PDA

View Full Version : I don't have a cellphone

rbgarr
01-05-2010, 10:00 AM
and our phonelines have gone dead. We're such Luddites!

http://www.breakingviews.com/2009/12/30/mobile%20phones.aspx?sg=nytimes

paul oman
01-05-2010, 10:22 AM
We don't have a cell phone either (and we run an internet company). People think their views and opinions are worth sharing. I've learned better, at least mine aren't! Gads, can't folks even make a quick trip to the store without wasting someone's time telling them about it?

Those who can, do -- those who can't, talk. Silence is golden, right? I do my best thinking and best work in uninterrupted quiet. With email you answer it on your own timetable!

paul

paul

Mrleft8
01-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Did the Luds have DSL? :D

rbgarr
01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
DSL?? Pshaw... cable.

Will Google take over the world and put everyone out of business? http://www.thebigmoney.com/articles/0s-1s-and-s/2009/12/31/google-decade-ends?page=full

Bill R
01-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I (unfortunately) have 2 and don't want either. Both are for work- one is my company's as I'm on call 24/7, and the other is for my sideline business as I don't have a landline dedicated to it.

I dream of being a Luddite.

OconeePirate
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't have one either. I'm always at work or home, if I'm somewhere else then odds are I don't want to talk to you. My wife has a cell, but she is also on the road a minimum of 4 hours a day so it is a bit of a safety net.

pipefitter
01-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't have one either. I had one for about two years and all I did was tend after the thing. Making sure it was charged, making sure it didn't get wet and having a way to clamp it on me which was always in the way. The annoying choices of ring tones, any of which you knew was going to irritate somebody, somewhere.

It was too convenient for my boss to pow wow with me all hrs of the night via the two way and the ex harassing me non-stop. Finally let it go and it was like returning to my normal self. Then there was the house phone, 90% of which was solicitor crap. There was a certain bothersome irony with that, along the lines of me paying all that money every month for other people to advertise/annoy with. Finally had enough so I 86'd the house line as well.

Anybody I care to talk to knows where I live and most are just a few minutes from me here. It's like a little adventure at a moments notice to jump in the car and go hang out with them for a bit. Just like old times.

I think it kind of funny after all this time that they still have to include instructions on how to leave a msg on their voice mail.

Ted Hoppe
01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I would be hard pressed to find a better safety device. One might consider a pay card one found at the grocery. Under 20 dollars, pay only for the minutes you use for just nickels, no contract and free 911 access. Almost a no brainer.

hokiefan
01-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I have one for work. I find the better I do my job the fewer calls I get. Its very handy, its my pocket watch, my alarm clock, and a backup calculator. Its not used a whole lot as a phone, but it rides real nice in my pocket. Because its there I don't have a landline in my work apartment here in Jax. Don't have a TV or computer there either. Now those two facts get some strange looks when I tell people. They ask what do you do without a TV?

Cheers,

Bobby

rbgarr
01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Our landline's back on now. The repair guy said the salt sea air had corroded the connections on the pole, so maybe this thread should be moved over to Misc Boat Related. ;)

pipefitter
01-06-2010, 04:59 AM
I would be hard pressed to find a better safety device. One might consider a pay card one found at the grocery. Under 20 dollars, pay only for the minutes you use for just nickels, no contract and free 911 access. Almost a no brainer.

Which the need for goes up exponentially with all the morons driving while yakking and texting. Then there is the biggest safety measure that people get to leave at home now with such great connectivity, and that would be their common sense.

Someone recently asked me what I would do in the event that my car broke down on the way home from work. Figure I can walk a long way for that many hundreds of dollars in a years time. Phone booths aren't crowded.

Any cell phone that powers up will dial 911, IIRC.

ripley699
01-06-2010, 05:53 AM
I don't have one either.
They do have their place due to safety concerns .
I simply feel that if you can't stand to go 20 minutes without talking to me then I must be pretty damn important !
In the town where I live the town fathers are ALL a bunch of luddites ..we don't have cable t.v. available anywhere in town..we don't have dsl either ,,,only dial up ...I think I am gonna move to a new town when i build my new house !
RIP

Bruce Hooke
01-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Phone booths aren't crowded.

If you can find one. There are fewer and fewer phone booths every year.

