PDA

View Full Version : MS OFFICE upgrade ?

David Tabor (sailordave)
01-09-2010, 01:58 PM
I need to get a more current version of Office. Mine (97) won't run WORD properly anymore b/c it's no longer supported.

I need Word, Excel and Access. Don't need every bell and whistle.

I need to do this cheaply and in such a way that I can put it on my laptop and desktop.

I am NOT spending hundreds of $$$$.

So, what are my options?

Captain Blight
01-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Sun Microsystems has a suite called OpenOffice that integrates seamlessly with XP. And it's shareware; it's free. Just to show you that it works, I typed this post in OpenOffice 3.2 and C&P'd it into the 'quick reply' box.

Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/)

htom
01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
How to use Microsoft Access Databases from Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/ms-access/ms-access.html)

GregW
01-09-2010, 06:57 PM
...put it on my laptop and desktop...
If you decide on a commercial product you'll need two licenses, one for the desktop and one for the laptop, it's going to cost you $$$$.

Ross M
01-09-2010, 07:06 PM
If you decide on a commercial product you'll need two licenses, one for the desktop and one for the laptop, it's going to cost you $$$$.

Most Microsoft Office licenses, including the Home and Student editions, cover 2 machines - one desktop & one laptop. And except for Access, the Home & Student edition would fulfill Dave's needs for $99.

Oyvind Snibsoer
01-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I'd give Open Office a try. It won't cost you anything, and you can always upgrade MS Office later if you find that you prefer it over OO.

S/V Laura Ellen
01-09-2010, 07:53 PM
... Access is basically only a UI for Excel...

Uhh...no!

David Tabor (sailordave)
01-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Most Microsoft Office licenses, including the Home and Student editions, cover 2 machines - one desktop & one laptop. And except for Access, the Home & Student edition would fulfill Dave's needs for $99.

I will probably go this route. I think the Access portion will remain on the computer and strangely enough, Excel and Access have not been affected by whatever is causing Word to not work. I don't do much w/ Access but I have two significant databases I don't want to lose or not have "access" ;) to!

Gonna check out the OO option also.

Bruce Hooke
01-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Excel can be made to do anything and everything Access does. Access is basically only a UI for Excel

As anyone who has looked at the data in a properly designed database knows, for practical use a database without a user interface is all but useless. In a properly designed database there are typically lots of fields with numeric codes that are meaningless without a key (typically coded into the user interface) and lots of linked tables that only make sense if you have a user interface linking the tables correctly.

Yes, with a lot of fairly complex VBA I can get Excel to do much of what Access can do (and some stuff that Access cannot) in terms of a functional user interface but it could easily take hours of programming to get Excel to do something I can get Access to do in 10 minutes.

Stan D
01-10-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't know much about Home & Student specifically, but if it is a version of 2007, beware that it will look very differently from previous versions and may require more memory than you may have to run well. I had the Pro 2007, and while I had the enough memory to fill the requirements, I didn't have enough to run it at a tolerable speed. It would take literally a full minute to boot up any of the programs. At the office(no pun intended) we found that we could help this issue by maxing out the memory in each computer. I just rolled back to Office 2003 at home.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I will probably go this route. I think the Access portion will remain on the computer and strangely enough, Excel and Access have not been affected by whatever is causing Word to not work. I don't do much w/ Access but I have two significant databases I don't want to lose or not have "access" ;) to!

Gonna check out the OO option also.

If you have ANYTHING you value still running on an Access 97 database, plan an exit strategy NOW - I've know XP systems suddenly lose the ability to run Access in just the same manner as you lost the ability to run Word - nasty.

Obvious options include:
New version of Access
SQL Server
MySQL
Oracle......

Choosing which of these options might take some effort and implementing a sensible solution some more effort.