PDA

View Full Version : Pygmy Hatches

Scott Thompson
02-10-2004, 02:51 PM
I am planning on building a Coho with hatches. I have been getting feedback on the boat and virtually every word spoken about the boat and the company extremly is positive.....but for the hatches. A number of folks that have built a Pygmys mentioned that their hatches leak.

I asked the company if they have addressed this issue. I was told (in a very nice way may I add) that there isn't an issue--that all hatches leak a bit.

Anyone have experieces/solutions they would like to share? Is leaking an insurmountable problem that I should not care about?
I still plan on building one, leaks or not.

paladin
02-10-2004, 04:07 PM
mine don't leak unless submerged.....and then not much...the trick izz double watertraps.....

bheys
02-10-2004, 04:51 PM
The hatches on my Pygmy Osprey don't leak. I discovered the hard way that a complete air-tight seal can be a little problematic. A partial vacuum can be formed making the hatch very hard to remove. Since that event, I have drilled a tiny hole near the top of each bulkhead in all of our kayaks. Even if the hatch did leak a bit I wouldn't be concerned. Most anything worth keeping dry is worth putting in a dry bag.