PDA

View Full Version : Home built registration

ccx2
01-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Hey ALL, I will be finishing a 16' Garvey soon and will have to register it in my state of Virginia, USA. Does anyone know if i need to document it with the Coast Guard in any way? Seems i saw on here that someone had to put an ID plate on there boat for some Coast Guard hoop they had to jump thru? Thanks.

JimConlin
01-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Your state agency will have the hoop. They'll assign a Hull ID Number (HIN) which you will affix to the boat. They'll take some money.

rob herschel
01-15-2010, 10:43 PM
my last 2 builds, i put my own made up number on it. had a friend write me a bill of sale with the boat type, year and that number as if i had just bought it and registered it without any problem.

willmarsh3
01-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Congrats on your new build. For a 16 foot boat you don't need to get it Coast Guard documented. I built a 20 foot boat in Alabama. I applied for a HIN and the Marine police came out to inspect it and handed me the HIN stickers and some paper work. I took it to the court house and paid the registration fee. They gave me a year sticker and assigned registration numbers to put on the bow. I suppose Virginia may have a similar procedure.

AstoriaDave
01-16-2010, 04:05 AM
Rob's method may be legal in Michigan. It would not be legal in Oregon. One of the purposes of a HIN is to prevent fraud, to wit: BigBadBob steals a fine homebuilt cruiser, takes the existing HIN off, refinishes the area of removal, leaves the existing registration numbers on the bow, makes up a bogus HIN, applies it to different area of the boat, and sells his contraband to InnocentIke. InnocentIke assumes the boat is legit, and goes down the road ... until the registration sticker expires. InnocentIke trots over to the local boat registration agency and puts in for a "lost title" registration. Oops! The agency tells InnocentIke his boat is stolen, and now the "fun" begins for InnocentIke ... he is in possesion of stolen goods. Likely the original owner gets the boat back, InnocentIke is out of luck, and BigBadBob is not to be found.

When my boat was inspected as part of the HIN acquisition process, the county mountie looked it over carefully to verify that it truly was new construction before signing off and turning in the paperwork.

ccx2
01-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks All, and Horace for the links. So i see the boat doesnt need to be documented with the Coasties, but how about some kind of hull id number like a manufactuer would put on a boat for id porposes, like a serial number? Or do i just worry about my state registration.

AndreasJordahlRhude
01-16-2010, 08:57 AM
The state will assign a US Coast Guard type hull ID. In Wisconsin it's "WSZ...".

Andreas

Rich Jones
01-16-2010, 09:53 AM
In my neck of the woods, the county police marine bureau sends someone to inspect the boat to make sure it's not stolen, then engraves a HIN on the transom. Help's if you've got a friend on the force; your name gets put to the top of the list... Also, engrave the HIN in a hidden place onboard in case a thief grinds the original off the boat.

AstoriaDave
01-16-2010, 10:26 AM
In my neck of the woods, the county police marine bureau sends someone to inspect the boat to make sure it's not stolen, then engraves a HIN on the transom. [snip] Also, engrave the HIN in a hidden place onboard in case a thief grinds the original off the boat.Same deal in Oregon, except the owner is responsible for the engraving. Several ways to do this; the main requirement is that the HIN be a part of the boat's structure. A plate is OK in Oregon if it is permanently attached such that the hull will show damage if the plate is removed.

You can't pick the HIN; they issue it.

marshcat
01-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks All, and Horace for the links. So i see the boat doesnt need to be documented with the Coasties, but how about some kind of hull id number like a manufactuer would put on a boat for id porposes, like a serial number? Or do i just worry about my state registration.

VDGIF will give you a little metal plate with the HIN they issue stamped on it, which you then affix to the hull (they have instructions on where to place it). I did this in Richmond about three years ago. They did not even inspect the boat in person - they just wanted to look at some pictures of it. If I remember correctly, they wanted either a bill of sale or receipts from the building process. I had neither, so they let me sign a one page affidavit stating the boat was really home built.

kc8pql
01-16-2010, 11:36 AM
my last 2 builds, i put my own made up number on it. had a friend write me a bill of sale with the boat type, year and that number as if i had just bought it and registered it without any problem.
This is not a good idea.

ccx2
01-16-2010, 12:30 PM
VDGIF will give you a little metal plate with the HIN they issue stamped on it, which you then affix to the hull (they have instructions on where to place it). I did this in Richmond about three years ago. They did not even inspect the boat in person - they just wanted to look at some pictures of it. If I remember correctly, they wanted either a bill of sale or receipts from the building process. I had neither, so they let me sign a one page affidavit stating the boat was really home built.
Yes , that is the paperwork they sent me , affidavit,registration form, ect , but i thought that was all for the registration hull numbers that go on the outside of the hull on the bow. The metal plate numbers is what im thinking of but i didnt know that would be part of the state process. Ill check with them on that, but i believe the registration app has a line that calls for that number.

marshcat
01-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Yes, first you get the HIN, then you fill that number in the regular registration form. I think obtaining the HIN may require some kind of physical proof of the boat's existence, at least a picture.

donald branscom
01-19-2010, 05:02 PM

For a boat to be documented by the Feds it must weigh more that 6,000lbs.
Just register it with the state you live in.

donald branscom
01-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Yes, first you get the HIN, then you fill that number in the regular registration form. I think obtaining the HIN may require some kind of physical proof of the boat's existence, at least a picture.

You will need all the receipts or when you register it, or they will tax you as if you had bought the boat. (thousands?) If you built it then have your receipts ready because you paid all the taxes on all those materials ALREADY.
If the clerk does not get it, then ask to see a supervisor.
Some DMV employees are thick headed and just want to do the same thing over and over. Some are very smart.
Most people do not build their own boat, so for them it is unusual.

donald branscom
01-19-2010, 05:08 PM
This is not a good idea.
You will pay later. A lot more too.

donald branscom
01-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Same deal in Oregon, except the owner is responsible for the engraving. Several ways to do this; the main requirement is that the HIN be a part of the boat's structure. A plate is OK in Oregon if it is permanently attached such that the hull will show damage if the plate is removed.

You can't pick the HIN; they issue it. You can use a large decal and fiberglass over it. Or you can use a router .

AstoriaDave
01-19-2010, 11:34 PM
You will need all the receipts or when you register it, or they will tax you as if you had bought the boat. (thousands?)Only applies in states with a sales tax. Alta California so far has no sales tax, and does not care how much you paid for the boat. There is something special living in a state sandwiched between neighbors that do tax all purchases.

I have all the receipts (still), but do not have the heart to total them all up. It might be very depressing.

ccx2
01-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Only applies in states with a sales tax. Alta California so far has no sales tax, and does not care how much you paid for the boat. There is something special living in a state sandwiched between neighbors that do tax all purchases.

I have all the receipts (still), but do not have the heart to total them all up. It might be very depressing.
I hear ya, what started out for me as an intended quick,cheap, beat around boat that i was going to rake the leaves out of once a year and dump the tadpoles has tuned into a well thought out 16' yacht that will prob be garage kept, i dont even want to talk about the cost that has tripled.:eek: