PDA

View Full Version : beltone guitar

james burt
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
anybody out there know anything about this type of guitar?

from the pix i've seen, it's wooden, 6 string, looks very well made

just curious, have the chance to buy one this w/e and very curious.

only thing on the web was a question sorta like this on another forum.

thx to all,

mike

Dave Gray
01-08-2010, 12:31 PM
I found this information here:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/66-guitars.html

The 1960's were an interesting time in the world of guitars. Although Gibson & Fender dominated the US market, import guitars from Japan, Germany and Italy began to flood the American music scene. Most of these instruments were made by just a handful of companies, who licensed the guitars to be sold under a variety of names in different overseas markets. The Japanese company Teisco was the king of these companies, selling guitars under such names as Teisco Del Ray, Beltone, Kingston, Silvertone, and Kimberly in the US, and under the Arbiter, Audition & Kay badges in Europe. These guitars were made in a huge assortment or styles, and changed constantly throughout the 1960's. Carvin was a part of this, as well, selling the a Beltone guitar as the model #I-902 (and would be called the #I-909 in 1967).

Uncle Duke
01-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Beltone is one of those companies who never actually made their own stuff - licensed the manufacture and stuck their name on the product.
If it's really old (1930's, 1940's) probably made by Regal.
More recently (1960's on) Teisco, in Japan, mass produced guitars and sold them under a bunch of different names - Beltone, SIlvertone, Kingston, Del Ray, etc.
The Beltone name was also used on amps, other instruments, etc.
No idea if they are any good, though you'd tend to think that if they were really nice they would be more well known.

Edited to add: Ha! Dave got there first!

Dave Gray
01-08-2010, 12:33 PM
I also found this:
Beltone guitars were made by Regal in the thirties, they would have square headstocks, or rounded ones like Dobros from that era. THe later models were made by Harmony and have a slight point to the headstock like many low end Harmony guitars form the fifties. The Regal models are either fake resonators, or pin bridge models. A floating bridge example is probably a Harmony. Harmony may have made fake resonators in the forties and fifties. They headstock would be the clue.

Stan D
01-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Silvertone was a name associated with Sears. Products of many types used this name.

james burt
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
thx y'all

appreciate the help!, more than i found on the internet
looking forward to seeing this and hope it's in good shape, comes with a nice hard case.
gonna try and learn to play, got a few free hrs. each day in the afternoon, thought
it would be good to try something new.

thx again,

mike

james burt
01-11-2010, 08:46 AM
picked it up yesterday

was in much better shape than i thought, has the Beltone sticker on the headstock
and " made in Holland " stamped on the inside.

only problem was, the top string is very loose, the knob that turns the key ???
is broke, so it will be either a search for replacement or a dab of epoxy and see how it holds.

again thx for all the help here

mike

Stan D
01-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Tuning machines can be had at any decent music store. For appearances, you may have to replace all 6. And they probably aren't available singlely.

Mrleft8
01-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Find a decent repair shop, they'll probably have a box of old machines that might just come close to matching what you have.