PDA

View Full Version : too funny... I'm in MENSA so I know what I'm talking about.

Paul Pless
01-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I've been in MENSA since I was 14, and have been a professional cook for like 18 years, off and on. I know what I'm talking about.spew:D:D

damn blighty, going off all ljb5 on us on a fried chicken thread

Michael D. Storey
01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Are you in Mensa, or is Mensa in you? How is this different than, 'I'm from the government. I'm here to help?'

Phillip Allen
01-19-2010, 03:45 PM
No one in Gubbimint employ is in MENSA.

you forgot McNamara

seanz
01-19-2010, 03:47 PM
McNamara is 'retired'.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-19-2010, 03:47 PM
I know a few people who are in MENSA who ain't that bright. Sorry. It's a cute club about people who egotistically value their own mental image. (not that I don't think you know about fried chicken)

bobbys
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
I always took the good Captain to be Polish but i spected he wuz scmart all along!

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I'd rather eat baked chicken, with a little BBQ sauce on the side.
Hmmm....speaking of getting baked....

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
It was only a matter of time before someone tabled an objection.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Kevin is DEFINITELY Mensa material tho..:D

MiddleAgesMan
01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I used to be a member of Intertel (Mensa, too) but I don't know beans about frying chicken. :)

When folks used to ask what Mensa or Intertel was all about my standard answer was, they're social organizations for people who have a knack for taking IQ tests.

isla
01-19-2010, 04:15 PM
I know a few people who are in MENSA who ain't that bright.

Maybe they are just bright in ways that you don't recognise? :D

Phillip Allen
01-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I used to be a member of Intertel (Mensa, too) but I don't know beans about frying chicken. :)

When folks used to ask what Mensa or Intertel was all about my standard answer was, they're social organizations for people who have a knack for taking IQ tests.

someone needs to come up with a wisdom quotient

I have observed folks with high IQ that were fools

Paul Pless
01-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I have observed folks with high IQ that were foolsWhat's more pathetic? smart fools or dumb fools?

I've always thought that it just might be easier to be happy if you're dumb.

Bruce Taylor
01-19-2010, 04:26 PM
And snores loudly, waking up with a tongue like an alligator's back and a head like a sponge full of mud.

I don't know about his chicken, but the man knows how to whip up a batch of home-cooked simile. :cool:

Keith Wilson
01-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Here are the test scores. (http://www.mensafoundation.org/Content/AML/NavigationMenu/Join/SubmitTestScores/QualifyingTestScores/QualifyingScores.htm#NotApplicable) I'm in, I guess, if I wanted to be.

Paul Pless
01-19-2010, 04:37 PM
I guess I would be too, based on my ACT.

paladin
01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
There's a few........

paul oman
01-19-2010, 05:36 PM
"see the happy moron,
he doesn't give a damn.
I wish I was that moron.
Gee gads, perhaps I am!"

"As I was walking up the stair
I meet a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today.
I wish, I wish he'd go away!"

"I'm such a bad cook the flies
got together and bought me a
screen door!" - Rodney Dangerfield

Phillip Allen
01-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Here are the test scores. (http://www.mensafoundation.org/Content/AML/NavigationMenu/Join/SubmitTestScores/QualifyingTestScores/QualifyingScores.htm#NotApplicable) I'm in, I guess, if I wanted to be.

hey, I'm in too...fat, failed bricklayer carreer and all...not a club I'd want to belong to either (and they wouldn't want me in)

Tristan
01-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Speaking of test scores, I was a sorry college student, a biology major whose grades were so low I wasn't allowed in the biology honorary. I took the GRE's and it seemed to me I did OK, so I took my scores in to the dean of graduate school along with my application for grad school in marine biology. He'd told me that because of my sorry course grades he'd only consider me for admission if my GRE's were high. He looked at the GRE scores and his eyebrows went up. I didn't know what that meant, didn't know whether to s--t or go blind. He seemed amazed that such a f--k up as myself could have scored as high as I did. I was admitted, became a instructor, finally full professor. Lucky!

MiddleAgesMan
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
My Navy GCT would have qualified at 71 but I didn't know it until I followed that link just now. My best bud at A-school scored a perfect 75, btw, so I was the dummy of the pair.

I took two tests administered by Mensa at a single sitting, CTMM and Cattell. I failed the first (96th percentile) but made it based on the Cattell score (99.7 percentile).

As an example of the small-world phenom, I met a lady back in the early 90s by the name of Aurora Trischka (yes, Tony's little sister). After some time getting acquainted the Cattell name was mentioned (her mother's maiden name?). I told her I had qualified for Mensa based on a test by the name Cattell. She said her grandfather was the developer of that test.

leikec
01-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Quote - "I went to one "meeting" and never have I seen so much pasty skin, acne, greasy hair, tiny eyeglasses, and general ineptitude."

This sounds just like my high school graduation...minus the talk about logical positivism and comparative notes on where to find a good price on a six-pack of Labatts....

