PDA

View Full Version : Boat turning- progress photos



LarryJacobson
04-24-2003, 02:31 PM
First, sorry for the lengthy post...

I wanted to post a few photos and a progress report on building of Sea Cell, our 24’ Electric Launch and to thank everyone for their generous assistance, and suggestions.
Recap: Boat is Selway Fisher designed, 24’ X 6’8"., cold molded, 3/4" northern white cedar strip planked, two diagonal 1/8" layers of Spanish Cedar veneer.

I posted photos several month ago when requesting suggestions for moving the strongback. As usual I received excellent ideas which resulted in purchasing six- 5" casters. I only wish I had installed them earlier. The casters help to make the most out of the limited space of my gar…I mean workshop.

Photo 1- Hull of the Rising Sun
http://vintageboatphotos.hypermart.net/SeaCell/instern5.jpg
This shows the inside view towards the stern with most of the molds removed. Removing the molds allowed some initial sanding and cleanup prior to turning her over.

Photo 2- Raised Hull
http://vintageboatphotos.hypermart.net/SeaCell/Before.jpg
Since I will need to work on the inside of the hull, finalize the sheer, add frames, beamshelf, bilge runners, etc. before I can glass, and add the keel and stem, I will need to turn the hull over again. So I wanted to build something that would make turning a little easier the next time. Yes, I realize that most of this work could have been accomplished while the molds were being erected so that the hull would not have to be turned more than once.

Photo 3- A half turn
http://vintageboatphotos.hypermart.net/SeaCell/partway2.jpg
I had incorrectly assumed that once lifted the hull would easily rotate within its slings- LOL! So, first, removed the strongback. Since I didn’t have old mattresses or tires, I used an inflatable AERO bed to leverage the hull so that it allowed the weight of the hull to turn itself over. Piece of cake-nearly.

Photo 4- Why does the hull look upside down?
http://vintageboatphotos.hypermart.net/SeaCell/After.jpg
Once the hull was upright, we attached a cradle to the strongback, lowered the hull and rolled her back into the workshop.

Lessons learned…
Cradle was build 8" higher than it needs to be, but it looked good on paper- so will cut down. Inner stem was left too long so it had to be cut back fit in the shop. The entire process took two very long days with the assistance of a VERY understanding spouse. It will go faster next time but wouldn’t want to do this every weekend.

Reaching this milestone would not have happened without the help of the forumites- many thanks- Larry

Ariel
04-24-2003, 02:36 PM
How beautiful! Congratulations on your achievement...keep us posted on your progress....

Concordia..41
04-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Don't cha' just love it when a plan comes together!!!

Great job and great pictures!

Tonyr
04-24-2003, 07:56 PM
What fasteners did you use to join the strips? There seems to be some disagreement in the literature (and between designers) as to whether galvanised boat nails are suitable, or whether it is worth paying the estra for bronse or stainless.
I am starting a similar sized boat, but 3/4" cedar strips only, no overlay of veneer. It will be epoxy/glassed on the exterior.

Thanks, Tony.

Rich VanValkenburg
04-24-2003, 09:49 PM
This is a cool project. Nice job!

Rich

brian.cunningham
04-24-2003, 11:32 PM
way :cool: transom.

Why did you pull the molds before flipping it?
First time I've seen that.

JimD
04-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Great work, Larry. Looking forward to your next post

LarryJacobson
04-25-2003, 04:43 AM
Tony,

I only used fasteners (mostly dry wall screws) during the gluing. Once the epoxy set all screws were removed and holes filled. Strips were bead and cove which helped reduce gaps but not all that critical.

Side note: I had originally planned to leave the SS staples in when gluing the first veneer layer. But became paranoid after reading Ian Nicolson's book and imagining the hull bleeding from oxidized staples after a few years. Consequently I removed all (well 99.9%) of about 20,000 staples. I'm so fast at it that I'm about ready to complete on the pro staple removing circuit.

Brian,

I hadn't planned to remove the molds until the boat was about to be turned and supported in its slings. However, I needed to remove several of the molds to get inside. After doing that discovered I could remove most of them while maintaining stability (the hull was remarkably stiff at this point). Once I had so much open space decided to take advantage of it and begin sanding and clean up.

-Larry

Wild Dingo
04-25-2003, 05:27 AM
Shes a flamin rippper Larry!! :cool:

Such good work deserves a long post dont apologize!

Chadd Hamilton
04-25-2003, 08:18 AM
Looking great, Larry. Keep the pics coming!

Lion
04-27-2003, 08:56 PM
Very nice ! Look forward to progress reports.

Wild Wassa
04-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Larry, I thought stripping a boat was hard work, ... not any longer, after seeing your project. 20,000 staples ? I sometimes have trouble with just one screw. Where are the two missing staples ?

I've been sitting here for 5 minutes with my mouth wide open. I'm going to show your post to my wife who is also an experienced boat turner.

Terrific job Mate and thanks for the inspiration. I do find the site truely inspirational, ... at times.

Warren.

[ 04-27-2003, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

LarryJacobson
04-28-2003, 05:07 AM
Thanks to all for their positive comments.

Warren,

I think the missing staples are somewhere in my lower back. I detect them when I move a little to the right.

I've included one more photo of "Sea Cell" safely nestled in her cradle which was lowered 8" this weekend. I'll add a little more support to her stern and continue the adventure.

http://vintageboatphotos.hypermart.net/SeaCell/In-cradle.jpg

Scott Rosen
04-28-2003, 05:34 AM
Beautiful. Keep the pictures coming.