PDA

View Full Version : Guess I goofed. Fact meets fiction retry

John Smith
02-04-2010, 05:26 PM
This defines the problem nicely.
Seems to me a sitting senator should know what the constitution says. After all, don't they swear to uphold it? How can they do that without knowing its contents.

Plus, a little honesty would be appreciated.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#35227215

John Smith
02-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Sent this clip to my brother who holds different political philosophy than do I. This was his response:

Rachael is the biggest jerk on tv. Next to Oberline and Mathews. Her ratings and those of all the liberal pun dents on the secondary channels put together doesn't account for 30% of the FOX ratings. That should tell you something. Collins is not republican....she is a liberal posing as a republican. If it makes you feel better she is targeted for removal and enjoys the position of being the only republican on the list.

It looks like the true lies are coming from the Whitehouse. The "state of Obama" address was not only disappointing it was almost a total lie. Instead of boring us to death for some 70 minutes he could have just said "It was Bush's fault. One would think that even the progressives known to have their head up their asses are getting tired of it. You can count on a couple of things from the Mass elections: 1. Health care, Cap and Tax, Card Check are DEAD. 2. Madam Pelosi will not be the speaker or even part of the majority in the house when November arrives.

I also predict a uturn on the trials in New York, the closing of GITMO and an unbelievable coverup on the XMAS bomber. The bomber was handled well, don't ya think? I feel secure with Obama as president, he's tough on "Man made events". I have to go now, taking a math course to help me figure out the whitehouse numners relating to jobs "created or saved". Years ago schools taught that math was an exact subject.....when did it become fuzzy?

Is it me, or were there no facts in his response?

John Smith
02-04-2010, 06:59 PM
You're right. There were no facts in his response.

I didn't think so, but try telling him that.

We have a large chunk of this country who absolutely believe what I'd call myths.

I happened to catch this today, so I sent it on. It's not hard to find FOX presenting untruths.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/02/04/hannity-bush-golf-obama/

At some point I'd like to think reasonably intelligent people would figure out they're being lied to. Or is it they want to be lied to?

Not all just Fox: when Dean in '04 made the statement that catching Saddam wouldn't change anything, he was correct. He was also toast.

I really believe that we NEED some form of truth requirement as to facts on news media and from elected politicians.

When Al Franken complained that Thune's chart was less than accurate, and the point Thune had made with it was not true, he had a really valid point.

If a senator is going to stand on the floor of the senate and state facts, are we not entitled to those facts being honest? If a news outlet reports a fact, are we not entitled to that fact being honest?

Does freedom of speech really allow news outlets and elected officials to lie to us?

delecta
02-04-2010, 07:07 PM
You're right. There were no facts in his response.

His first sentence was full of facts, what the hell are you smoking?

Actually it was difficult to read but there were facts in the first five sentences and if you want to look at it realistically the whole paragraph was accurate.

Perhaps you should open you mind or just keep watching MSNBC.....someone needs to be there to turn the light off.

Tobago
02-04-2010, 07:54 PM
We citizens ought to be talking staight regardless of how the media characterizes our representatives statements.

There is a difference between "wrong or incorrect" and lying.

Stop soft peddling and call a lie a lie.

And while we're at it how about a big round of applause and a salute for our Admiral Mike Mullins, CJCS and SWO!

John Smith
02-05-2010, 07:53 AM
His first sentence was full of facts, what the hell are you smoking?

Actually it was difficult to read but there were facts in the first five sentences and if you want to look at it realistically the whole paragraph was accurate.

Perhaps you should open you mind or just keep watching MSNBC.....someone needs to be there to turn the light off.
Which ones? Ratings? What's that mean? More people watching a network doesn't mean that network gets its facts correct, likely including the ratings numbers. If more people believing something made it a fact, the world would be flat.

"Posing as a republican" is an opinion. The fact is she calls herself a republican, she votes with the republicans, she caucuses with the republicans, she ran as a republican.