Jeff C

Tristan
01-19-2010, 06:35 PM
I thought Mensa was what afflicted women every month. You mean you can test for it? If I was a woman I'd opt out of that test.

MiddleAgesMan
01-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Same root....nooooooo, I won't go there. :)

johnw
01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Funny, I qualify based on PSAT, SAT and GRE scores, but according to Milo I'm a real dummy.

Never did see the point of Mensa, unless it's a place to get laid. I'm guessing, based on the meaning of 'social disease,' a 'social organization' would be all about that.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-19-2010, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=isla;2459721]Maybe they are just bright in ways that you don't recognise? :D[/QUOTE

No, sorry, that isn't it.;)

I always liked the Meyers Briggs (think that's it) They have a question that goes like this:

Have you ever had any black tarry bowel movements?

I was never sure how to answer that.:D

However, if I posted the question in the bilge, no doubt I would get a host of answers in no time;)

johnw
01-19-2010, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=isla;2459721]Maybe they are just bright in ways that you don't recognise? :D[/QUOTE

No, sorry, that isn't it.;)

I always liked the Meyers Briggs (think that's it) They have a question that goes like this:

Have you ever had any black tarry bowel movements?

I was never sure how to answer that.:D

However, if I posted the question in the bilge, no doubt I would get a host of answers in no time;)

Like, 'Yes, you have.' Go ahead and wonder how we know...

johnw
01-19-2010, 07:31 PM
The flop house philosopher is wearing no clothes.

That's the advantage of having your arguments on the internet.

coelacanth2
01-19-2010, 11:34 PM
I saw the results of my childhood IQ test as I was leaving high school. Guidance counsellor tried to prevent me, 'bout the onliest time I ever got (moderately)fired up at a schol official. 70 - "dull normal". I've been using it as an excuse for my lack of performance ever since.

bobbys
01-19-2010, 11:58 PM
I admire the Mensa people i know that rent from me.

They pay there rent!

purri
01-20-2010, 01:49 AM
and the there's EI (emotional intelligence). There any hissy fits certainly get youse disqualified.

TimH
01-20-2010, 02:03 AM
If I was in MENSA I wouldnt tell anyone.

stevebaby
01-20-2010, 02:20 AM
Might just be. under 30 posts and he's making pointed personal comments.

Bogus personas are a big no-no, right? Anyone feel up to an IP trace?Why bother...they will be hoist by their own petard.

stevebaby
01-20-2010, 02:33 AM
If I was in MENSA I wouldnt tell anyone.I saw a TV doco about IQ and Mensa once. There was a man who could blitz a Stanford-Binet and answer every question in lightning fast time. He was better than every other person who had attempted the test.
He lived of welfare payments, on a beach, and caught fish a lot. He simply couldn't relate in any meaningful fashion, with people of "normal" intelligence, and he was probably one of of the loneliest people in the world.
The next highest scorer was a gregarious and happy man, and he drove a bus for a living. He was smart enough to realize that he could do his job well,instinctively, and spend most of his working day considering philosophical conundrums and chatting to ordinary people...and getting paid enough to keep body and soul together.
I look at so-called "high achievers", and I have to wonder...are they smarter, or more driven and ruthless in pursuit of recognition?

stevebaby
01-20-2010, 02:34 AM
I saw a TV doco about IQ and Mensa once. There was a man who could blitz a Stanford-Binet and answer every question in lightning fast time. He was better than every other person who had attempted the test.
He lived off welfare payments, on a beach, and caught fish a lot. He simply couldn't relate in any meaningful fashion, with people of "normal" intelligence, and he was probably one of of the loneliest people in the world.
The next highest scorer was a gregarious and happy man, and he drove a bus for a living. He was smart enough to realize that he could do his job well,instinctively, and spend most of his working day considering philosophical conundrums and chatting to ordinary people...and getting paid enough to keep body and soul together.
I look at so-called "high achievers", and I have to wonder...are they smarter, or more driven and ruthless in pursuit of recognition?
That was a rhetorical question btw.

seanz
01-20-2010, 02:58 AM
People can be so cruel............

:D

stevebaby
01-20-2010, 03:09 AM
I'm starting to wish I'd followed this advice. I really am.The kind of people who are eligible to join Mensa are sometimes the best fighters in the playground. Size regardless. They have to be.
That busdriver was one of the happiest people I've ever seen.

isla
01-20-2010, 04:09 AM
If I was in MENSA I wouldnt tell anyone.

I agree, I'm in MENSA and never tell anyone...doh!

Paul G.
01-20-2010, 04:38 AM
Hey I'm in MENSA too so is seanz and Bigfella, they aint letting you all know but we are very BRAINY.

I have been cooking for forty odd years, the other two for about 90 between them.

We are the ****, we are the BRAINY cookies, dont forget that man!

seanz
01-20-2010, 04:47 AM
Hey I'm in MENSA too so is seanz and Bigfella, they aint letting you all know but we are very BRAINY.

I have been cooking for forty odd years, the other two for about 90 between them.

