PDA

View Full Version : Velcro

jclays
01-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Why wont Velcro even the industrial version stay stuck to the aluminum window frames of the cabin on my boat. The window coverings on some windows are attached with Velcro. After a few months the Velcro becomes un-stuck to the aluminum frame. The adhesive backing comes off the velcro pieces and no longer sticks to aluminum. Ive cleaned the aluminum with different cleaners and solvents to be sure of a clean surface ending up with the same results.
Thanks
Jim

Canoez
01-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Could be either surface prep and/or the adhesive type. There are silicone and acrylic adhesives that are generally available for the backing on pressure-sensitive Velcro. The acrylic can have some issues with oxidation and the silicone often lacks the strength necessary for a good bond. Conversion coatings and anodizing help to treat the aluminum to avoid some of these problems. A good, clean surface (alcohol or denatured alcohol to remove grease/wax, etc. and a coating on the surface that avoids oxidiation of the aluminum helps.

Garret
01-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Why wont Velcro even the industrial version stay stuck to the aluminum window frames of the cabin on my boat. The window coverings on some windows are attached with Velcro. After a few months the Velcro becomes un-stuck to the aluminum frame. The adhesive backing comes off the velcro pieces and no longer sticks to aluminum. Ive cleaned the aluminum with different cleaners and solvents to be sure of a clean surface ending up with the same results.
Thanks
Jim

Most likely oxidation - which nothing will stick to. Try sanding the aluminum to shiny & immediately epoxying it (mask to make it pretty). After the epoxy dries, attach the velcro.

I think that'll work.

AstoriaDave
01-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Well, there is Velcro and then there is Velcro. Go to the marine store and get the 3M pressure sensitive adhesive-backed velcro. Gotta be the 3M stuff. It is adhesive on steroids. I use it to attach fire extinguishers to clean surfaces!