PDA

View Full Version : help with info on design repair a hydraulic anchor windlass

Soundman67
01-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Hello all,
I have been here for a while now reading and posting once in a while.
about 6 months ago I bought myself a nice 60 year old converted wooden fishing boat. I have been living aboard her since I bought her.
As I am going through the boat and trying to get her all in perfect working order I am finding quite a few things that need to be replaced and repaired.
This weekend I am working on the Hydraulic system that powers the anchor windlass.
Originally this was a belt driven pump run off the 4-71 diesel engine.
The pump was taken out a while ago it seems. Everything else seems to be there. I sourced a good sized pump and bought the right hoses to replace what needed to be replaced I think. There is about a 25 gallon reservoir and the valve is on the housing for the cable drum. There is a filter system in place and I can still get elements for it too. I am just a little unclear of how this ran.
Do these pumps run all the time? or should I put in an electric clutch on the pump? The original setup looks like it has a bypass hose from the pump back to the reservoir. The pump I bought doesnt have a way to hook that up. Most designs I have seen has the fluid bypass at the valve.
So before I go and ruin a bunch of parts and possibly hurt myself I would love to get my hands on any reading material I can to help me understand the design of a system like this.

Thanks in advance.

Doug
:o

Ron Williamson
01-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Try this forum.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/
R

Soundman67
01-24-2010, 10:39 AM
thanks for the post. good reading there.

PeterSibley
01-24-2010, 06:18 PM
I suggest you contact Zane Lewis on this forum .He's our hydraulics expert .Put his name into the search function at the top of this page .He's pretty cluey and helpful .
Peter

Soundman67
01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Well so far I have been reading as much info as I can on hydraulics and I have decided to change out a few more things to keep the boat current. It seems the old system was a closed center with a variable pump. I am changing it over to an open center with a constant pump.
So I am changing out the low pressure return hoses with high pressure lines and I am changing out the valve to a 12v solenoid operated valve. This will give me the ability to put control on the deck beside the windlass as well as in the cabin at the helm.

Boy its nice to have Princess Auto here in Vancouver to get the hydraulics from.

Doug

J. A.Tones
01-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Greetings Soundman - what is your boat, builder etc. I have a 36 ft ex gill net boat that was built by Sathers Boatyard in New Westminster in 1969 - Volvo power.
Currently undergoing a prolonged re-fit for a third "conversion - second one was mine nearly 20 yrs ago but wanted some things different <grin>
We are in Sidney and Penta is on the hard in my back yard near the airport.
Good luck on the winch, mine is electric built by Anniville Machinery but probably very similar otherwise. I stripped all the hydraulics off during my first "conversion" so can't help you there much.
Cheers
John Tones Penta
Sidney, BC