PDA

View Full Version : borate?

sixteenfive
02-02-2010, 03:56 AM
what is it?, how do YOU use it?

donald branscom
02-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Ask the people that were trying to preserve the WAPAMA.

i am sure they know all about it.

From the internet.... Borax co.
Borate treated wood is on the rise as a safe and long-lasting method to protect homes from wood destroying organisms. There are several types of borate wood preservatives used to treat solid wood, engineered wood composites and other interior building products like studs, plywood, joists and rafters.
Borate treated wood has been used successfully for more than 50 years in New Zealand, for a decade in Hawaii - specifically to combat the voracious and highly destructive Formosan subterranean termite - and increasingly throughout the mainland United States. Borates prevent fungal decay and are deadly to termites, carpenter ants and roaches - but safe for people, pets and the environment. Borates interfere with termites' metabolic pathways when ingested through feeding or grooming, effectively killing them. Surviving termites avoid the protected wood products.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=12466&BASE

cookie
02-02-2010, 04:30 AM
This forum has a magic feature, called search,you might want to try it. ;)

sdowney717
02-02-2010, 06:02 AM
http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/homemade.html

this shows how to make your own mixed with antifreeze

Mrleft8
02-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Borate suspended in a solution of PEG (Poly Ethylene Glycol..... NOT Ethylene Glycol which is anti-freeze.) applied to bare wood at a specific rate is very effective for preventing infestations of most wood destroying organisms, and erradicating existing infestations. Borate can also be suspended in plain water, but does not penetrate the wood as well. Borate treated lumber can be difficult to paint...

Plover
02-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Interesting subject to me as I've never heard of it. As far as anti-freeze, I never liked to even get it on my hands. But talking about penetration, could it be suspended in mineral spirits or kerosene as the penetrant with out any reaction and still have its effectiveness? I know the two will drive moisture from green wood and dry nicely, but will it carry the suspended Borate(s) with it?
Thanks,
Paul

Jay Greer
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
The product is sold under the brand name "Timbor". It is effective in killing fungus spores. However it will change the Ph of the wood making fastenings more susceptable to electroylic action.
A more gentle and much more effective agent is a product known as "Consan". "Consan" is used as a mold and germ killer in hospitals and dairys as well as commercial food preparation business.
http://consan.biz/institutional.html
Jay

John P Lebens
02-11-2010, 11:12 PM
I used a mixture of full strength vinegar and an enzyme cleaner with grapefruit seed oil (Biokleen All Purpose Cleaner, common in the Portland area) to both kill mold and deal with smells. It seemed to have worked extremely well.

Vinegar, grapefruit seed extract and tea tree oil are supposed to be serious killers of mold and they are also supposed to have low environmental impacts.

These are the same enzyme type cleaners that are excellent organic stain removers (animal accidents, for example). The enzymes eat the stains and eliminate the smells. I have used the stuff (Biokleen Bac-Out) on our head after a vinegar and baking soda flush. Seems to work.