PDA

View Full Version : Progress with Sitzmark refit

wampum
02-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Earlier last year I posted an inquiry on this site as I had recently purchased a 1971 46' McCurdy Rhodes/Luke-built aluminum ocean racer to refit with the plan to make her a "battleship on the outside and a wooden boat on thie inside". Thanks to those of you who offered your wisdom.

After being trucked from MA to ME to patiently await her refit at Warren Pond Boatworks (Bob, Mark, Jonathon and Terry), she was pulled into the shed in October and is presently emersed in sawdust! Now I realize this is the 'WoodenBoat Forum' but heck, a refit is a refit and you guys appreciate a good story more than the metal boat guys anyway ;)

Much of her interior was so dated and tired (i.e. no v-berth, perforated aluminum headliner, woodgrain formica, old wiring, crazed ports, pressure alcohol, etc.) it just made sense to start over. We've started at the bow and are moving aft. What you see in th photo's is her new 'owners' v-berth and vanity area. We cut out the old aluminum sail bins (24 sails came with the boat, most had not been moved from this spot in 20 years...so please, let's not discuss weight!) to create a proper berth. A forward bulkhead was added to create an anchor locker. We also removed the old head to create a very cozy changing room/vanity/sink area. The sliding and bi-fold doors have been removed and she'll get a proper raised panel bulkhead and single door. The old head is relocated to the former port quarter-berth 'captain's quarters' at the base of the companionway.

In addition to new wiring with likely an e-Plex system, she's receiving a new solid teak planked sole, added insulation, a white beadboard headliner, flush IMTRA overhead and rope lighting, ash ceilings thoughout, s/s opening ports, new galley and nav station, pressure h/c water, all new systems, new cockpit teak, new Edson steering, etc. etc. including Cat 1 compliancy. In short, she'll morph from a crewed racer/cruiser to a short-handed cruiser/racer while maintaining her pedigree.

I wish there wasn't such a bandwidth contstraint in the size of pictures that can be uploaded. But you get the idea. And thanks for your continued inspiration.