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Comment

• BrianW
                  not your average member
                  • Nov 2002

Thanks for the suggestions. Most however, are as expensive as an iPhone. The search continues.

Comment

• cs
                    Elite Invisible Member
                    • Feb 2001

Brian I use the Blackberry Storm and it works great. Crackberry has a ton of great apps and the Storm is also an International phone (if I want to pay the rates). The app I use the most is Tetherberry which hooks my phone up to my laptop and gives me great internet service using my monthly data plan and no tethering charges.

Chad
                    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
                    Love is My Religion

Comment

• Steve Paskey
                      • Oct 2001

Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson )
                      Brian you may want to think about a wifi capable phone so you can make VOIP calls using Skype ...
                      You don't necessarily need a phone for that. you can do the same thing with an ipod touch and a set of earphones that includes a mike.

One question you might ask yourself, then, is whether you really need a PHONE that has the data capabilities ... if you're outside AT&T's reach, what are you going to pay for data on top of the phone charges? (With AT&T, it's $30 a month plus taxes and fees, probably close to $400 a year, that's $800 over two years, versus $229 for a new ipod touch.) For me, the cost of a data plan in addition to the phone service isn't worth it, but your needs may be different.
                      Last edited by Steve Paskey; 02-06-2010, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                        pinko commie tree hugger
                        • Oct 2003

Just how well does something like skype work on on a 3G network? I pretty much figure that it would have to suck. . .
                        Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

Working...