SchoonerRat
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't have a land line. I got my cell about 8 years ago when my car broke down a 4 am in the middle of the city, and I couldn't find a phone booth.

TimH
01-06-2010, 12:35 PM
I dont have a cell phone either. If its important enough they can send an email ;)

Tom Montgomery
01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Not only do I not have a land line, I also have not had a PC since summer. :eek:

pipefitter
01-06-2010, 12:54 PM
If you can find one. There are fewer and fewer phone booths every year.

I suppose that's true but I live in a larger city. On my most traveled(17 miles each way) route, there is a convenience store every 2-3 miles, 3 people I know mixed in along the way and two police substations.

It's not that I think people should not have cell phones, just reasons why I don't care to. The industry creates a lot of jobs which is a good thing. I'm not too crazy about some of the effects on our youth, perhaps the major one being that it seems to thwart basic developmental resourcefulness, which becomes most apparent when they get it taken away or shut off, along with the electronic withdrawals they seem to suffer just when the battery dies.

Because I don't have a phone, I make sure my car is running well and the spare full of air and I carry other safety equipment and tools just in case. Of the few times I have broken down over the years, I always managed to be able to fix it enough to get home. The one piece of safety equipment I am sure to have is my dog's leash in the event that I had to leave the car, so that he would not have to be left behind. I'm betting he would just be thrilled to death if we broke down.

htom
01-06-2010, 01:03 PM
The phone company supposedly wants land-line service to "go away"; there's not enough profit in it. Meanwhile, the TV industry wants broadcast TV to "go away", as there's more profit in cable!

We have one; it's a pain. When they're small enough that I can wear one on my wrist, they might become a good thing. Service will have to be a lot better, though.

Mrleft8
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
The annoying choices of ring tones, any of which you knew was going to irritate somebody, somewhere.

I figure if the phones come with a pre-recorded, non-removable ringtone of either a wailing baby, or a nagging wife, phones'll get left in cars, or answered really quick!

Bruce Hooke
01-06-2010, 02:24 PM
I suppose that's true but I live in a larger city.

Which is, ironically, where phone booths seem to be disappearing the fastest. In very remote areas phone booths are more likely to remain (where there is no cell service).

Don't get me wrong...I see nothing wrong with driving without a cell phone. Except in very remote areas (where there is likely no cell service anyway) there is almost always going to be a house around that you can go to in an emergency and on the highway the highway patrol will be along soon enough.

The point I was trying to make is that it is unwise to count on finding a phone booth, if you are going on the memory of the days when there were phone booths all over the place, as that is no longer true. Time was when pretty much any convenience store, gas station or supermarket would have a phone booth outside. Now, if those sorts of places are your resource in an emergency you have to count on the clerk feeling friendly and willing to let you use the phone behind the counter (unless of course we are talking about a gas station with a tow-truck...also getting rarer these days it seems...but at least they are likely to know who to call if someone comes in needing a tow!).

rbgarr
01-06-2010, 02:50 PM
My problem with public phones is that they always seem to be right next to the roadway! Even with the volume selector I have trouble hearing what the person I've called is saying. :D

TimH
01-06-2010, 02:53 PM
My problem with public phones is that they always seem to be right next to the roadway! Even with the volume selector I have trouble hearing what the person I've called is saying. :D

My problem with public phones is that they always seem to be covered in a greasy waxy substance and smell heavily of cheap cologne. :eek:

Garret
01-06-2010, 03:21 PM
One of the best things about going offshore is the point @ which the cell signal disappears.

I have one, as work requires it. I must admit it's handy for the "could you pick up some milk on the way home" sort of thing as well. So - handy? Yes. Necessary as some people seem to think? No. There are some who can't seem to go 15 min. without checking & sending texts, etc. Sheesh!

There is one very important feature on every cell phone that many seem to forget: the off switch.

dredbob
01-06-2010, 08:23 PM
In regards to phone booths, not only are they getting to be harder and harder to find, but folks will make fun of you if you try to find one.

Last time I was on a cruise with some friends, after getting into a port I thought I'd call my wife and check in. When I inquired for the location of the nearest phone booth, everybody laughed and wanted to know if I was going to go change into my costume, etc. etc.

