PDA

View Full Version : New Ceiling

davetuemmler
01-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Looking for some advise. Just finishing up an interior re-build after my re-framing and planking. It's almost time to tackle a new ceiling. The boat is made of African Mahogony on White Oak. The ceiling was done with cedar which is nice and light but soft. I could use Mahogony but was concerned about the weight.

I also need to fill screw holes on epoxy covered plywood. Of course one option is to fill with a Microlight epoxy mixture but removal might be tough.

Suggestions are appreciated. The boat is a Holiday 30, 1956 built in Holland. Vandersteen was the designer. I've owned her since 1982, located in Casco Bay, Maine.

Thanks,

Dave Tuemmler

SMARTINSEN
01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Dave, you cannot post pictures directly to the Forum. Rather you must link to them from some other source, like a photo hosting website such as Photobucket, or Picassa, or your own website, etc.

Then you can use the insert iconhttp://woodenboat.com/forum/images/editor/insertimage.gif button in create the link. You may have to edit your display options using the user CP in the upper left hand corner of the Forum page--settings and options, edit options--to get the full-featured WYSIWYG editor that will make posting of pictures easier. You can search for posts by Thorne, he explains better than I do.

davetuemmler
01-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Here's a link to my website to see photos for those interested:

http://web.me.com/stretchstudio/Holiday_30/Home.html

Looking for some advise. Just finishing up an interior re-build after my re-framing and planking. It's almost time to tackle a new ceiling. The boat is made of African Mahogony on White Oak. The ceiling was done with cedar which is nice and light but soft. I could use Mahogony but was concerned about the weight.

I also need to fill screw holes on epoxy covered plywood. Of course one option is to fill with a Microlight epoxy mixture but removal might be tough.

Suggestions are appreciated. The boat is a Holiday 30, 1956 built in Holland. Vandersteen was the designer. I've owned her since 1982, located in Casco Bay, Maine.

Thanks,

Dave Tuemmler

Thorne
01-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Quite the project!

What do you mean "fill holes on epoxy covered plywood"? Are the screws still in place, which is why you mention removal issues? Otherwise why not fill with thickened epoxy?

davetuemmler
01-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Just looking to the future, hopefully beyond my lifetime. Epoxy filled holes can be difficult to remove if anything needs to be taken apart. Not sure there is any other choice since the countersink depth it soo shallow for bungs. It has been quite the project, good to have an end in sight.

Thorne
01-26-2010, 11:48 AM
You could always wax the screws before you pre-drill the epoxy plugs and insert the screws. But if the thickened epoxy has cured, most marine-grade screws shouldn't stick too badly.

boattruck
01-26-2010, 03:43 PM
DT, I vote Alaskan Yellow Cedar, paint grade I assume, if you use one of the ready made fairing epoxies, you won't find them too difficult to dig out if (when) you ever have to remove, Cheers, BT