PDA

View Full Version : tata nano to quadrouple in price

seafox
01-22-2010, 05:03 AM
read tonight that the tata company of india will be changing the nano for the american market with air bags, longer nose to protect pedestrians ( how does that work?) and engine upgrades to cut polution also they have to "improve" the stearing wheel? released in india for under $2000 sold in europe for $2300 promased in america for $2500 now expected to cost $8000

thankyou dear goverment for protecting me to destitution and death

seanz
01-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Buy a bicycle.

Bob Adams
01-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Thank you dear government from keeping a POS deathtrap out of this country. (maybe)

Rapelapente
01-22-2010, 05:40 AM
It Cant be sold "as is" in Europe either.... we also have drastic pollution and safety regulations. And that's good !

seanz
01-22-2010, 06:07 AM
The dollar?
:D

George.
01-22-2010, 07:08 AM
I find it fascinating that one can buy a motorcycle, which obviously has no airbags, etc., but not a simplified car.

Paul Pless
01-22-2010, 07:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApYPzyPnFOs

'course it costs about three time what the quadruple priced nano does

Paul Pless
01-22-2010, 07:17 AM
European regulations also call for air bags and a longer nose (the idea is that pedestrians are thrown to one side not scooped up by the hood - recent european cars have this) maybe pedestrians should have to wear helmets

S/V Laura Ellen
01-22-2010, 07:24 AM
I find it fascinating that one can buy a motorcycle, which obviously has no airbags, etc., but not a simplified car.

I also find it interesting that some states have seatbelt laws but don't require motorcycle riders to wear a helmet.

carioca1232001
01-22-2010, 07:48 AM

You hit the nail on the head !

The Nano was designed for the Indian market, in particular for those buyers who would normally buy a motor-cycle on which the whole family is straddled across, through town and country.:rolleyes:

No side-car either, just the two-wheeler.

So whatīs wrong with giving this lot a bit of comfort, eh ? :D

And there are long waiting queues for prospective customers.

carioca1232001
01-22-2010, 07:59 AM
......So why the huge difference in price between the US and Europe?

Good question.

Why are Tataīs pick-ups priced in Brazil slightly lower than their equivalents in the local market ? They are available for a pittance in Uruguay.

Pick-ups in this country have moved across the board from their position as utility itemīs for workmen, to the elevated status currently conferred on them by the wealthier classes.

Dan McCosh
01-22-2010, 08:56 AM
The base Nano is about $2,500 in India, quickly gets up to about $4,000 with options. This compares to the cheapest Pontiac today, which is about $6,000. It is being modified with major body changes for Europe, not the US. Its top speed of 65 mph might limit its appeal in the US. Also might note that is the rear body being extended for crash protection rather than the nose. It shouldn't be surprising that the car with the lowest manufactured cost quickly jumps when modified for export from India. Airbags alone are close to the cost of the car, which is expected to be profitable in volumes of about one million per year in India. It is back-ordered for about four years, and the primary production plant has not yet been built.

Keith Wilson
01-22-2010, 09:58 AM
thankyou dear goverment for protecting me to destitution and death Sorry, but I don't want to breathe the exhaust of a Nano without pollution controls, and I expect you don't either. I remember what the air was like in most US cities in the 1960s.

I think the price quote for Europe is simply wrong; the safety and pollution regulations there are at least as stringent as in the US.

If you really want a minimalist car, there are plenty of older ones around. You can probably find a decent 1960s pickup truck for not much money.

George.
01-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't want to breathe the exhaust of a Nano

Wait for the electric Nano.

seafox
01-22-2010, 01:16 PM
the story was dated jan 21 2010 on worldcarfan.com and used I would hope current exchange rates and stated indian price 2000 europe 2300 and expected americ at 8000.

if so as Andrew stated why the huge cost jump from europe to america ?
further I am not that great a fan of airbags wish I could opt out but then why expect freedom in america

the story just mentioned the nose was being modified not the tail. their was another story about a modified nano that they expect to sell between 2 and 5 a year that cost $220,000 with a 1600cc insteed of a 648cc 33 horse engine. the story also said the current factory is able to make 365,000 units a year

about the laws in some states force seat belt but don't require helmets that is because of federal blackmail on the belt being unresistable. here in utah IIRC for 7 running years some busybodies in the legislature tried to get adult helmate law but were beaten back by the people but they do have under 18 required and primany seatbelt law under 18. talk about constant vigilance in the fight for the least bit of freedom.

