PDA

View Full Version : Our bird feeder does not discriminate

marshcat
01-08-2010, 01:03 PM
This guy showed up at our feeder this morning. I don't think he was there for the sunflower seeds.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ez7K-AFOtt0/S0dxE6-DM-I/AAAAAAAAAh8/qsM1MtG104o/IMG_4986.JPG
I think it is a Broad-winged Hawk.

elf
01-08-2010, 01:31 PM
14"-19" or bigger?

Mrleft8
01-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Too dark for a Broadwing I think... And they eat rodents, snakes and such..... Cooper's hawk, or maybe a Perregrine?

Bruce Hooke
01-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Nice sighting!

Just dropping in for a friendly visit...NOT! :D

I once saw a hawk, either a Cooper's or a Sharp Shinned, try to pick a pigeon off my feeder. I saw the pigeon explode off the feeder and drop towards the ground and half a second later the hawk went by on edge, 2 feet from my window and a talon's length from the feeder! Another time I did not see the capture but did see a hawk dismantling a pigeon in a tree in my yard...

marshcat
01-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Doubt it's a Perigrine. Could be a Cooper's, or maybe a Sharp Shinned. I would say 14-16", not smaller like a Merlin.

Mrleft8
01-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Well..... The wingtip/tail proportion, and defined broad black & white striped tail do favor a Broadwinged hawk...... And the size is right...... I'm just used to seeing them lighter colored, but that could be lighting too...... But they don't generally eat birds as far as I know....

marshcat
01-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Here is my only other shot. These were through the kitchen window, so I could not get a better angle. I was afraid he would spook, which he did right after I took this shot.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ez7K-AFOtt0/S0d-fUlgx6I/AAAAAAAAAi0/EUZW1hq12-o/IMG_4985.JPG

Phillip Allen
01-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Too dark for a Broadwing I think... And they eat rodents, snakes and such..... Cooper's hawk, or maybe a Perregrine?

Cooper's...not perregrine...I've seen those here and they are very much different

elf
01-08-2010, 03:41 PM

My bird book says if it's the size of a crow it's likely a broad-winged.

Bigger, it's more likely a red-shouldered juvenile. Had one of those in a locust tree outside my studio window a few days ago, but the camera was in the car.

Grrr.

Mrleft8
01-08-2010, 04:09 PM
My bird book says if it's the size of a crow it's likely a broad-winged.

Bigger, it's more likely a red-shouldered juvenile. Had one of those in a locust tree outside my studio window a few days ago, but the camera was in the car.

Grrr.

Red shouldered's are distinctly different in coloring..... And true, Peregrines have slate or brown stripes on the breast.... Not rufous....
So I'm going with a dark phase Broadwinged. They're like Bluejays around here in spring..... Too bad they prefer mice and voles to squirrels......

elf
01-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Your cat doesn't take care of the squirrels?

The Bigfella
01-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Good stuff.

One job I had in the city, my office was on the 22nd floor. There was a pair of Peregrines that used to nest on top of the next office tower. I used to love watching them hunt pigeons.... the speed of the Peregrines in a dive was just amazing.

Flying Orca
01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
One place I lived in Nunavut was a favoured nesting spot for peregrines - there were several nests near camp. I remember seeing one go after a rough-legged hawk that flew too close to the nest. The hawk must have been two or three times the peregrine's mass, but the falcon hit it at about 180 and then circled, screaming... the hawk limped off quite sheepishly.

Ron Williamson
01-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Peregrines have pretty distinctive sideburns.

We've seen a coupla merlins (pigeon hawks?)buzz our feeders,but the casualties weren't obvious to us.
R

George Jung
01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
We're buried in about 18" of snow - seeing more birds at our feeders, as a result. Heard a commotion yesterday, arrived at the window just in time to see a falcon whipping around the backyard, trying to snag a junco or finch - it flew within a foot of the picture window I was standing at. I've never seen so many little birds dissolve into the bushes so fast - like the Munchkins (and if they hadn't been so fast, that's exactly what they'd've been...). No camera handy, of course.

Phillip Allen
01-08-2010, 06:48 PM
I still think it is a Cooper's. Open field hawks don't hang out in a maze of twigs like that

Phillip Allen
01-08-2010, 06:53 PM
okay, I got out the book...Cooper's...only one that wears a black hat...makes it's living chasing small birds through the branches...