PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security

John Smith
01-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Maybe I'm just dumb, but I don't understand why airport security is still so vulnerable.

Years ago 60 Minutes did a show where they sent one of their staffers undercover to buy a plane ticket and pay with cash. This was LONG before 9/11. He got pulled aside by airport security for simply paying with cash.

Now we have an airport literally shut down behind someone going in through an exit, which, I would think, would be impossible at this point.

What is the problem? I suspect those of us here can come up with some relatively inexpensive ways to significantly improve security.

Am I expecting too much?

Phillip Allen
01-05-2010, 12:37 PM
yes...I've warned about that for years but I'm just an old man with a failed (whatever) and am uneducated to boot...just ask lj...

Phillip Allen
01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Hey Chuck...ya left me hanging...

Nicholas Carey
01-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Well, given that they have armed security sitting at the exit portals from the secured zone of the airport, you'd think that somebody swimming upstream, so to speak, into the secured zone would be hard to pull off.

Assuming, of course, that the US$ 14.00/hour armed security guard is awake. Or at least paying something resembling attention.

And yes, the median wage for an armed TSA security guard is about $14/hr. The median wage for an unarmed TSA security guard is $15.95/hr. Go figure.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=United_States_Transportation_Security_Adm inistration_%28TSA%29/Hourly_Rate

Greg Nolan
01-05-2010, 05:38 PM
The airport was not shut down until two hours after the guy went through the exit.

I wonder how much they pay the guy who took two hours to make the close-down decision. I wonder what he was thinking about for two hours.

And if the guy who went through the exit was actually a terrorist, I wonder what he could have accomplished in those two hours.

John Smith
01-05-2010, 06:03 PM
The airport was not shut down until two hours after the guy went through the exit.

I wonder how much they pay the guy who took two hours to make the close-down decision. I wonder what he was thinking about for two hours.

And if the guy who went through the exit was actually a terrorist, I wonder what he could have accomplished in those two hours.
If this weren't so sad, it would be funny.

I see last night Joan Rivers couldn't get on a plane.

Phillip Allen
01-05-2010, 06:19 PM
it looks like pay scale is an indication of integrity...the less one is paid the more crime he commits...is that what you guys are saying?

Madoff (sp) would likely agree...

S/V Laura Ellen
01-05-2010, 09:17 PM
If they start searching our underwear for explosives, the terrorists will just shove the bombs up their arses.

It wouldn't be the first time: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/item_hKiF3TDJkgYItnBQkJXmTN

One "butt bomb" on a plane and they'll want to do an anal cavity search on all of us.
At some point we'll have to wise up and use a deterrent that suicidal muslims care about. That would fix most of the problem.

Why not save billions of dollars and just make everyone take a bite of bacon or spit on a koran before they board the plane? Tell devout muslims that they can take the bus or boat until they're serious about getting their brethren to rejoin civilization.

If I ran the circus we'd have nuked Mecca decades ago and been done with the whole muslim cult.

That is just wrong on so many levels.
It's like saying the all Catholics should be jailed because of the actions of a few pedophile priests.

Muslim cult? Get a grip.

S/V Laura Ellen
01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
If I ran the circus we'd have nuked Mecca decades ago and been done with the whole muslim cult.

I'm not saying they should be jailed, just stay off the infidel's airplanes. :D

You have a funny way of saying that!

Phillip Allen
01-05-2010, 10:14 PM
serve pork chops instead of peanuts...howz that?

Captain Blight
01-06-2010, 02:00 AM
Um... No, they didn't. Japan's penchant for manias on the national level is well-documented, though admittedly the last time they tried world domination (late '80s), they did it economically not militarily.

Captain Blight
01-06-2010, 02:01 AM
we'd have nuked Mecca decades ago and been done with the whole muslim cult.

the solution for the universal problem of muslim ambitions for world dominationYou are why people burn flags.

bobbys
01-06-2010, 03:09 AM
If we cannot keep people from crashing White House parties how are we gonna secure Airports?

chas
01-06-2010, 03:35 AM
The Delta Xmas bomber was flying from Ghana? to Detroit, with No luggage. Perhaps they noticed the extra wrapping around his package and deduced he was just wearing his spares. Laughable if it weren't so freaking sad.

George.
01-06-2010, 06:54 AM
the median wage for an armed TSA security guard is about $14/hr. The median wage for an unarmed TSA security guard is $15.95/hr. Go figure.