I have heard it suggested car drivers need helmets also

seafox
01-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I remember back in the 70s back when mechanics illistrated was still in the ~ 6 by 8 inch size that General motors subsiduary in south east asia was building a truck called the tiger for much lower cost than any american truck and selling it with out a bed. even then thought it would be a neat vehicle to have

another question last year utah made ATVs and UTVs able to be liscened if they met motorcycle saftey requirements but one of the rule forbid putting largerwheels/tires on them. I wonder why?

Dan McCosh
01-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Sorry, but I don't want to breathe the exhaust of a Nano without pollution controls, and I expect you don't either. I remember what the air was like in most US cities in the 1960s.

I think the price quote for Europe is simply wrong; the safety and pollution regulations there are at least as stringent as in the US.

If you really want a minimalist car, there are plenty of older ones around. You can probably find a decent 1960s pickup truck for not much money.

The Nano meets current Euro emission standards--which are not as stringent as the US. A 1960s pickup would be about 100 times worse, not counting CO2. The Nano has much the same capacities as the mid-1950s VW Beetle, but is about two-and-a-half times more fuel efficient. Highway mileage is about 70 mpg. FWIW--I spent a half-day with some of the Nano engineering team about a week ago. It is quite an impressive engineering feat, if you see low cost as a technological achievement.
RE: Europe costs--there are classes of car in Europe that do not have airbags, which in this price range add substantially to the basic cost of the car. Dunno how the Nano fits into this.

Michael D. Storey
01-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I would suggest that the big variation between US & Euro prices is largely a product of marketing study. US drivers have, as a group, and of course there are exceptions, a greater dependence on their cars than many/most Euros. Also, the US consumer is viewed by many in much of the world as a font of endless moolah.
This would happen all the time back in the mid 60's to mid 70's, the Golden Age of European imports, when you could get a two-cylinder Frog Mobile, a belt-driven car from Holland.......

seafox
01-22-2010, 05:09 PM
what was the belt driven car was it the delf, and why call it a frog mobil? that sounds french?

Mr McCosh. what about the tata pickup that was mentioed being sold in south america do you have an opinion on it?

having a car you could travel around in at 70 mpg would be great especally if origional cost was 2500 insteed of 8 grand.

last year in smithsonian magizine their was a artical argueing seatbelts by taking away percived danger encourage less safe driving. I've long though that they cause people to fall asleep at the wheel by holding them still

Michael D. Storey
01-22-2010, 05:17 PM
The Frog was the 2 CV Citroen
The Dutch was the Daf
About MPG: I was interested in trading my 98 F150 w/ 330K in on a new one last yr when there was a $4,000 incentive. But, in those 11 yrs, there was not one inch, not one drop better mileage (what is the metric word for mileage?) I can not accept that in over a decade there could not have been substantial improvements. If a Ford Truck was not such a good truck, Ford would be down the ****ter with GM. I do not feel that there is much initiative to improve this crisis.

Dan McCosh
01-22-2010, 05:31 PM
what was the belt driven car was it the delf, and why call it a frog mobil? that sounds french?

Mr McCosh. what about the tata pickup that was mentioed being sold in south america do you have an opinion on it?

having a car you could travel around in at 70 mpg would be great especally if origional cost was 2500 insteed of 8 grand.

last year in smithsonian magizine their was a artical argueing seatbelts by taking away percived danger encourage less safe driving. I've long though that they cause people to fall asleep at the wheel by holding them still

I'm not familar with the Tata pickup. The only Tata products I've seen are the Nano and their Jaguar line.

paladin
01-22-2010, 09:19 PM
The problem is the machine has too many wheels....if it's front wheel drive, remove one rear wheel and center the other...legally in the U.S, it can be registered as a motorcycle......problem solved.

paladin
01-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I just took a look at it...rear engine rear wheel drive, center the front wheel, remove the front fenders, reshape the front and Bob's your uncle.

Lucky Luke
01-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Sorry, but I don't want to breathe the exhaust of a Nano without pollution controls,........................
..........you can probably find a decent 1960s pickup truck for not much money.

....and of course the 1960 pick-up will be doing 40mpg++, exhaust air as clean as morning fresh air in Montana, and will nicely push away gently without hurting them any pedestrian it can hit...!!!!!:rolleyes:

Keith Wilson
01-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Now, now, I wasn't serious. I like to poke at seafox; he's so earnestly mad.

Lucky Luke
01-22-2010, 11:21 PM
I just took a look at it...rear engine rear wheel drive, center the front wheel, remove the front fenders, reshape the front and Bob's your uncle.

Engine near rear wheel drive, front wheel centered, front as I like it...and that's my "car"! :1,000 US$, Chinese made, ovre 120mpg, perfect so far (10,000miles), and I love feeling my wife's body rubbing my back.....mmmmhhhhh ;)!