90?
Might not be too far off. I started cooking about 30 years ago.....Bigfella was the first person to cook a pavlova, so he's been at it for a while.

You're right......I like to keep my braininess a well hidden secret, ask anybody.
;)

Phillip Allen
01-20-2010, 06:07 AM
poor blighty...I think we need to cut him some slack...

it's been an interesting thread...also interesting that lj hasn't had anything to say(about himself)

Paul Pless
01-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Captain Blight has been a very good sport!

Keith Wilson
01-20-2010, 09:09 AM
I expected no less. The captain's a good guy, with a very well-developed sense of humor even about himself; an admirable thing.

ljb5
01-20-2010, 09:23 AM
it's been an interesting thread...also interesting that lj hasn't had anything to say(about himself)

Unlike you, I'm not obsessed with myself. :rolleyes:

You can make a short list of the subjects which interest me. Since none of them are being discussed on this thread, I see no reason to participate.

Phillip Allen
01-20-2010, 09:24 AM
(oh god...laughing)

pipefitter
01-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I passed the SAT by randomly coloring in the dots with patterns that amused me.

bobbys
01-20-2010, 11:57 AM
I expected no less. The captain's a good guy, with a very well-developed sense of humor even about himself; an admirable thing..

I wood suggest a star next to the Good Captains name in honor of his being a big tinker!!!!:)

David Tabor (sailordave)
01-20-2010, 09:27 PM
No one in Gubbimint employ is in MENSA.

Sotrue. I let my membership lapse years ago.:rolleyes:

Paul G.
01-21-2010, 02:24 AM
Unlike you, I'm not obsessed with myself. :rolleyes:

You can make a short list of the subjects which interest me. Since none of them are being discussed on this thread, I see no reason to participate.

Hmmm, you did participate therefore there must be a subject that interests you.

Yourself perhaps?

ChaseKenyon
01-21-2010, 11:50 PM
:eek:
My first night back to the living and vertical. Thanks guys for this thread, LOL

Joe I can't spell either, but I never let that stop me. I used to fix the technical stuff for them and let the English majors fix my spelling for me.

ey I'm in MENSA too so is seanz and Bigfella, they aint letting you all know but we are very BRAINY.

Is everyone that is a MENSA or equivalent member a certifiable qualified CHEF?

Oh and as to the meetings........You have to go to the right ones. Dr. Issac Asimov is/was a great lunchtime conversationalist. One of the absolute smartest folks I ever met at a Mensa gathering was a tree farmer from northwestern CT. Norfolk, I believe. But that was close to 40 years ago. Having a high IQ does not make ones life easier. Often the opposite. I am not one bit surprised to find many others of the same inherited capability here. It can border on dementia when the brain just takes off and drags your conciousness along for the ride.

I am back and just popping in for a short time. I have several unfinished threads here but will have to get caught up and back on track to where I was heading over the next few days.

It does seem as if we are all in good company here.

Chase:D

The Bigfella
01-22-2010, 12:40 AM
90?
Might not be too far off. I started cooking about 30 years ago.....Bigfella was the first person to cook a pavlova, so he's been at it for a while.

You're right......I like to keep my braininess a well hidden secret, ask anybody.
;)

Hang on a goddam minute... I've been defamed here... my cooking is brilliant... as long as they take plastic at the counter.

No MENSA membership for me either... not interested. I didn't even do the (supposedly compulsory) GMAT test for my MBA - they recognised my obvious brilliance and accepted me on the spot!

The Bigfella
01-22-2010, 12:42 AM
The kind of people who are eligible to join Mensa are sometimes the best fighters in the playground. Size regardless. They have to be.
That busdriver was one of the happiest people I've ever seen.

Funny you should mention that.... I've been picked for far more fights than the average bloke. Sometimes its because of my obvious wit, intelligence and humour... other times its because I'm the big bloke and they want to be the hero to beat up the big bloke.

The Bigfella
01-22-2010, 12:45 AM
I saw a TV doco about IQ and Mensa once. There was a man who could blitz a Stanford-Binet and answer every question in lightning fast time. He was better than every other person who had attempted the test.
He lived of welfare payments, on a beach, and caught fish a lot. He simply couldn't relate in any meaningful fashion, with people of "normal" intelligence, and he was probably one of of the loneliest people in the world.

To answer the last question... more driven and ruthless.

A mate I went to uni with had a brilliant mind... but that was about it... teeth rotting ('cause he didn't clean them, etc). He never used to go to lectures, would simply look at the prior exams the day before and say "yep".... then get distinctions. Last I heard, he was a warehouseman in a wiring plant.

Ron Williamson
01-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Picking a fight with the big guy,just cuz he's the big guy, ought to disqualify a fella from Mensa.
R

The Bigfella
01-22-2010, 05:21 AM
Yeah... I don't think too many of them would qualify. It cost me a broken bone once.... but you should've seen him. Two black eyes. Cocky little bugger.... an angry drunk. I dunno how, but he ended up with the cutest lady, for a while... left her with a young kid.