PDA

View Full Version : By the standing of his enemies!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-06-2010, 08:03 AM
You measure the strength of a man by the standing of his enemies

Hewitt and Hoon - for crying out loud.

I'd guess he's stuffed.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-06-2010, 08:29 AM
This has the makings of an after dinner game:

Your party is about to enter a general election, is currently behind in the polls, and by accident of history saddled with a monumentally unpopular leader.

Who, from all of history or fiction, would you choose to nominate?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Leonidas?

Tom Montgomery
01-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Sir Arthur Harris?

Presuming Ed
01-06-2010, 09:52 AM

Your party is about to enter a general election, is currently behind in the polls, and by accident of history saddled with a monumentally unpopular leader.

History would suggest that John Major's your man, as, IIRC, he pulled off a win in a very similar situation....

jonboy
01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
From history , almost any statesman... brit politics seems to suffer from an old school regression...Mayor Boris, Cameron....up through the Eton Oxbridge type route straight into politics with no law or corporate backgrounds not Brown though....he does seem from his record to be a good second man but not up to leadership perhaps

From fiction, it has to be Animal from the Muppets, or JamieLee Curtis in A Fish called Wanda, smart manipulative cunning sexy and a smile to die for... couldn't possibly be worse than almost any other politician ever.

Brownibus satibus upon the descalorum
Descibus collapsibus, Brownie on the floorum.

Hwyl
01-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Darius the bastard

GaryK
01-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Who, from all of history or fiction, would you choose to nominate?[/i]

There's a bloke down here looking for a post, Malcolm Turnbull 's the name..
ok. I'll bugger off now..

andrewe
01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Jonboy, you can't be serious. " Good second man" He is the twit that got the economy in it's current state. It wasn't the americans to blame as he is alway saying.
Most of his cohorts have no experience in the real world either. Union guys or reserchers pushed into seats. It appears that it was all a marxist experiment, just to prove they could do it. And stuff the country.
A

Feel a bit better now...

My B-I-L was standing near Hewitt when she was asked why the farm payments system was taking so long to give out the money.
Here reply was " Somebody else deals with that" And she was the Minister in charge!

PM is quite right. There is nobody good enough to take over. Plus, being the captain of a sinking ship is not good on your CV.
Sorry it was PI, not PM

jonboy
01-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Jonboy, you can't be serious. " Good second man" He is the twit that got the economy in it's current state. It wasn't the americans to blame as he is alway saying.
Most of his cohorts have no experience in the real world either. Union guys or reserchers pushed into seats.

It appears that it was all a marxist experiment, just to prove they could do it.

Always prepared to be corrected and learn... problem is when you are out of the loop a bit and the man on the Clapham omnibus is 2000kms away, one has to rely on gleanings and interpretations, which, stars forbid, is the Torygraph or Daily Mail at the airport or dam' commie pinko liberalist visitors with their own baggage relating the latest spice...( I confess to more empathy with them though)
But A, the 'He's the twit...' and the Marxist comment above is a bit, well, far fetched, shall we say....?

I didn't hear too much moaning about his abilities as chancellor when in office...do you think he singlehandely screwed the investors and the City bwankers were all saying '0h no Gordon that's not a good idea'
the benefit of hindsight I suppose.....And if he' Marxist, I'm a godless pagan....oh, wait a mo' ,... anyway...,
I thought our Tony was ok until the War thing,... how the mighty have fallen etc..though politically he was still better than much that had gone before( you know who I mean, may she be dropped out of a helicopter somewhere over the rainbow, or Chile, even)

The thing is , does anyone seriously, honestly, want the Conservatives back apart from the normal 'time for a change fed up-ppedness after three terms in power of any party feeling' ??
Think Blighty's going to stay off my radar for a while yet....it's nice here...

andrewe
01-06-2010, 02:46 PM
A lot of people had their eye off the ball when times were good.. Unfortunatlely dinner is ready, so later.
A

jonboy
01-06-2010, 03:35 PM
A lot of people had their eye off the ball when times were good.. Unfortunatlely dinner is ready, so later.
A

Fortunately likewise, though I curdled the mustard sauce and the pasta's a bit overcooked...dam WBF

John Meachen
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I normally avoid political threads;I agree with Andrew's assessment of the personalities and despair at the lack of talent the parties are able to select for us to choose from.I really miss Lord Sutch and find it amusing that some of his policies,such as passports for pets,have been adopted by the present mob.

peter radclyffe
01-06-2010, 04:52 PM
rodney dangerfield,suzzanne westenhoefer, eddie izzard, bill hicks again, as they have the media attention the least they could do is to make us laugh

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Brown's other mistake was to allow the boom to run on for too long for political reasons, namely the last election. However he was certainly under pressure from the rest of the Cabinet, including Blair, and it is hard to think of a living politician who would have done otherwise.

The boom over-run was inevitable given the single target of inflation - and then a dishonest means of measuring it....

Reading around a variety of forums it seems that many Brits would like to see a hung parliament and that not a few would say "Hanged".

I remember the Tories from the last time around - they spent 10 years digging a huge destructive hole - and the next ten years and two governments (Major and Blair 1) were spent slowly climbing out of the mess.
The second two terms of labour have very largely been a repitition of the mistakes of the three Thatcher parliaments.

Sometimes it's just one damn thing after another - others, it's the same damned thing over and over.

Presuming Ed
01-07-2010, 12:53 PM
I didn't hear too much moaning about his abilities as chancellor when in office...do you think he singlehandely screwed the investors and the City bwankers were all saying '0h no Gordon that's not a good idea'
the benefit of hindsight I suppose.....And if he' Marxist, I'm a godless pagan....oh, wait a mo' ,... anyway...,
I thought our Tony was ok until the War thing,... how the mighty have fallen etc..though politically he was still better than much that had gone before( you know who I mean, may she be dropped out of a helicopter somewhere over the rainbow, or Chile, even)

Well, I think he's been one of the worst chancellors ever. Comparable with Lamont. Had 2 good (-ish) - very, very ish years, and then made a pigs ear of it. Sold the gold at an all time low, and has done nothing good since. Pissed money up the wall on the NHS, hasn't funded the army properly; I could go on.

snudz
01-07-2010, 01:24 PM
I could go on.

The pensions fiasco..........aside from his own that is. :mad:

JimD
01-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Any fool can make enemies

- anon