PDA

View Full Version : Woodstoves

Chris Gerkin
02-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Last year I ask the forum for suggestions on woodstoves for Pendragon. The consensus was the Sardine but as I priced them in January of 2010 I realized that the price for the basic stove was now over $1000 after a 55% increase and was out of my price range.

I have gone with a Fatsco Pet and I have a question for Tot and Pet owners. Do you use a damper and how far up the flue do you place it?

I look forward to your insights.

slusher_ben
02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Staying on topic here, I remember reading something either here or on someone' blog concerning a stove for their boat. It was in a odd shaped place and factory wood stoves were so expensive they built their own from soapstone and scrap stove pieces. If I recall it looked quite nice and was very inexpensive. Has anyone else seen this and recall where it was?

Bob Cleek
02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
I've never seen a flue damper on a Pet or Tiny Tot installation. I think the draft control on the stove should be sufficient. Usually, the issue with small stoves is not enough draft, not so much that has to be damped.

andrewe
02-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I agree with Bob, as long as the door is relatively tight, the air control is enough. Draft is a function of flue hight, but even the short flues on boats should be ok. There is a UK outfit that makes little charcoal stoves out of 4" square tube, about a foot tall. Well spoken of from users. The flue is a tiny 1" tube. Try googling force10 woodstoves. Size it up a bit and it would be ok for wood.
A

StevenBauer
02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
That soapstone stove was posted here. A search should find it. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Steven

andrewe
02-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Just checked. www.force10engineering.com (http://www.force10engineering.com) the larger one can burn wood, 2" flue.
A

Chris Gerkin
02-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks I will go without the damper.

Eric D
02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Staying on topic here, I remember reading something either here or on someone' blog concerning a stove for their boat. It was in a odd shaped place and factory wood stoves were so expensive they built their own from soapstone and scrap stove pieces. If I recall it looked quite nice and was very inexpensive. Has anyone else seen this and recall where it was?

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92435&highlight=soapstone

Lance F. Gunderson
02-04-2010, 08:03 PM
You definately need and want a damper, otherwise all the heat goes up the chimney. Install it as close to the stove as possible for maximum heat retention. open the damper when starting your fire and gradually close it as the fire builds. It makes all the differance.

seo
02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
I had a Fatsco Pet in an H-28. Great little stove. Used it to heat the boat through a winter in Annapolis, complete with ice and snow. The thing that saved my life was that the local hardware store sold "Cannel Coal," which I think is also called "Sea Coal." Puts out a lot of heat.
My stove had a damper right close to the stove body. The holes for the damper shaft might have even been drilled through the cast iron spigot on the top of the stove. If you go up the pipe you can overheat the sheet metal pipe.
But I used the damper all the time to regulate the rate of burn. The Fatsco is a long way from being an airtight stove, and if you don't regulate the damper the wood will all disappear up the chimney.

andrewe
02-05-2010, 02:33 AM
Just a note on airtight stoves. The EU regs don't allow production of completely airtight ones as the fumes are poluting, lots of tar & creosote when slow burning. Doesn't stop you making your own that way. esp in the US.
A
Re dampers. In domestic stoves, they are less common. The big manufacturer I used to deal with gave up with them. As I did, as a small designer & manufacturer. But, for a boat, they might be a good idea with the considerations mentioned with flues heating etc.