PDA

View Full Version : plastic staples?

plankit
01-23-2010, 01:11 PM
does anyone have info on plastic fastners? there was a article initWB a while ago about it but, the info I found was in new zealand.anybody know of distibutors in the states? look for information.thanks

MKane
01-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Try googling Raptor. I think you will find them.

MK

Or use this link

www.raptornails.com

Thorne
01-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Worth a search of this Forum, been discussed here before.

plankit
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
thanks for the information,I thought there was something in the states. sorry for the old subject matter.

seo
01-28-2010, 08:56 PM
When cold-molding a coach roof top, I couldn't find the plastic raptors that you're asking about. Instead I used a pneumatic stapler to fasten the layers, stapling through bands of plastic "strapping" material that you see holding heavy packages onto pallets and such. After the glue kicked, pulling on the strapping pulled the staples out. The next layer of epoxy filled the old holes.
There are probably good reasons for using the plastic ones, but the method described above worked well.
As a note, we did vacuum-bag after gluing and stapling, so to some extent the staples were just there for alignment. My guess is we could have gotten along without the vacuum better than without the staples. But that's just a guess.

seo
01-28-2010, 08:57 PM
I should have said that we used plain steel staples, which are very cheap.

bertho
01-30-2010, 05:28 AM
no doubt than vacuum is much better than stapples.. but, is some other variables/cost involved on the vacuum process, as the skill of the workers..(i'm in the philippines..) , and some other risk. (burnout power :rolleyes: at the wrong time..just for example.) I choose to stay "classic" with raptor stapples , a lot (more than 10.000 for my two layers.!!..) and the result is not bad , and safe, stapples remaing on the hull. i'm sure i will never have a rusting point with a broken steel stapple.. :(
but if you work on a small scalle project, just vacuum ! with few plastic stapple to position the ply, that the perfect/easy way to do !
by the way, thanks to the raptor commercial service.. very nice and efficient.. !
www.fusionschooner.blogspot.com (http://www.fusionschooner.blogspot.com)
cheer's
bertho