It obviously takes much more skill to provide security without a weapon.

John Smith
01-06-2010, 07:57 AM
it looks like pay scale is an indication of integrity...the less one is paid the more crime he commits...is that what you guys are saying?

Madoff (sp) would likely agree...

I see last night Comedianne Joan Rivers couldn't get on her plane.

John Smith
01-06-2010, 08:12 AM
I look at this in a larger picture.

Obviously, airports are no safer now than they were before 9/11.

Seems the people who supported the invasion of Iraq, as it kept us safer here at home are the ones who fear attacks here if we try terrorists here.

Seems we've spend a lot of blood and treasure, causes a lot of aggrevating delays at airports, all for no purpose.

The only one achieving any success seems to be Bin Laden, as he's gotten rid of Saddam, is bankrupting the USA, and is disrupting our way of life. I believe those were his goals.

I also have to wonder why we think another organized attack would have to involve planes?

Nicholas Carey
01-06-2010, 08:35 PM
According to Obama this AM, the anti-terrorism people had all the facts in place. They just failed to put them together. They knew that

This particular Nigerian guy had gone to Yemen and hooked up with Al-Qaeda types.
Al-Qaeda had a plan to blow up a US airliner with a Nigerian suicide bomber.
This particular Nigerian guy's dad had called the US embassy to tell them that his son was tight with extremist nutjobs and he was worried that he might try to blow up a plane.

It doesn't seem like it should have been that difficult to tie those three things together. Moreover, given how easily it apparently is for just about anybody to get listed on the "no-fly" list (US congressman and senators...really? :rolleyes:), it would seem that when somebody calls you up to tell you that his son is a whackjob and might try to blow up a plane, you should probably put him on the no-fly list, especially if you already have corroborating evidence (which see numero 1 above).

huisjen
01-06-2010, 09:24 PM
A hundred and sixty years ago my ancestors got on a boat. They waved goodbye and sailed off, ending up in the USA. They didn't go back to visit grandma every Christmas. A couple of the kids died on the crossing.

Now everyone thinks nothing of getting on a plane, maybe with an infant even, and flying across the continent. Poor kid has clogged ears and is screaming in agony. I know exactly what he's screaming about too, because my ears do the same thing.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't fly. But they shouldn't do it frivolously. If it's that important, maybe take the train. If not, maybe stay home. Don't like x-rays or millimeter body scan? Oh well. Worried that the TSA jerk will think you're fat? Go on a diet.

I propose that anyone who's going to fly should have a flight physical withing 24 hours of boarding the plane, including psych screening. Oversized people get charged extra and get a seat that fits in return. No children under 5 fly. Nobody with "mobility issues" flys. If you aren't healthy enough to get out through a window emergency exit, you don't get on the plane. Your luggage goes ahead and is waiting for you when the plane lands.

Don't like it? Walk then.

And wait until you hear my plan for the new airport "smoking lounges".

Dan

Nicholas Carey
01-06-2010, 10:11 PM
So I can send my suitcase bomb without having to ride on the same flight with it? :) Cool!You can do that now. We call it "air freight" and/or "The US Mail" -- much (most?) of which travels as payload on regularly scheduled passenger flights :eek: And almost none of which gets any sort of screening at all save the most cursory possible :eek: :eek:

True, you don't neccesarily get to select the exact flight that gets blowed up (or in the case of the mail, which airline's), but then, there are trade-offs for everything ;)

BrianW
01-07-2010, 09:49 AM
And wait until you hear my plan for the new airport "smoking lounges".

Dan

Why would you care what happens beyond security if you don't fly?

BrianW
01-07-2010, 09:53 AM
I look at this in a larger picture.

Obviously, airports are no safer now than they were before 9/11.

Seems the people who supported the invasion of Iraq, as it kept us safer here at home are the ones who fear attacks here if we try terrorists here.

Seems we've spend a lot of blood and treasure, causes a lot of aggrevating delays at airports, all for no purpose.

The only one achieving any success seems to be Bin Laden, as he's gotten rid of Saddam, is bankrupting the USA, and is disrupting our way of life. I believe those were his goals.

I also have to wonder why we think another organized attack would have to involve planes?

Ask Obama. He hasn't changed a thing, except to expand the "war of necessity."