PDA

View Full Version : Israeli futurologist predicts terror horror

sdowney717
01-24-2010, 12:53 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/future_terror/

future terrorists remote controlled by brain implants.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141180/Intel_Chips_in_brains_will_control_computers_by_20 20

Intel is saying future computers will be controlled by brain implant chips, but can it be reversed, people's brains controlled by computers?
This stuff certainly has possibilities.

LeeG
01-24-2010, 12:54 PM
maybe people will stop using their cell phones while driving out of the parking lot into 35mph traffic.

ishmael
01-24-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm a bit surprised that nothing real big has happened in awhile. Not to give anybody ideas, but a nuke out of the ex-Soviet block, or cooked up in a garage somewhere, could make a helluva mess in Tel Aviv, New York or London. No sci-fi mind control scenario needed. Pretty easy, really.

But we shant speak of the devil.

paladin
01-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Jack...everyone has nukes on the brain...it's psycho babble...it costs too much....difficult to transport/make work/obtain good materials....it's easy enough to do a 25 kiloton job with more conventional means. No Nuke required same damage, and with a little injunooooitty the same effects.

ishmael
01-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Chuck,

I wish that were so. Once you figure how to get uranium 235 to a certain level of refinement, I think around 80 %, a big bomb is pretty easy to make. I'm not clear on an H bomb, but Hiroshima, and Nagasaki are relative child's play. Get the uranium to a certain level, which is the hardest part, bang it together with high explosives, and BANG, big. How many kilotons equivilent went off and destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki? It was many hundred.

A H bomb is a order of magnitue bigger.

LeeG
01-24-2010, 06:50 PM
and don't forget anti-matter, just put together a gram of that and whoosh, big boomaroo.

btw Jack, review the method and technology used by Al Qaeda combined with your unthinking fears that Cheney and the chicken hawks leveraged into hegemonic war against Iraq.

Terrorists don't need expensive nukes, after 9/11 even 100grams of PETN can keep the GWOT going.

Glen Longino
01-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Who needs brain implants when they have ruthless Islamic priests and young middle-eastern minds?

huisjen
01-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Futurologist? Is that with cards? Or do they use chicken entrails?

Dan

LeeG
01-24-2010, 07:48 PM
tea leaves.

with regards to the topic transhumanism will start with the folks who have the money. Terrorists don't fit that demographic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

WX
01-24-2010, 08:40 PM
If Israel was a person that person would be seeing a shrink and probably diagnosed as Bi-Polar.

Nicholas Carey
01-25-2010, 02:02 AM
Chuck,

I wish that were so. Once you figure how to get uranium 235 to a certain level of refinement, I think around 80 %, a big bomb is pretty easy to make. I'm not clear on an H bomb, but Hiroshima, and Nagasaki are relative child's play. Get the uranium to a certain level, which is the hardest part, bang it together with high explosives, and BANG, big. How many kilotons equivilent went off and destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki? It was many hundred.

A H bomb is a order of magnitue bigger.The biggest threat vis-a-vis nuclear devices is the "loose cannon" -- nukes with poor fire and inventory control systems -- that, say Russia/Pakistan/India/China/etc. affords. Cheaper and easier to buy somebody else's device the roll your own.

Manufacturing a Fat Man or Little Boy type ... gadget ... is relatively simple. You can find what you need to know at any decent university library.

John Coster-Mullen ("Atomic John"), a truck driver without a college degree has managed to reverse engineer the mechanics of Little Boy and build a precise replica of the device and its firing mechanism.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/12/15/081215fa_fact_samuels

The hard part isn't the enrichment, or the physics. The hardest part, if you're on a budget, as it were, is the actual manufacturing process. Machining weapons-grade U-235 or P-239 is likely to kill you in the process -- probably by poisoning you one way or another -- without a lot of safeguards in place.

Once you have a uranium or plutonium fission device, the upgrade to a thermonuclear device is theoretically simple: essentially all you need to do is add a bunch of deuterium (H2) and tritium (H3) to the mix. Device yield is theoretically unlimited and dependent on the amount of deuterium/tritium fuel present.

[As an aside...theoretically, there's no reason detonation of a thermonuclear (fusion) device couldn't propagate and continue to consume the atmospheric hydrogen (that would be a bit of a ... problem). The probability is tiny, but present. My dad, who used to help assemble...widgets...tells me that the first thermonuclear test resulted in a lot of guys soiling their shorts. The fireball continued to expand well past the point the theory said it should have stopped -- a lot of guys figured they'd just lit up the atmosphere and we were all toast :eek:]

Getting to boom! with a thermonuclear device, though, is problematic.

Deuterium is a stable isotope and easily extracted from seawater. Tritium is radioactive, with a half-life of 10 years. There's not a lot to be found in nature. You have to "breed" it from lithium in a heavy water reactor. According to Wikipedia, as of 1996 "only 225 kg of tritium has been produced in the US since 1955. Since it is continuously decaying into helium-3, the stockpile was approximately 75 kg at the time of the report."

purri
01-25-2010, 05:07 AM
^ so you get all the MDs and farm them for their lithium?

WX
01-25-2010, 05:29 AM
Why not just build an EMP? You can shutdown a lot of stuff with one of those.

ishmael
01-25-2010, 06:26 AM
Nicholas,

Thanks for that refresher. I think.

It's been years since I worked around the stuff, and that was on the environmental end looking for stray nuclides in air, water and soil. I do remember how easy it looked, especially if you had some money to hire technicians and put together a shop. Uranium, and correct me if I'm wrong, is a beta particle emitter, so is a more difficult thing to work safely. Plutonium you can do in a negative pressure glove box.

WX,

EMP is basically just a big eplosion, eh?

God forbid that some mutt does either. The world is screwy enough now. Let's all of us sit down, eat some paella, and toast one another with a nice cup of tea.

Now that we've got the FBI computers on alert, I want to thank them for the work they do. I'm going to shut up now, because I don't want to give any information to people who might use it for ill.

SamSam
01-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Jack...everyone has nukes on the brain...it's psycho babble...it costs too much....difficult to transport/make work/obtain good materials....it's easy enough to do a 25 kiloton job with more conventional means. No Nuke required same damage, and with a little injunooooitty the same effects.Terrorism doesn't need a whole lot of bodies or material damage to work. Like you say, it's on everybody's mind. It's like a psycho bubble, poke it with a pin...