PDA

View Full Version : Cheney truly puzzles me.

John Smith
01-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Here is a man with a track record of being wrong so much, that I can't understand why anyone listens when he speaks.

Whatever security problems exist at airports today simply serve as proof that he and Bush failed to address them.

Further, didn't he complain about those who questioned our policies emboldening our enemies?

I suspect his words stir up the ultra conservatives and the ingrained Obama haters, but I also suspect they don't sit so well with anyone else.

My question: who benefits from his continued speaking?

LeeG
01-05-2010, 09:00 AM
He's working on his legacy and the think tank division of the MIC like AEI need their narrative reinforced. Check out the Kagans.

The security problems from suicide bombers might be independant of his success/failure but I'd say on the whole he's increased them and it was an acceptable risk to HIM and his cohorts. How else to explain the consequences of opening up Iraq to chaos by not having sufficient forces to secure the country? He knew as former Sec. Def. what invading Iraq would entail. His reasons for the first Bush administration not doing it were as valid now as then but the fact they went in with marginal post invasion plan, no protection of weapons depots means they knew they were going to splatter violence through the region.

But that's ok, it'll hit the middle east and Europe before it hits us. If I was someone who just came upon the scene I'd think increasing muslim/muslim violence was a goal of US foreign policy. The cynicism of the chicken hawks and gullibility of his supporters is off the charts.
There was 80grams of PETN explosive on the Christmas bomber. There were 100 TONS of HMX/RDX stolen from Al Qaqaa, Iraq.

I'm amazed more attacks haven't happened.

elf
01-05-2010, 09:04 AM
It's really quite simple - he's really good for the Republicans, and the news industry (which is owned almost entirely by the likes of Murdoch) loves anything that sells advertising.

Chris Coose
01-05-2010, 09:12 AM
When a ****bird like the underware bomber actually pulls off a terist act, Cheney will find the tallest building to shout out,"I told you so!!!", and therefore you should get scared again and elect people who will spin taxpayer money into the pockets fo my friends again.

That is the only reason this cripple gets on the air.

Hal Forsen
01-05-2010, 10:57 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NUZ_fM-TQKQ/RpzWpto-TxI/AAAAAAAACQM/DCax40ycwps/s400/cheney_iwantyou.0.jpg

Rich Jones
01-05-2010, 11:19 AM
The man's ego simply won't let him stop ranting. He's been a major power player his entire adult life and his goals of conquest have not been met. All other past presidents and vice-presidents have followed the unwritten rule of keeping quiet once out of office (for the most part, anyway). They had the decency to allow the new president a chance. Not Cheney. His unending chatter is nothing more than the rantings of a politically frustrated old man who didn't get his way.

John Smith
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
CNN fact checked his recent remarks, and, of course, he had all his facts wrong again.

Most people, if they are wrong a couple of times lose credibility. This man has been wrong over and over and over again, yet some still listen.

That's what I have trouble following.

I'm not sure he helps the republicans. For those actually paying attention, it's pretty silly to complain about how the underwear guy is being handled when it's the same way the shoe guy was handled, by those complaining.

Ian McColgin
01-05-2010, 11:44 AM
The Cheney poison in the Republican party is playing out in our Senate race. The Republican candidate Scott Brown, an attorney in the National Guard no less, publicly advocates waterboarding and no legal representation for suspected terrorists.

The whole SERE bit was originally made to teach our people how to resist making false confessions for show trials. Everyone knew that torture is only useful for PR and terror purposes, not for intelligence. Most of our military legal officers knew as the Cheney version of terrorism polluted our intelligence and military that there is no foundation for the kangaroo courts the administration grudgingly fabricated in an effort to placate those law and order wimps on the US Supreme Court.

And this guy . . .

He also has incredibly tasteless ads that morph 1960 images of JFK into himself. And the guy's hair is as good as Romney's.

I think that there's an interesting form of sociopathy running infectiously through the Cheney wing of Republicanism that really believes the lies they put forward. Like true sociopaths, they would pass lie-detector tests.

I hadn't known before the last decade that sociopathy was a communicable mental health disorder.

I do not feel that it is an even partial defence for suborning the Constitution, committing actionable war crimes, and giving such aid and comfort to our enemies that it really is treason. I can understand the political necessity of Obama not pushing for trials of these people. But I cannot excuse thwarting the solid work of prosecutors who are ready to go.

LeeG
01-05-2010, 11:44 AM
CNN fact checked his recent remarks, and, of course, he had all his facts wrong again.

Most people, if they are wrong a couple of times lose credibility. This man has been wrong over and over and over again, yet some still listen.

That's what I have trouble following.

