PDA

View Full Version : woman shackled while giving birth

WX
01-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Tina Torres shows me the scars on her ankles, which just will not disappear. She has tried all manner of creams but the marks from the leg-irons she wore while she was in labour with her daughter Adora are there for life.
Tina was in a Philadelphia jail waiting to be tried when she went into labour and was taken to hospital under armed guard.
Her arms were crossed and her wrists were chained with a lock box. Her ankles were shackled together with leg-irons.
Only when she had an emergency caesarean section did the chains come off.
They were replaced immediately after the operation, to prevent her from escaping.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/8449215.stm

Captain Blight
01-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Effin' pigs.

The Bigfella
01-09-2010, 06:57 PM
America has a quarter of the world's prisoners, despite having about 5% of the globe's population.

Ahh the land of the free

sailboy3
01-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Effin' pigs.

agreed.

Phillip Allen
01-09-2010, 07:14 PM
what was the vertict in court?

never mind...charges dropped

looks like a case of aggravated assult...Citizen's arrest?

Captain Blight
01-09-2010, 07:43 PM
America has a quarter of the world's prisoners, despite having about 5% of the globe's population. Ahh the land of the free
Well, we're the "best country in the world," dontcha know.

stoneyreef
01-10-2010, 10:16 PM
But even if Senator Leach's bill passes and female prisoners in Pennsylvania do not have to give birth in chains any more, they are still parted from their babies at birth.

Oh yeah, lets cry about this one!!!! Just because you have a child does not mean you should be let go and free to take care of that child? What do you want to be put in the ritz hotel for a few months to take care of the child? Your in prison and chances are you really are not going to make that great of role model for the new child. DUH! of course they are placed with decent law abiding people!!!

Phillip Allen
01-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Oh yeah, lets cry about this one!!!! Just because you have a child does not mean you should be let go and free to take care of that child? What do you want to be put in the ritz hotel for a few months to take care of the child? Your in prison and chances are you really are not going to make that great of role model for the new child. DUH! of course they are placed with decent law abiding people!!!

I don't believe, as you seem to, that there are only two possibilities...a nursing mother is not the same as the choice of clothes to wear...taking that choice adway from the mother will allow a lawsuit in the future by the child...and for good reason

Captain Blight
01-10-2010, 10:28 PM
I would never wear a nursing mother as clothing. No matter how good the sale price was.

Phillip Allen
01-10-2010, 10:33 PM
if you don't understand what I'm trying to say then you are very limited in your communication skills...go back and look again, I tried to make it clearer

Captain Blight
01-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Oh, I understood you. I just saw the opportunity to drop some phunnei.

Phillip Allen
01-11-2010, 05:05 AM
Oh, I understood you. I just saw the opportunity to drop some phunnei.

in that case, I appologise for being such a tight-a$$

Duncan Gibbs
01-11-2010, 05:11 AM
in that case, I appologise for being such a tight-a$$

Frozen a$$ more like it! ;)

Chopped any more up yet? I bloody hope so mate!

Phillip Allen
01-11-2010, 05:14 AM
good morning/evening Duncan

I've gone through all I had from the other day and will go back to daughter's for more now...I discovered that seasoned ELM will actually burn but still cannot be split :) All I did was make shiny spots on it with the splitting maul

Duncan Gibbs
01-11-2010, 05:26 AM
No! It's the other superpower!

Phillip, try cutting a notch or two in the top with a small chainsaw and then use a sledge hammer and a log splitter together, by putting the splitter in the notch and busting its chops with a sledgy.

Duncan Gibbs
01-11-2010, 05:28 AM
The one that still hasn't bothered to cleared all its UO that litters almost every hectare of Laos.

Phillip Allen
01-11-2010, 05:36 AM
No! It's the other superpower!

Phillip, try cutting a notch or two in the top with a small chainsaw and then use a sledge hammer and a log splitter together, by putting the splitter in the notch and busting its chops with a sledgy.

too complicated to hold my interest...I have wedges and sledges as well as heavy splitting mauls...I was only offering a funny reminder of just how hard to split elm actually is

Duncan Gibbs
01-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Try 50 YO Eucalypt!

Phillip Allen
01-11-2010, 05:41 AM
buy me a ticket over there and I will :)

Duncan Gibbs
01-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Lots of it in California! Sydney Blue Gum... Hard as nails! (Sorry Gary! :o)

WX
01-11-2010, 06:12 AM
No worries Duncan, abuse like this happens all over the world...just a bit surprised it should have come out of the US.
It's more something one would expect from one of those backward Muslim countries eh?
maybe I'll start a good news thread.