PDA

View Full Version : Wish Me Luck!!! Gonna' Need It!

TJCeeJay
01-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Hellooo all again, bin a while. Guess what? Remember that circa 1888 wooden tug that was being given away for free back in November? Guess who's (hopefully) going to be taking it with him when he moves to Butedale BC in a couple of months? That's right! I've sent the owners a couple of e-mails and I'm gonna be talking to them tomorrow on the phone, hopefully a little more in-deplth. They've already done a lot of the below-the-waterline work over the last few years, the engine is good, the hull was recorked 30 years ago, (don't know if that's good or bad) a bow thruster was installed 30 years ago, along with the 500hp 8V92 Cummings Diesel and Allison Marine Transmission. The steering is a hydraulic ram-thrust and that's about all I know about her. Except that she displaces ~40 tonnes, is 55 feet long. 12 feet wide and has a foot thick hull made from yellow cedar planks, an oak frame, and yellow cedar planks on the inside. Oh, and gum-wood over the yellow cedar on the outside. In a couple months I'll have a good hunk of cash to dedicate to moving and working on the Swan. (That's her name.) And just as important, I'll have hours upon hours every day for the rest of my life (hopefully) to immerse myself in scraping and filling and sanding and replacing and repairing and whatever. So, Please, cross yer fingers and toes, send me a virtual rabbits foot or horse shoe, project all yer positive vibes my way and wish-me-luck! The possible opportunity to be able to save and work upon such a beautiful piece of history just makes me shiver. One of those: "Oh please, please, please, pleeeeeese let this happen!" feelings. Dang! Wish me luck on that phone call! Here's a couple pictures of her for ya to peruse.

The Swan.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4252461579_f7c57876a1_o.jpg

Outa' da wata'
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4252461573_9edde79f2b_o.jpg

A bow thruster... I just can't get over a bow thruster on an 1888 New Westminster tug. Too cool!

Ain't she a beaut?

So, please wish me luck with this endeavor.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

seanz
01-07-2010, 01:30 AM
She's a beaut.
Good luck.
:)

You could've posted this in building/repair not the bilge.....you'll get a better response.....I swear some people are just down here for the arguments.
;):D

Ummm........What sort of engine and how much horsepower?

ripley699
01-07-2010, 02:33 AM
We are not !!!!!!!!!

Spin_Drift
01-07-2010, 04:54 AM
She is very beautiful, a real "heart string tugger"...lol....

Best of luck on getting her home with you. Please keep us posted down here too... I'm interested to see how this comes about and how you get her fixed up....

-Spinner

Rich Jones
01-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Best of luck. And a dream for all of us to have endless hours to work on our true passion:wooden boats. Please drag this out of the slimy Bilge and report in Building/Repair. What are your plans? Liveaboard? Cruising?

Kevin G
01-07-2010, 08:56 AM
She is handsome.

KG

BrianW
01-07-2010, 09:07 AM
That is awesome!

I'm green with envy, but wish the best of luck.

Pugwash
01-07-2010, 09:20 AM
http://petticoatsandpistols.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/lucky-horseshoe.jpg

goodbasil
01-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Good Luck to ya.
So are you gonna live on her?

huisjen
01-07-2010, 10:03 AM
You poor fool. That waterline looks re-painted by someone who wants you to think she's supposed to ride like that. Good Luck.

Dan

MaizieDerrick
01-07-2010, 11:35 AM
aloha, beautiful boat.. spent many years working on tugs like this in b.c. as a marine mechanic.waterline looks normal to me, loaded with fuel and water, hopefully you have a pocketful of money or a wife that loves boats like mine.. good luck derrick

TJCeeJay
01-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Yup! Gonna live on 'er. Was originally planning to renovate one of the abandoned houses in Butedale. But with this, who needs a house? :-) Not a pocketful of money, nor any wife/girlfriend at all. Free as a bird to spend as many hours per day on her as I feel like. Enough money to cover any emergencies that may arrise, and the skills to do 95% of the work she'll ever need myself. I've been workin' on engines since I was ~12 and been working with wood since I was ~19. (39 now.) 'Bout the only thing I won't touch is the guts of a transmission. 1 missing 1/8 inch ball valve or 1/8 inch spring and it's game over. (No thanx!) I pay someone to do transmission work, thank-you! Other than that though, hydraulics are brainless and Princess Auto delivers, I can do all the wood-work myself, all the metal-work myself, most of the engine work myself, most of the electrical and plumbing work, etc, etc. So, thankfully, she won't cost me too much except for machinery / equipment I can't make for myself out of wood or steel or aluminum. I can even park the lil' beastie for free in Butedale. That's half the battle won right there. Allrighty, that's it for now me thinks! And thank you all for your support! I'll see if I can get one of our moderators to move this thread to building/repair section.

Thanx again, and I'll definitely keep y'all posted on the outcome.

Later all!

Ian McColgin
01-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Good show. All the best things are done by people who fall in love and don't count the cost. Carry on and keep us in.

Pourquoi Rene
01-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Beautiful boat...I was just in Butedale and it really has gone down hill there, watch the pilings and ferry / cruiseship wakes as you can do a lot of damage being rocked around. No real docks left, just wired up old camels. You might look at Namu as a more protected inexpensive spot or Shearwater for its access to real world solution repairs. Good luck!!

McMike
01-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Dude, that thing is flippin cool as all hell!!!!! Good luck!