It's troubling for me too because it means there's a receptivity to unrealistic bat-sh*t warmongering craziness. It's not just Republican. It's the USofA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Bacevich

Bacevich is critical of American foreign policy in the post Cold War era, maintaining the United States has developed an over-reliance on military power, in contrast to diplomacy, to achieve its foreign policy aims. He also asserts that policymakers in particular, and the American people in general, overestimate the usefulness of military force in foreign affairs. Bacevich believes romanticized images of war in popular culture (especially movies) interact with the lack of actual military service among most of the population to produce in the American people a highly unrealistic, even dangerous notion of what combat and military service are really like.

LeeG
01-05-2010, 11:57 AM
The whole SERE bit was originally made to teach our people how to resist making false confessions for show trials. Everyone knew that torture is only useful for PR and terror purposes, not for intelligence. .

the rewards of privatization. The psychologists hired by the CIA to develop/monitor the new "enhanced interrogation techniques" had NO prior experience in interrogations. That is what is worth noting about Cheney, his use of lawyers to subvert the system from within. He picked up Scooter Libby because of his facility in making the Wolfowitz doctrine more politically palatable as it initially raised a lot of flags in '91.

John of Phoenix
01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Bacevich is critical of American foreign policy in the post Cold War era, maintaining the United States has developed an over-reliance on military power, in contrast to diplomacy, to achieve its foreign policy aims. He also asserts that policymakers in particular, and the American people in general, overestimate the usefulness of military force in foreign affairs. Bacevich believes romanticized images of war in popular culture (especially movies) interact with the lack of actual military service among most of the population to produce in the American people a highly unrealistic, even dangerous notion of what combat and military service are really like.
More importantly, they overestimate the value of combat. We've been at this for almost seven years and my wild ass guess is that we've created five to six times as many jihadists as have been killed.

Combat has been incredibly counter-productive but cheney inc. is making billions.

John of Phoenix
01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Yellow journalists.

"The business of newspapers is not to report the news, it's to sell newspapers." Wm Randolph Hearst

bobbys
01-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Stay on script.....

Troubles?.

Go back.

Bring up Bush and Cheney .

Blame bush and Cheney.

Not sure what to do?.

Bring up Sarah Palin!

John Smith
01-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Stay on script.....

Troubles?.

Go back.

Bring up Bush and Cheney .

Blame bush and Cheney.

Not sure what to do?.

Bring up Sarah Palin!
Cheney keeps bringing himself up.

Let m ask you this question: If your financial adviser had the track record Cheney has, how broke would you be now?

This man has gotten NOTHING right. Every time he makes any kind of prediction, it turns out to be wrong.

That's not subjective, that's documentable. So, why do people continue to listen to him? Do they expect the law of averages is about to come into play?

John of Phoenix
01-05-2010, 06:07 PM
So, why do people continue to listen to him? Alternative Reality is a bad ass drug. The reds are hooked and he's got their dope.

