PDA

View Full Version : Bunsen burner ?

goodbasil
01-30-2010, 06:41 PM
I bought a box of stuff at a flea market and one of the goodies was a Bunsen Burner.
Haven't used once since high school, then I think the hose was connected to the natural gas line.
Would it be safe to hook it up to a propane tank?
Don't kid me now. I don't want to blow my head off.
Seems it wouldn't be much different than a propane torch.

Stiletto
01-30-2010, 06:55 PM
As long as it was through a regulator it would be OK to try it.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Different fuel gases require an appropriate oriface to get the fuel/air mixture right. The burner control may do that but I would be cautious.

Stiletto
01-30-2010, 07:32 PM
I think the orifice sleeve should take care of that.

I agree about being cautious.

Bob Adams
01-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Keep in mind Propane is heavier than air, forgetting this has been known to lead to nasty surprises!

Kaa
01-30-2010, 09:11 PM
What you need to do is to assemble a thing like that:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/kaa_photobucket/01_20090523_0202_S1.jpg

That will allow you play

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/kaa_photobucket/07_20090523_0242_S1.jpg

and have fun :D

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/kaa_photobucket/06_20060528_0103_S1.jpg

Kaa

Stiletto
01-31-2010, 01:37 AM
Wanna come to my next barbie?:eek:

seafox
01-31-2010, 04:17 AM
generally when switching from natural gas to liquid propane the oriface would be smaller.

does the fuil just go straight into the verticle pipe or is it deflected upward? if the first I would worry that it would spill down and you would have fire at top and bottom of the burner.

I am thinking it is deflected up ward and thus pulls air in the bottom . the correct air mix will happen sooner or latter and the fire will burn at that point

I would sugest lighting it with a welding torch idgniter held in a gloved hand at arms length just to be safe. if you don't have a regulator just crack the valve a bit..

btw on myth busters they were shooting holes into a propane tank inspired by the james bond movies. it reminded me of the time I drove over a propane tank with the bulldozer big cloud of white smoke but no explosion

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-31-2010, 04:36 AM
I bought a box of stuff at a flea market and one of the goodies was a Bunsen Burner.
Haven't used once since high school, then I think the hose was connected to the natural gas line.
Would it be safe to hook it up to a propane tank?
Don't kid me now. I don't want to blow my head off.
Seems it wouldn't be much different than a propane torch.

Depends....

Mostly on the propane supply pressure - and on what the burner was set up to use, in terms of fuel and pressure.

The first ones I ever met used low pressure "Town Gas" (mostly hydrogen) - we then switched to low pressure Natural Gas (mostly methane) - but I've also met high pressure propane/butane mix versions.

A bunsen set up to use a low pressure feed usually does not have hose clamps but instead uses a slip-on rubber tube on a soft-barbed spigot.

The only bunsens I've seen set up for a high pressure feed used H.P. hose and hose clips and a Lindal valve.

Rules:
1 - Check your insurance cover is current.
2 - Make sure you have ALL the expected bits - frinstance: control sleeve and an "off" tap - and that the bits are in operable condition - the rubber hose can perish.....
3 - Play with it outside first.
4 - Secure your line of retreat.
5 - Usual DNR notice/Next of Kin considerations.