PDA

View Full Version : Lew Barrett in ClassicYacht

MiddleAgesMan
01-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Lew's latest article is a real winner. If the link doesn't go str8 to the article it's on page 86.

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/ClassicYacht/cyjanfeb2010/2010010501/

(Our friends down under won't get it but if they give it another read around May or June it should prove useful.)

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
It's hard to varnish here when it's -13C Lew :D

pcford
01-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Lew's latest article is a real winner. If the link doesn't go str8 to the article it's on page 86.

http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/ClassicYacht/cyjanfeb2010/2010010501/

(Our friends down under won't get it but if they give it another read around May or June it should prove useful.)

Now Lew the article is a fine, fine article and I know you did not have anything to do with the presentation, but:

DID I EVER TELL YOU GUYS HOW MUCH I HATE PDFs? THEY ARE AN ABOMINATION...A BIG STEP BACKWARD. CLUMSY ASS NAVIGATION...A BLOATED GASBAG OF A DOWNLOAD.

PEOPLE ARE USING THEM FOR EVERYTHING NOWDAYS...TO SEND TEXT...IMAGES. TOTAL BONEHEADS!!!!!

THIS MUST BE STOPPED AND NOW!!!!!!!!!

See Jakob Neilsen on PDFs: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html

C. Ross
01-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Well, you don't have to download the PDF. The online version is Adobe Flash.

Nice article, Lew.

Rob Stokes, N. Vancouver
01-07-2010, 11:28 PM
huh? The magazine format isn't pdf - is it? I like this (Classic Yacht) mag. format - it's well done.

As for PDF's, they have their place. I use them when I want to send a doc (quotation etc.) via email, where I don't want the document to be modified (as it could be in it's raw format)... Most useful, and not bloated at all. your link referenced 2003 - seven years ago. Back then, PDF's were more bulky than they are now, but they've come a long ways in reducing the overhead required to deal with them.

pcford
01-08-2010, 12:16 AM
As for PDF's, they have their place. I use them when I want to send a doc (quotation etc.) via email, where I don't want the document to be modified (as it could be in it's raw format)... Most useful, and not bloated at all. your link referenced 2003 - seven years ago. Back then, PDF's were more bulky than they are now, but they've come a long ways in reducing the overhead required to deal with them.

If you would have actually read the entire piece you would have noticed that there was an update in 2008. He said things have not changed at all.

What has changed is that computers and pipes are a lot faster than they used to be...therefore it is more possible to use these god forsaken abominations. But there are more efficient ways of doing the same thing. The proper way...with html. PDFs let the lazy and lame take over.

Clumsy, bloated, inefficient and stupid.

tomlarkin
01-08-2010, 02:42 AM
PcFord, like Rob Stokes said - the online version is Flash, not PDF.

It is a good article. I like the idea of using the boat as a clubhouse in the winter, even if it's hauled out. And I have a real hard time convincing myself to do much work on it in the dark and rain.

Stiletto
01-08-2010, 03:13 AM
Nice one Lew, ( Thanks MiddleAgesMan) I thought the online format was pretty good, a lot of content there.

Lew Barrett
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
You guys are the best support group a person could have! Made my day to read this!

I'm not just a little surprised that you liked it. Because of my (rapidly vanishing) day job I have been at loose ends and just sort of threw this article together. In fact when i submitted it, I apologized to Bill Prince (publisher) for giving him such an uncooked piece. I do hope that I'll have more time to focus by this spring so that I feel a bit more collected about the rest of my life! Shutting down my thirty year old enterprise has been more demanding and more complex than I had imagined. On the (big!) plus side I can see that I will LOVE coming and going as I please!

You all must see that a lot of what drives my ideas comes from conversations in WBF, which as everyone knows, is a great place to seek feedback. You can honestly say there's a little bit of you in almost everything I write, as I try to imagine the impact of any given page on the best, most informed and informative wooden boat group on the net.

This article (some of you might remember this discussion...Pat and Cris were both in on it) was drawn largely from a question asked by John Lebans in respect to winter refinishing techniques on his big Monk project. I just ran with a lot of the discussion concepts in that thread (without plagiarizing :D) when I couldn't come up with a more timely topic!

Thanks again.

rbgarr
01-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Nice job, Lew. For an 'uncooked piece' it was eminently digestible! :D

George Jung
01-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Nicely done, Lew - (you're looking good in retirement!)

pcford
01-09-2010, 12:35 AM
PcFord, like Rob Stokes said - the online version is Flash, not PDF.

Flash is a svelte and sprightly performer compared the hog that is the PDF format. And to the point, Flash is only modestly less an abomination when used in this manner (online magazines) than PDFs.

Slow and destroys normal navigation.

Rob Stokes, N. Vancouver
01-09-2010, 02:06 AM
pcford - I'm thinkin' it may be time for a new box of Cornflakes :)

Seriously - I do understand the PDF thing, and I used to hate them as well. But they've come a long ways and I guess I use 'em more than I don't now, so I've just accepted them.

As for the on-line mag format, Classic Boat is the only one (on-line mag) I read, and it's the format that won me over. Sure things could be improved, but it's as close to a paper rag as I've seen to date, and I really don't mind spending time with it.

Now - where should I send the fresh Cornflakes :)

JPhoenix
01-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Truly inspiring. After reading Lew's article this morning, The Helm and I ran down to the Hylebos and instead of layering on more varnish (it's 47 F here today), we just decided to go for a short cruise.

After 4 straight months of replacing the deck and cabin sides, survey and working through 6 quarts of varnish in 40 degree weather, we forgot to enjoy the old boat every once in a while.

Was a fun day, thanks for the inspiration Lew.

Jim
www.jimphoenix.com

RFNK
01-10-2010, 05:03 PM

Thanks MAM and well done Lew! Actually, there are few places `down under' where you can't work on a boat or sail it all year round really. Some places get a frost at night but very few retain temperatures close to freezing during the day. Of course, plenty of places are just too hot for varnishing during the day in summer and the far north of Australia has such high humidity during the wet season that painting etc. would be difficult. We all whinge a bit about the colder days in winter and, of course, the really hot days in summer, but really, apart from those of us who dwell in the far north where the wet and dry seasons are serious factors, most of us have no idea what it's like for boating or working on boats to be dictated by the seasons. Rick

Garret
01-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Just thrown together? I wish my writing were as good even after 5 drafts!

Boy am I jealous. 5 - 10 degrees just doesn't let you do much of anything on a boat - except annoy folks on the WBF. OK - I do have to confess to skiing today ;)

Of course if I moved my boat back to her home waters (Seattle), I wouldn't have that problem. Shipping all the Port Orford cedar for the new bottom planks woulda been cheaper too. I'd have to move myself as well I guess.

Anyway - thanks for the link MiddleAgesMan & for the article Lew.

Garret