PDA

View Full Version : mini rant for your amusement

seafox
02-02-2010, 04:52 AM
you know your reply is too long when the forum logs you out while writing it.

I was answering ABC's question on thread " a question for liberterians" and now that it went into the either may I just say i was eloquient and most of the words were spelled correctly.

ah well if this is the worst that happens today then we are all blessed or very lucky depending on your religious outlook.

hope all here are doing well
jeff

WX
02-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Maybe if you plan on doing a looonnnnggg rant, it might be best to type it into a txt editor first, then just c&p it into the WB forum. :D
Just a suggestion.

George.
02-02-2010, 04:55 AM
Perhaps the spell checking software was overwhelmed and self-destructed.

WX
02-02-2010, 05:00 AM
You're a funny man George. :D:D:D

elf
02-02-2010, 07:54 AM
I've never been logged out by vBulletin. I wonder why?

Wild Dingo
02-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Nope neither have I... only time Ive been logged out is when I log out otherwise Im always here and my light is on :cool:

as the theme song to the WBF goes "you can check out anytime you want but you can never leave" :D

Jeff you just gotta learn to type faster!!!! means more spelling mistooks but hey I can live with that mate so go ahead type faster!!! :p

Garret
02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
you know your reply is too long when the forum logs you out while writing it.

I also monitor another forum that uses the same software as this one (VBulletin). On that forum a person complained about getting logged out every 30 minutes. I've never been automatically logged out of either forum. So - there must be a difference in settings somewhere....

Should an answer be posted (its a geek forum, so there's a good chance someone will figure it out ;-) - I'll post it here. I know how annoying it can be to be logged out in the middle of a session!

BrianW
02-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Should an answer be posted (its a geek forum, so there's a good chance someone will figure it out ;-) - I'll post it here.

I'm not getting the difference between them and us?

;)

Garret
02-02-2010, 10:10 AM
If you are using FireFox as a browser, here's something to try.

Sorry - but if you use Internet Explorer, the fix for it requires editing the registry & I am not about to tell someone to do that! All hell can break loose by doing it wrong.... If you know enough to do so, I'll let you find the fix, as I don't want the responsibility.

So, read on if you use Firefox -

I have Firefox set to remember my username & password for the forum. I'm thinking this may be what keeps me logged in? Not sure, but worth a try. If you share your computer & don't want others to log in as you, do not do this!

The problem is that when you first logged into the forum, FireFox asked you "Remember you for this site?" (or words to that effect). You probably answered "No". Here's how to get that question back so you can answer "Yes" this time:

(Courtesy of techmonk.com)

I have often seen many people asking “How to get the “Remember Password” option back after pressing “Never for this site” button?”. So I thought of writing a post on this. You can get back the “Remember Password” option even though you have accidentally pressed the “Never for this site” button. Here is the way.
Visit Tools>>Options in Firefox and then click on the “Security” tab. Click on the “Exceptions” button in the dialog box. (i.e. in the passwords section). In the dialog box opened, remove the link of the site for which you want to get the “Remember Password” option.
After you are done with this successfully, you will get a “Remember Password” option, the next time you login to the site.

Don't know if this will help - but maybe worth a try.

Syed
02-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Interruption in internet connection could be a reason.

Garret
02-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm not getting the difference between them and us?

;)

Good point! OK - they're all pasty white, Mountain Dew drinking, 30-50 year olds still living in their parent's basements.

Won't that tick people off!

Actually - it's a programming forum, with thrilling posts like:

Object ocombo is a ComboForm
Set Label to "DualCombo"
Set ListWidth to 300
Set Form_Margin to 10

Procedure Activating
Forward Send Activating
Integer iSize
Get GuiSize to iSize
Set Typeface to "Lucida Console"
Set FontSize to 12 8
Set GuiSize to (hi(iSize)) (Low(iSize))
End_Procedure
Procedure Combo_Fill_List
String scadena
Integer iaux

etc. etc.

Bruce Hooke
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I have Firefox set to remember my username & password for the forum. I'm thinking this may be what keeps me logged in?

I use Firefox but do not use the "remember my password feature" and I have never yet been logged out of the forum. I can come back after two weeks away and turn on my computer and I am still logged into the forum.

Kaa
02-02-2010, 10:38 AM
When you log into the forum, there's a checkbox there -- "Remember me". If you DO check it, the forum writes a cookie to your machine and uses it to remember you and not log you off. It doesn't have to anything to do with whether your browser remembers passwords or not.

If you do NOT check this box, then the forum will log you out automatically after some time and you'll have to log in again.

If you clear your cookies, the forum forgets you and you'll have to log in again.

Kaa

Garret
02-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I use Firefox but do not use the "remember my password feature" and I have never yet been logged out of the forum. I can come back after two weeks away and turn on my computer and I am still logged into the forum.

Well - so much for that theory then!

elf
02-02-2010, 11:00 AM
I click the box and never log out and never get logged out.

Jim Ledger
02-02-2010, 11:14 AM
If you write a lengthy reply, just keep hitting the "Preview" button and you won't get logged out.

B_B
02-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I also monitor another forum...
You monitor this one? :eek:

Garret
02-02-2010, 02:08 PM
You monitor this one? :eek:

OK - I shoulda said "participate in". Meant "monitor" as in "watch"... Guess I need to watch how I say things!:o

willmarsh3
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I've seen long posts divided into two or three parts - each one filling up about a screen.

rufustr
02-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Perhaps you were too "eloquient" for your own good.

:(:(

seafox
02-03-2010, 06:57 AM
Thankyou I will try the remember me though it does seem to remember me and preprint my name and pasword thought I still have to push the log in button

but I am so glas I am using firefox. I have not had internet at home for 4 years and in dec 2006 Internet explorer was no longer suported by microsoft and most sites no longer wor well with IF. in fact about half including yahoo, all web based mail and Internet movie data base would not work at all. so even though I do not have the latest firefox. I am sure very glad that it works and everything works except videios like Utube and hotwheels site that requires flash

thankyou for the sugestions
jeff

potterer
02-04-2010, 09:46 AM
with thrilling posts like:

Object ocombo is a ComboForm
Set Label to "DualCombo"
Set ListWidth to 300
Set Form_Margin to 10

Procedure Activating
Forward Send Activating
Integer iSize
Get GuiSize to iSize
Set Typeface to "Lucida Console"
Set FontSize to 12 8
Set GuiSize to (hi(iSize)) (Low(iSize))
End_Procedure
Procedure Combo_Fill_List
String scadena
Integer iaux

etc. etc.

That's a really silly way to do that:D

Wild Dingo
02-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I've seen long posts divided into two or three parts - each one filling up about a screen.

THAT WAS YOU???? :eek: Man you da man!!! :cool:

Ive been tryin to achieve THAT bit of fame for years but never could quite fill the screen!! :( Guess I'll have to have another go for the record huh!! ;) :p