Hal Forsen
01-05-2010, 06:30 PM
You Don't Know Dick

24 Fun Facts About Dick
1. Dick Cheney was born in Lincoln, Neb., in 1941.
2. As a young man, Dick Cheney was twice convicted of drunken driving (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/cheney_doc.html). Although the exact number of George W. Bush's convictions for drunken driving is not publicly known, the two have more such convictions than any previous presidential ticket, and perhaps more than all previous presidential tickets combined.
3. Dick Cheney's first job in Washington was a congressional fellowship with Rep. Bill Steiger, R-Wisc. One of Dick Cheney's duties in this job was visiting college campuses to evaluate/spy on antiwar activists.
4. Dick Cheney liked life inside the Beltway so much that instead of returning to graduate school after the fellowship, he took a job with former Rep. Donald Rumsfeld, R.-Ill., who had just been appointed head of the Office of Economic Opportunity.
5. Dick Cheney and his then-boss Donald Rumsfeld, "diminished the power of the [Office of Economic Opportunity] by outsourcing many of its jobs." In 1969, Rumsfeld eliminated 108 jobs at the OEO without explanation. Most had been held by "senior career civil servants who had been appointed by Democrats."
6. From 1979 until 1988, Dick Cheney represented Wyoming in the U.S. House of Representatives.
7. The highest score Rep. Dick Cheney, R-Wyo., ever received from the League of Conservation Voters was 20 percent during his first term. Dick Cheney's scores (http://www.commondreams.org/news2000/0724-03.htm) for his subsequent terms were: 4.5 percent, 13 percent, 16 percent and 0 percent.
8. As secretary of defense under Pres. George H.W. Bush, Dick Cheney oversaw the post-Cold War reduction of military forces, weapons systems and bases. "By the time he was done, the armed forces were at their lowest level since the Korean War."
9. Dick Cheney's approach to base closings and cutting weapons systems was criticized for focusing almost exclusively on bases and weapons programs based in Democratic congressional districts.
10. Toward the end of Cheney’s tenure, the Pentagon decided to turn over to a single company the bulk of the business of planning and providing support for military operations abroad -- tasks such as preparing food, doing the laundry and cleaning the latrines. ... [Dick Cheney] commissioned Halliburton to do a classified study of how this might work. In effect, the company was being asked to create its own market. Halliburton was paid $3.9 million to write its initial report, which offered a strategy for providing support to 20,000 troops. The Pentagon then paid Halliburton $5 million more to do a follow-up study. In August, 1992, Halliburton was selected by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to do all the work needed to support the military during the next five years, in accordance with the plan it had itself drawn up.
11. Dick Cheney was hired to be the CEO of Halliburton in 1995, "not long after he went on a fly-fishing trip in New Brunswick, Canada, with several corporate moguls." Dick Cheney had almost no prior experience in the business world.
12. In 1998, Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney negotiated the acquisition of the company's main rival, Dresser Industries, for $7.7 billion. Halliburton had failed to detect the size of the legal liability that Dresser faced from long-dormant lawsuits dealing with asbestos poisoning. The claims proved so ruinous that several Halliburton divisions later filed for bankruptcy protection. The asbestos settlements devastated the company’s stock price, which fell by 80 percent in just over a year.
13. While Dick Cheney was CEO of Halliburton, the company did business in and with Iran, Libya and Iraq, despite all three countries being considered state sponsors of terrorism at the time.
14. "Under [Dick] Cheney’s watch, two foreign subsidiaries of Dresser sold millions of dollars’ worth of oil services and parts to Saddam's regime" in Iraq.
15. Dick Cheney secured 15 times more in government credit guarantees for Halliburton than his predecessors.
16. Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney negotiated a $490 million loan guarantee from the Washington-based Export-Import Bank for the Russian company Tyumen Oil. It was the "largest loan guarantee to a Russian company in the bank's history."
17. Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney had to fight both the U.S. State Department and the CIA to win the loan guarantee for Tyumen Oil. That battle left him with a fierce animosity and frustration toward these agencies.
18. During his tenure at Halliburton, Dick Cheney was paid about $44 million.
19. Dick Cheney continues to collect about $150,000 a year from Halliburton in "deferred compensation."
20. Dick Cheney "retains stock options worth more than $18 million" in Halliburton. "He has announced that he will donate proceeds from the stock options to charity."
21. While still the CEO of Halliburton, Dick Cheney became the head of Republican presidential candidate George W. Bush's vice-presidential search committee. "Cheney demanded reams of documents from the candidates he considered. In the end, he picked himself."
22. Dick Cheney almost certainly has not done paid work for former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein since Feb. 2003.
23. In the year 2000, Dick Cheney did paid work for both Saddam Hussein and George W. Bush. How many other people can say that?
24. Dick Cheney is the first vice president in my lifetime -- probably the first since Alvin Barkley -- to have no aspirations to succeed the incumbent. Part of the reason for this seems to be that moving into the spotlight as president would require Dick Cheney to give up too much power.

What a great American :rolleyes:

paul oman
01-05-2010, 06:33 PM
He is the Al Gore of politics! -- both following the money....

JimD
01-05-2010, 06:38 PM
This man has gotten NOTHING right. Every time he makes any kind of prediction, it turns out to be wrong...

Not true. Sometime not long after Desert Storm he predicted that an occupation of Iraq would result in a 'quagmire' and he turned out to be quite correct.

John of Phoenix
01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
I get a kick out of the Halliburton story - run it into the ground then bail it out with govt contracts. Too bad he didn't apply the "If I break it I have to fix it" philosophy to other things too.

Captain Blight
01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Hmm... #4 in the above list speaks heavily of Dick Cheney's being part of the "Chicago Machine." And people wonder where he got his money from...?

brad9798
01-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Thank GOODNESS BO has no questionable connections ... and thank goodness BO didn't lie to us during HIS campaign ...

GITMO is closed

We are (just) about to be done in the Middle-East ...

Budget is (just about) balanced ...

GOD BLESS B.O.!

We all love BO, right?

;)

:D

(trying to be funny here ... but guessing I am failing, right?)

Chip-skiff
01-07-2010, 12:43 AM
After Mr. Cheney was elected to his first term in the House, he came to Pinedale for a blah-blah session and I asked him a question about the Forest Service budget. He answered quickly and scornfully.

When I checked the facts, I found that he'd lied, to fob me off and make me seem a fool.

I started calling him Lyin' Dick at that point, and have never had reason to re-evaluate that judgment. The reason he keeps spewing venom is that he worships not justice nor our country nor the common good, but only power.

And he's rapidly losing the power he once had.

brad9798
01-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Cheney probably is a liar ... just like (in my experience) are ALL politicians ...

:(