PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here in the Annapolis area?

ron ll
01-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I just heard that an acquaintance and someone well known from the Shilshole marina in Seattle, was found dead floating in the water at an Annapolis marina. I don't know any details and I don't know if it happened a week ago or three months ago. Does anyone know of an incident there? Seems it may have been a case of the docks too high and no ladders altho I'm not sure that was the case. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

LeeG
01-08-2010, 01:45 PM
It happens a couple times a year. Often involving alcohol and the need to piss. A week ago anyone could disappear in seconds to minutes as the water is very cold. A few months ago they could have swam to a beach or ladder. I think a couple people have died or have been missing in the last couple months. No specifics, google away.

ron ll
01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
It's mentioned here (http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/for/2009/12/16-20/Police-health-officials-warn-public-of-cold-water-dangers.html)

Doug

That's it. Thanks Doug. Brendan was a well known long time live-aboard at Shilshole and a very skilled boat electrician. He was not a drinker, but there are many other ways of falling in the water at marinas. Shilshole's new docks now have ladders at about every fourth finger pier.

Many here in Ballard will be saddened by his loss.

TimH
01-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Rule #1295

If you are a liveaboarder go south for the winter.

BETTY-B
01-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news, Ron.

I have noticed that many marinas in the last few years have been adding those retractable ladders. Something they should have done long ago. And in my opinion, they really ought to be putting them on every finger.

A couple years ago, a heavy drinking guy was bunk surfing around PT. In the middle of the night he got off the boat and disapeared. The only trace of him was his floating wallet. While dive teams scoured the marina for days, the Port of PT was scrambling to finally put in ladders everywhere. The guy eventually turned up at a relatives house in, I think it was, Tennessee.

In other news, I pulled up a drunken dinghyer, who couldnt get himself back on the ladderless dock, not eight days ago. Of course, it was Southern California with a water temp around 60! But still, it's was awfully pathetic to see. And could have ended just as bad as there was no other people anywhere around.

DAN

ron ll
01-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I didn't know Brendan really well, but as both of us were regulars at Charlie's lunch counter at Shilshole, we had often talked over several years. Altho we had a few differences of opinion, he always struck me as a smart, thorough and cautious person; not the type to do foolish things or take stupid chances. It haunts me trying to imagine what happened. Without knowing more details I think the only conclusions one can draw from this is how easily accidents can happen around boats and water. Most of us here walk docks daily in daylight, dark, ice, wind etc. We take it for granted that stepping onto a bouncing boat from a heaving dock always succeeds. Or we assume that if we do fall in, we will laugh and be a little embarrassed and climb back out. It might not be that easy.

willmarsh3
01-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Condolences.

I fell in the water once between the dock and the boat. My mistake was jumping from the boat to the dock. I could have easily hit my head on the side of the boat on the way down. If I did I would have likely been toast. Be careful.

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76227&highlight=fell