PDA

View Full Version : Public Confession part deux

bobbys
01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Went to look at the phone book to send a stalking letter.

Could not read the name and address.

My Wife being a Foxy skoolteecher has reading glasses i spek just to make her look hotter.

Ok i have been ignoring this for awhile asking young people to read things for me.

Like a Balding guy taking off the baseball hat and shaving his head in an act of defiance I reached for her eyeglasses.

Ok i read the fine print then the room spun around.

Turns out I just need a tiny bit of magnification for the fine print and to tie hooks..

OK im 56 Still have lots of hair but baby blue eyes are fading.

Hows yer peepers?

TomF
01-08-2010, 03:16 PM
They're starting to suck. I've worn glasses for my mild near-sightedness for 30 years, but now I can't read a book with my glasses on, can't read a sign with my glasses off, and can't read the magnification or tie hooks anymore either, whether the glasses are on or off.

Gotta get some damned bifocals (or even trifocals), but I resent my eyes telling me I'm an old fart.

OconeePirate
01-08-2010, 03:25 PM
LOL... I'm 34 and have to wear reading glasses. I can still do most things without 'em but if I'm reading a book or working they're on. Optometrist told me I'd probably be in bifocals by the time I'm 40.

hokiefan
01-08-2010, 03:29 PM
They're starting to suck. I've worn glasses for my mild near-sightedness for 30 years, but now I can't read a book with my glasses on, can't read a sign with my glasses off, and can't read the magnification or tie hooks anymore either, whether the glasses are on or off.

Gotta get some damned bifocals (or even trifocals), but I resent my eyes telling me I'm an old fart.

I could have written this!!! Good light helps a lot, sunlight is the best. Reading glasses work for now. Wish it was just my eyes telling me I'm an old fart.

Cheers,

Bobby

htom
01-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Worn glasses since second grade. A while ago, around 50, I complained that yes, I had trouble reading tiny print. He'd just run a test on my vision and was surprized, and asked if I had a sample. I showed it to him and he laughed. "You're not supposed to be able to read that!", and recommended a 10x loupe, which worked fine. A decade later I got progressive bifocals -- and still need the loupe.

David W Pratt
01-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Presbyopia,
the vision of elders.
My readers are on a string around my neck, extra set in my sea bag.
Looking at a chart through binoculars the wrong way will substitute in a pinch.

shamus
01-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Classic! Didja get the letter sent?
I might like to read one of your stalking letters, if they're written like that!

pefjr
01-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Cataract Surgery is a good thing. Its, fast, painless, and accurate. No glasses needed after surgery except for reading and computer work. You will be getting so much light in, sunglasses are a must.

carlg
01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I'll second pefjr. Had both cataract surgeries a year ago and my vision is terific. No glasses necessary except for reading and close work.

Keith Wilson
01-08-2010, 05:00 PM
My arms seem to be getting shorter. I've never worn glasses, but at 54 I now use them for reading most of the time. I also have a set of bifocal safety glasses.

PeterSibley
01-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Multifocals ...definitely the way to go .

Robbie 2
01-08-2010, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=David W Pratt;2447971]Presbyopia,
the vision of elders.
I have worn glasses since 12 and had to change to Bifocals about 10 yrs ago but now about 2 yrs ago this has changed again:mad:........can't read books or tie flies on etc wearing specs, though with them, eyesight is still ok.

SMARTINSEN
01-08-2010, 06:48 PM
I just hit "control+"

I can still see the 64s on the ruler, but am starting to have a hard time reading the signs on the highway. I do not know how much of a benefit I would get with glasses for correcting distance vision versus the PIA that wearing glasses entails. And I am a bit leery of the surgery option....what if the doc screws up?

Stan D
01-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Presbyopia,
the vision of elders.
My readers are on a string around my neck, extra set in my sea bag.
Looking at a chart through binoculars the wrong way will substitute in a pinch.

Second this. I spent the first 40 or so years with 20/20 vision. But soon after this age, the lenses start to harden and don't focus down like they used to. Now, at 52, I have cheaters in every room, the glove box in each car, the shed. Everywhere.

The best thing I found is SafetyGlasses.com. They sell shop safety glasses with magnifiers in the bottom of the lenses, like bifocals. I'm surprised I haven't found these locally. The second best thing I found is dollar stores. While everything is not really a dollar, it's still the cheapest place to find cheaters.

Phillip Allen
01-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I think the answer is wire leaders and a small induction welder to affix the hook to the leader...simple

Hwyl
01-08-2010, 07:16 PM
You can get top of the line progressive trifocals in memory metal for about $60 from Zenni Optical. I've bought them for myself and my son and prescription reading glasses.

No more held hostage to expensive opticians.

Lew Barrett
01-08-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm 64 and have had progressives for 2 years. Before that, and starting in my 50s, I used cheaters. This is my first pair of real glasses. My vision is probably pretty good for a guy of my age and I require no correction for astigmatism or the like, but there's no kidding myself. I do need to get a new pair of specs as this one's 2 years old and just about trashed.

Getting old is about losing things.

Phillip Allen
01-08-2010, 07:30 PM
I know I've lost something but I can't remember what it was...

OconeePirate
01-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I have the most trouble with clear, black on white text. Like quality book print. Everything starts to run around the page on me after a while. Newsprint isn't as much trouble.

Lew Barrett
01-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Oh my....type running around the page! I used to have that problem when I was much, much younger....in college......trying to read my course of study while under the influence! I actually have less problem with that now! :)