PDA

View Full Version : right side wrong side driving...

jonboy
02-04-2010, 04:40 PM
How do you mount a horse,....?

I know what I'm letting us all in for here but anyway....

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Mount a horse?

I tell you the English have some very strange practises.

Ian McColgin
02-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Horses are very conservative. Some, especially those trained for gymkana and vaulting, get accustomed to being mounted from either side, but most are trained to be mounted on their left. You may get up on the other side but the horse will be a nudge disconcerted.

It's a bit like having the halyards for sails abaft the mast to starboard, those for sails forward of the mast to port. That has to do with most people being right handed and the way it's easiest to haul while looking.

In the case of horses, it leaves the right hand free to hold a weapon while mounting or dismounting. People get used to it and so do the horses, and both carry on long after they forgot why.

jonboy
02-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Gosh I must be so na´ve.. I was thinking more glueing them to blocks of wood....

seriously, if one commonly mounts with the left foot in the left stirrup and hoiks oneself up on to the nag throwing one's right foot over , then everything is set up for riding down the left side of the road. If it is the other way, one's arse is stuck out in the street during the whole process, and there can't be any aids for shortarses such as mounting blocks. Drive on the left so there.

paladin
02-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Depends on who broke the horse...the white man mounts from the left side, and in time of battle has to go around or chase the horse around to mount it....Indian broke means that you may mount from either side or from astern. One normally places a hand on the shoulder if you are behind the horse, or gently on the rump before jumping aboard. Properly trained you do not need a bridle or a saddle, the horse will respond to knees or a gentle pat on the side of the neck. This explains basically how native Americans train horses.
The white man shoots them and stuffs them and call them Deer, especially damned yankees.

Ian McColgin
02-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Right and left hand driving are related, both to most people being right handed. In Europe where the road traffic was dominated by armed men on horseback, who naturally prefer to meet right hand to right hand, and carts were small, it made sense for most traffic to pass right to right.

In the New World with large mule, horse and oxen teams, the drivers walked to the left of their teams, reins in left hand and whip in right. Drive a team and this will make good sense to you. So it's easier to see what you're doing if you meet port to port - i.e. driving on the right.

Took WWII and American hegonomey to change everyone.

skuthorp
02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I bought a good big horse cheap here because he'd been trained to mount from the right. Got very fractious if you trried the other side.

Robert L.
02-04-2010, 10:35 PM
How do you mount a horse,....?

I know what I'm letting us all in for here but anyway....

It all depends, I am sure you know the "coronation" process for Irish Kings. Of course it must be a white mare.

skuthorp
02-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Of course you all know the old camel army joke.....................................

wizbang 13
02-05-2010, 02:11 AM
you get down from a duck not a horse

downthecreek
02-05-2010, 03:34 AM
Took WWII and American hegonomey to change everyone.

Everyone? About one third of the population of the world drives on the left.