PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a Alan Buchanan 32 ft sloop

Buch32
01-31-2010, 01:42 AM
This is my first post and looking forward to taking part in discussions. I am busy restoring a A. Buchanan 32ft sloop and would be keen to hear from anybody out there with a similar sloop. Built in 1964 in Essex by J. M Shuttlewood & Son, rock elm frames and Honduran mahogany hull. Teak topsides. Lady Camelot has circumnavigated and was on her second trip when I aquired her in 2008. She was left on a swing mooring for a number of years here in New Zealand hence the restoration. :)

Larks
01-31-2010, 04:27 AM
Welcom to the forum Buch. It'd be great to see some photos of your boat/work and some info on what/how much work you are doing on her. Where in NZ are you?

PeterSibley
01-31-2010, 05:10 AM
Hello and welcome .The EnZed bunch here are a friendly and helpful mob .Good Luck .

Wooden Boat Fittings
01-31-2010, 07:13 AM
Another welcome from here in Oz. And as the former owner of a Buchanan 3-Tonner I especially hope your restoration goes well.

Is your vessel carvel or strip-planked? Any more details? Photos? What needs to be done to her?

Mike

Buch32
01-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Thank you for your quick replies and interest. I will post some pics as soon as I figure how!!. Anyway she is carvel construction, 32'x24'6''x9'3''x5'6''. Because of her being on a swing mooring for a good few years and subsequent weathering I have undertaken to do her justice and restore her properly. Figured that as she has done her duty by circumnavigating it would be the honourable thing to restore her totally and not do a patch job.Frankly I really enjoy the craftsmanship of her construction and try to duplicate as much as I can. Have stripped her completely and replaced the transom and caprails as well as stanchion bases. Busy tackling the coach roof now and will move to cockpit and deck next. Truly amazed at the craftsmen of yesteryear.

paladin
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Welcome, stay out of the Bilge unless you wear your shark proof chain mail.
Nice boat. Thorne will be along shortly to tell you how to post piktoors.