PDA

View Full Version : Things we don't give much thought to

John Smith
01-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Yesterday I caught a piece on the History Channel about how they make Tootsie Roll Pops. Quite interesting, but I caught it in the middle.

It was followed by a large bakery making cup cakes. Chocolate, creme filled, with chocolate icing and white squiggle on top.

First, a huge tub mixes the batter, mixing it with air in amounts dependent upon the particular product at the time.

HUGE cup cake pans come along on a conveyer belt, and proper amount of batter is quickly squirted into each. Then they go through a very long oven with various heat levels in different parts.

Controled temperature for creme being squirted in as they go by,

The pans flip and the cakes fall out, upside down. Pans go on way, where they are automatically cleaned and greased and returned to the beginning to get reloaded and go through this all again.

The cakes travel a couple of feet, are flipped (back to upside right) onto another belt. They now go through getting frosted and "squiggled". Somewhere along here is a 200" oven with temp controlled by heated oil flowing through it.

42,000 cup cakes a day. I belive this was "Flowers" bakery. Not as big as some of the other bakeries, but quite impressive.

paladin
01-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Good grief...I just made 18 and my back hurts already.....and I put diced cinnamon apples, raisins and nuts in mine....and I used real butter and cream.

Nicholas Carey
01-22-2010, 05:36 PM
I used to have a friend who was a "process engineer"...something like that, anyway. He designed production lines like these, and came up with the ideas for the machines necessary to do the job, if it didn't already exist. Other engineers, of course, did the actual machine design.

paladin
01-22-2010, 08:09 PM
I have a friend in Portsmouth, Virginia like that.......I design toys and how they go together etc and he figures out the fastest and cheapest way to manufacture it without sacrificing quality...and he's damn good. But I do make him work hard at it...I don't get sloppy and let him clean it up.

Keith Wilson
01-22-2010, 09:58 PM
That's what I've been doing most of my life; designing production machinery of one kind or another. Machines to make automobile airbags, flat-pack batteries for Polaroid, various kinds of medical devices, toothbrushes, dot-matrix printheads (remember those?), razor packaging for Gillette, semiconductor wafer cleaning - also palletizers and depalletizers, wall panel assembly machines, lots of different stuff. It's fun. No food, though; that's kind of specialized.

bobbys
01-22-2010, 10:18 PM
I fixed the roof in a sgetty factory in NJ years ago.

I forget which one but it was a name brand.

A very big building with sgetty going day and night.

The odd thing was no body was around it was all automated.

They had 55 gallon drums of Spinach noodles that were broken.

The fellow working there gave me a 5 gallon bucket to take home and cook as it was ok just broken.

I have not eaten Spinach Pasta from that month ever again.

Keith Wilson
01-22-2010, 10:33 PM
We used to joke that we'd adjust the price for a job depending on whether the test samples were useful to take home or not. The toothbrush job was good that way. I had a whole pile of razor blades for a while; pity I have a beard.