Bob :)

jack grebe
01-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Did the Luds have DSL? :D
DSL.........LSD.........I keep getting those 2 confused

Garret
01-06-2010, 09:17 PM
DSL.........LSD.........I keep getting those 2 confused

So you don't remember the 60's? :p

brad9798
01-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Why let a cell phone control you?

I choose when to answer and when not to ...

In fact, I often times have the ringer off so it's not a nuisance ...

I no longer carry it on my person ... sits in my cars mostly ... unless I want or need to carry it for MY reasons!

Folks being online complaining about cell phones is like ordering a Big Mac, large fries, and a DIET COKE ...

Really, the irony makes NO sense!

:confused:

Stan D
01-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Not only do I not have a land line, I also have not had a PC since summer. :eek:

How are you posting this?

B_B
01-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Don't have a TV or computer there either. Now those two facts get some strange looks when I tell people. They ask what do you do without a TV?
we don't have a t.v. at all - and I miss it to a degree, especially when I have a cold, or something, and am just lying in bed; flicking channels is a real soother for me.

We do have cell phones, the wifes' is issued by work and she never turns it on, mine is for work and no-one calls :D:p :mad:

Vince Brennan
01-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I had to replace mine last month. I didn't mind the rust on the can, but the string broke.

Ted Hoppe
01-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I recently was talking about phone plans with my 20 something coworkers. I inquired about talk time plans they chose. Their response, "You talk on the phone?!" They text message as their primary communications and find they only talk to their parents or to ensure that the late notice, late night booty call.

Minimal talk plans and unlimited texting for 5.00 per month.

brad9798
01-07-2010, 01:04 AM
TEXTING is for complete and utter idiots ...

Real folks simply make a phone call!

With a call, one can accomplish in 20 seconds what 10 text messages take to accomplish the same goal!

Stiletto
01-07-2010, 05:32 PM
There is a lot of texting done in NZ and many of us arent idiots. The fact is that I can send all the texts I need for about NZ$10 per month vs around at least $50 for calls. Another advantage of texting is its brevity.

Nicely judgemental Brad.:confused:

paul oman
01-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Yes, cell phones, TV, the internet, gasoline engines (and dare I say it? - carbon dioxide) are ALL good things. But humans, being humans, tend to overuse and abuse the good things. Tiger Woods is a perfect example (sorry - wink, wink!)

brad9798
01-07-2010, 07:35 PM
There is a lot of texting done in NZ and many of us arent idiots. The fact is that I can send all the texts I need for about NZ$10 per month vs around at least $50 for calls. Another advantage of texting is its brevity.

Nicely judgemental Brad.

I guess I am/was too quick in my evaluation ... in your case it makes sense, financially.

Here, it does not.

I don't reply to texts unless they are from my daughter.

I think folks are slowly losing their abilities to communicate without hiding behind texts for emails ...

Especially kids here in the US ... texting and driving, etc.

But if it saved 40 bucks a month, then more power to you!

:)

hokiefan
01-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Mainly I text with my daughter, she's 17 ya know!

It is convenient at times that you can text to/from an email address. The maintenance department sends out the on-call list to all our emails and phones every Monday. I just lock that text so it doesn't go away and forget it until I need to call out a maintenance guy at 2am. Its really nice not to have to keep up with a call out list. I also use it to send myself reminders or record a thought. Just type it in and send to my email.

Probably don't send more than 5-10 a week, but it is handy for certain things.

Cheers,

Bobby

Hughman
01-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Feh. I wrote this message by hand, and mailed it in.

Thorne
01-07-2010, 08:47 PM
I'll use my computer while waiting to grind up oak galls and an old nail for ink, scrape and cure the skin for parchment, and for the oxcart to show up for the trip to Maine.

Seriously I LOVE my iPhone, but it sees far more use as a portable computer and GPS system (complete with marine charts) than it does as a phone. Carried in a belt case nearly all the time. The $100/month service is steep, but we don't pay for TV cable and have the cheapest DSL at home.

Captain Blight
01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
I figure if the phones come with a pre-recorded, non-removable ringtone of either a wailing baby, or a nagging wife, phones'll get left in cars, or answered really quick!

Here ya go (http://www.myxer.com/ringtone:158251/)

Stiletto
01-08-2010, 04:18 AM
in your case it make sense financially

I'll never spend a shilling when sixpence will do!;)

My old Scottish aunty Eileen would be proud of me!:D