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/lucky-luke-vn/Cubtom-1.jpg

I would of course rather use a Nano if I had to take a whole family with along with me, but would hate the a*** h*** who forbids me to do so and obliges me to keep carrying them on the bike! Happily, Indian authorities are more tolerant (intelligent?).

What is the percentage of people who simply can't afford a car in the US, or are obliged to drive one without insurance since their license has been taken away for 5mph over-speeding, like thousands and thousands in Europe?

Can't you guys see that this whole "security" thing is just an industry? Just like this new "scanners" that you guys (US) want us to go through , just because your "intelligence" services "forgot" to inform Airports security (or actually did not give a s***t!: just sit on their a** doing nothing!) that this bloke was "Mad-Quaida" trained? Now, "security" industries want to have million dollar contracts (+ rent thousand of "security" people)!!!:mad: Bull- fokking Crap!!!

George.
01-23-2010, 07:05 AM
The Nano meets current Euro emission standards--which are not as stringent as the US. .... Highway mileage is about 70 mpg.

I would guess that a Nano built for Euro standards would pollute far less per trip than a Hummer built for US standards, so the emissions argument is bogus.

Why is it more expensive in the US? Probably for the same reason that so many things are more expensive in the US nowadays. Because Americans spend more carelessly than just about any other people. If they run out of money they just charge it.

Syed
01-23-2010, 07:10 AM
I would guess that a Nano built for Euro standards would pollute far less per trip than a Hummer built for US standards, so the emissions argument is bogus.

Why is it more expensive in the US? Probably for the same reason that so many things are more expensive in the US nowadays. Because Americans spend more carelessly than just about any other people. If they run out of money they just charge it.

Higher price could be due to some sort of 'local handling charges'.

George.
01-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Higher price could be due to some sort of 'local handling charges'.

Yes, everyone involved probably demands a 15-25% tip, compounded continuously. :D

Dan McCosh
01-23-2010, 11:56 AM

The comparison to a Hummer is obviously bogus. The Euro standards are considerably looser in the standard for smog-forming NOX. This means, for one thing, it is far cheaper to make a diesel in Europe that meets those standards than certifying it for the US. The cost differential will be about $1,500 or so when the next round of emission regulations kick in, comparing a current Euro-standard diesel to a certified US model. By then, Euro engines will also be quite a bit more expensive. The NOX standard in the US is driven by the exemption originally granted mainly for the greater Los Angeles area, and now has been expanded to much of the rest of the country.
The mandatory airbag is far more significant in the case of the Nano, however. With a basic cost structure that low, a complete airbag system could end up as 30% of the cost of the entire vehicle.

FWIW, these are production costs, not retail prices. Pricing is set by the market.

Dan McCosh
01-23-2010, 12:14 PM
It's called WonderBra (http://www.wonderbrausa.com/).

It's amazing how the British managed, a hundred years ago, to try English phonetic spellings of Chinese and Hindu, and managed to come up with modern American slang. Talk about perverts.

seafox
01-23-2010, 10:09 PM
my flash player is not working yet so please tell me what wonder bras have to do with tata pickups?

Oh Keith that is so wonderfull " earnestly mad" it sounds so much better than rectally derived a forumite assodiated with some of the facts Ive reported here. I loved the term so much I wrote it down so I could learn to spell it.
I would rank in the top three all time phrases with "Unrequited Desires" the bame of my Bolger Surf and "eclectic esotericas" ( which I had planed to name my busness but every one I tried it out on said "Huh?")

Mr McCosh you wrote " the NOX standard in the US is driven largely by the "exemption" in the LA area and has now been expanded to most of the rest of the US. was that susposed to be "restriction?"

I am working on a "specally constructed vehicle " and had ment to power it by an 11 horse small engine do you think I will run into emission problems as I understand they even have those for motor cycles now ?

also productions cost are what have been talked about in the news stories? not expectd retail? isn't that a little strange since if the factory makes something for I doller I don't think any one expects to pay a doller at the retailer. I would have thought those were manufacture sugested retail prices. since the story about the premeir of the nano said that they were taking a lottery for the first 400,000 buyers in india ( to see who got which first) it seems like they could simply be captalist and raise the price there till demand is lowered to equel supply and also make a nice premium

that brings up another question. in normal retail its said if the factory produces a thing for a buck it should sell it for 2$ the wholesaler sell it for 4$ and the MSRP is set at $8
then if a car or ATV or moterbike cost $1000 to make at the factory what does the dealer buy it at? and what does he sell it to the public for on adverage?

thankyou for the infor and for all your good posts