PDA

View Full Version : Importing wooden boat into Australia

sofala
01-17-2010, 05:54 AM
I have just come back to Australia after spending a month in the UK and want to import a wooden boat. Before I get things rolling I'm going to do some background research and was wondering if any forum members have done this before? Was it a worth while experience? The boat has a small amount of rot which can be easily cut out and has been completely stripped of paint etc.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.

skuthorp
01-17-2010, 06:05 AM
I've been wondering where you lot were, how's Hero? There has been discussion before but mostly ex US. What treasure have you unearthed? I too sometimes look at boats for rescue, or even just for sale that I'd give my eye teeth for.

Larks
01-17-2010, 06:11 AM
What have you come up with? Will it fit into a container?

yawldoingood
01-17-2010, 06:18 AM
It depends how big it is, and if it is in anyway a special boat? You said it has no paint on it, and has some rot, so you won't be sailing it. So then it's a shipping issue. If it will go in a container, it will be around 5000 pounds to ship. If it needs to be put on a flat deck container and loaded last, it will be about 8-10,000 British pounds to ship because it will need a cradle. If it needs to go on a yacht transport count on paying around 18,000pounds. In Aussie you need to pay import duty, based on the sale cost or the Australian market value, which means on the day you import, if they are having a bad hair day you are going to pay some real money and it gonna hurt. It also needs to be quarantined by AQIS and you pay them roughly about $200-300 to spray the boat. However because I am assuming it is a wood boat, then it will be a fair bit more, count on double. I would start asking yourself how special the boat is, and do you have enough money to ship it and have enough left over to fix it, or is it better to take it to Portugal and have it fully worked over there then sail it home for free. Best of luck.

sofala
01-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Hey Skuthorp,

have you finished building yet?

we are all well and Hero is growing up fast - not quite up to crewing for me yet but won't be long.

Larks,
My brother in the UK is bit of a classic boat nut and has found this one for me. She is 25ft long and will fit into a 40ft container ( may have to drop the keel to fit but may not). She is a stunner and has a very nice counter stern - not sure when she was built (1920-30s?) but looks 95% original with a small amount of rot in the cabin.

Cheers

yawldoingood
01-17-2010, 06:25 AM
If you can get it to Satun Thailand, on the Andaman sea, there is perhaps the best wood boat yard I know anywhere. http://www.pss-satun.com/wherearewe.html They do really incredible work and it's so cheap you can't believe it! The big hurdle is getting there.

Larks
01-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Hey Skuthorp,

have you finished building yet?

we are all well and Hero is growing up fast - not quite up to crewing for me yet but won't be long.

Larks,
My brother in the UK is bit of a classic boat nut and has found this one for me. She is 25ft long and will fit into a 40ft container ( may have to drop the keel to fit but may not). She is a stunner and has a very nice counter stern - not sure when she was built (1920-30s?) but looks 95% original with a small amount of rot in the cabin.

Cheers

Sounds interesting, any photos?? If it is in a container I assume that it wouldn't be much different than shipping in wooden furniture from Indo', Vietnam, India and so on. I don'tknow the process but I understand that they do a pressure fumigation so that should be the toughest hurdle to overcome.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/import/timber/furniture-items

skuthorp
01-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Hi Mark and Sophie, yes, we moved in just before christmas but no comms there yet, I'm back in Melb till tomorrow morning. Boat sounds great, not a Broads craft like his perchance?
Gotta go, lots of driving tomorow. Back thursday I think