PDA

View Full Version : Brake failure

rbgarr
01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/2rc1qp0.jpg

('Car Talk' is a weekend radio call-in show for auto repair advice, among other things. It plays here in the States and can be found on the I-net. This cartoon is from a T-shirt they sell. :D)

Ian McColgin
01-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I love Click and Clack, even when they force a laugh at their own jokes. Since we almost all have cars and therefore almost all have car trouble, every program has something of some personal interest. A sort of non-systematic auto repair class.

I've always regretted that we've not the market for something such in the woodenboat world. But can you imagine trying to give any advice with the threat of a call from the Cleekster to straighten you out followed by a tree to stick analysis from the Colonel and a spat about epoxy all on live radio.

Besides, we have each other.

Phillip Allen
01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
good post Ian...(laughing)

Nicholas Scheuer
01-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Gayle always says, "they certainly like their own jokes, don't they", when we listen to NPR while driving around town on Saturday.

However, as one who generally laughs following my own punch lines, I love Click & Clack.

Moby Nick

Phillip Allen
01-08-2010, 12:55 PM
I think it was Buster Keeton who never laughted at his own jokes

Nicholas Carey
01-08-2010, 02:55 PM
I had a housemate once who went to Harvard. She took her car to Click & Clack's shop for brake work once. They came back with the sad news that it was going to cost at least $1000 or so, back in the early 80s. As a poor graduate student, she didn't have that kind of ready cash. They told her that they couldn't just give the car back to her as it was, in fact, too dangerous to be driven.

Click & Clack offered to do the work pro bono, with the proviso that she'd pay them back as she had cash available.

She did. They won a lifelong customer (or at least, for as long as she lived in greater Boston). I'm sure she brought Click & Click at least that much business through her glowing recommendations.

seanz
01-08-2010, 04:06 PM
I think it was Buster Keeton who never laughted at his own jokes

He did.....you just couldn't hear him.

rbgarr
01-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm just entertained by two brothers getting along so well!

John of Phoenix
01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Good story Nicholas.

"Wait a minute... what color is this car?"

Vinny&Shawn
01-08-2010, 04:21 PM
As a young boy my Dad was always rebuilding one engine or car or another,started working as a mechanic when I turned 15 in a garage in connecticut,from there went to work on big rigs at a truck stop. One of my jobs was to pound split rims,with a sledge and wedge. Everybody stepped back when I loaded the tire with air ,could never understand there problem.
Now I like to listen to Cartalk and make the diagnosis as the person gives there personal take on the problem at hand. I can usually get it right!! Over the years when working on projects I have guided myself with this advice in my head.
(Parts can fit together only one way when reassembly is required.) and (Hopefully you haven't any parts left over)

The Bigfella
01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I can remember changing a few truck tyres as a 15 year, working part time at a gas station. I never enjoyed it... I'd been told "be careful... these things can kill you", then was told once how to do it and being set free to do it. I survived. Nowadays, with OH&S laws, those things get changed in a cage.

I'll admit to a recent (self-caused) brake failure too.... at 105 mph. The pedal went to the floor when I stomped on it. I fitted new Brembo rotors and calipers to the front of my BMW M5. There's a bit involved, including filing the suspension strut mount so that the caliper adjuster fits. Nothing too onerous, just getting rid of casting marks. It takes a while. The problem came about on the second caliper, getting late, working outside. I missed noticing that when I took the plastic plug out of the caliper, in order to fit the brake line, the plastic washer that should be captive with the plug, had stayed on the caliper. The brake line went straight on, but instead of mating metal-metal, it was metal-plastic... and it wasn't readily visible. Not ideal in a brake setup.

It was fine on the road for the 1,000 or so km until I got the car onto the racetrack. Racetracks demand a lot of brakes.... and the plastic washer cried quits - and I got a fluid leak. It was an easy fix - remove the washer, bleed the brakes and back on the track. Yeah - a silly error on my part, but I've seen "pro mechanics" do worse.

.... and as for wooden boat radio shows... we get one here occasionally. There's a show on Saturday morning on ABC 702 radio (AM) called "The Woodies" run by a couple of wood butchers. They occasionally talk wooden boats.

seanz
01-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Nowadays, with OH&S laws, those things get changed in a cage.

I like OH&S.
I like cages.
I don't like split rims.
I really, really don't like it when some dummy mismatches the rim pieces and asks you to help him..........the bang is so loud, you know it happened, but you didn't really hear it.