The POINT of the video is that Susan Collins, Lindsay Graham, and Mitch McConnall (?) had their FACTS wrong. They seem to be lacking in knowledge of what the constitution says.

I've asked my bother what he is afraid of/angry at, and I cannot get an answer out of which I can make sense.

Vince Brennan
02-05-2010, 08:27 AM
I've asked my bother what he is afraid of/angry at, and I cannot get an answer out of which I can make sense.

Maybe its time we ask our conservative brothers and sisters to come out and flat SAY what it is that's bothering them. So far we have heard nothing but "Libtard destruction of the Country", "Running the Country into an irretrievable debt", " 'Softnesss' on the 'War On Terror' ", and a L O T of passive-agressive crap...

(Scot, if the following is "poofable", then only poof the post, not the thread, OK?)

What is bothering them is something they have not cared to honestly express. In the bank last week I was in line with about sixty people and, the line being slow, the conversation started to turn to Obama and what he is doing/trying to do in his 4 years.... the universal opinion of the folks in line was that "No-one in congress seemed to want to cooperate with the "****** in the White House", only THEY weren't using asterisks.

SO: I started asking around my 'hood about it.

The perception in the local Black community is that the rest of the Country, the heartland and the "powers-that-be" are scared $hitless because we have "The Ethiopian In The Fuel Supply" in CHARGE of things and they'll just keep on trying to cut his legs off (without looking like they're doing so) until they get the shackles back on him.

Reading the many posts on this and other boards since Obama's candidacy and then Presidency obtained, I HAVE to agree with them.

All this bitterness and self-delusion that the Right seems to be going thru can only stem from racisim.

Unconscious, perhaps; covert always and expressed with "plausible deniability" at all times, but its still racisim.

There is no other explanation for the continued venom and spleen expressed by so many.

LeeG
02-05-2010, 08:33 AM
It's weird isn't it Vince, Obama and his family represent mainstream Americas aspirations more than most presidential families. He understands and respects the Constitution. Too many prefer a benevolent dictator over a leader of a democracic republic.

Michael D. Storey
02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Sent this clip to my brother who holds different political philosophy than do I. This was his response:

Rachael is the biggest jerk on tv. Next to Oberline and Mathews. Her ratings and those of all the liberal pun dents on the secondary channels put together doesn't account for 30% of the FOX ratings. That should tell you something. Collins is not republican....she is a liberal posing as a republican. If it makes you feel better she is targeted for removal and enjoys the position of being the only republican on the list.

It looks like the true lies are coming from the Whitehouse. The "state of Obama" address was not only disappointing it was almost a total lie. Instead of boring us to death for some 70 minutes he could have just said "It was Bush's fault. One would think that even the progressives known to have their head up their asses are getting tired of it. You can count on a couple of things from the Mass elections: 1. Health care, Cap and Tax, Card Check are DEAD. 2. Madam Pelosi will not be the speaker or even part of the majority in the house when November arrives.

I also predict a uturn on the trials in New York, the closing of GITMO and an unbelievable coverup on the XMAS bomber. The bomber was handled well, don't ya think? I feel secure with Obama as president, he's tough on "Man made events". I have to go now, taking a math course to help me figure out the whitehouse numners relating to jobs "created or saved". Years ago schools taught that math was an exact subject.....when did it become fuzzy?

Is it me, or were there no facts in his response?

Were your brother and my brother separated at birth?
With an axe?

nw_noob
02-06-2010, 11:59 PM
We have a large chunk of this country who absolutely believe what I'd call myths...

I really believe that we NEED some form of truth requirement as to facts on news media and from elected politicians...

Does freedom of speech really allow news outlets and elected officials to lie to us?

Yup...

Agreed...

And yes, they currently are... This was best shown in the case of the reporter for the Florida Fox affiliate who was fired for pushing her story about the health risks of steroids and hormones used in the dairy industry. It went at least as far as an appeals court, if not the state supreme court. The ruling read basicly: no, news organizations are not required by law to report facts.