PDA

View Full Version : Not Turning Republican

Ian McColgin
01-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Not that Iím all that wild about conservatives in general, much less conservative Democrats, but one can sympathize with conservatives of integrity who do not choose to be associated the the pseudo-conservative Republican party.
[TPM is the internet ďTalking Points MemoĒ.]

TPMDC

Party-Switcher Griffith's Capitol Hill Staff Quits En Masse

Eric Kleefeld | January 4, 2010, 10:10AM

In a stark public move to distance themselves from their former boss, former staffers for Rep. Parker Griffith (R-AL) sent out a press release this morning announcing that "nearly every staff member" has quit as a result of his party switch from the Democrats to the Republicans.

The quitting staffers are chief of staff Sharon Wheeler, legislative director Megan Swearingen, senior legislative assistant Brian Greer, legislative assistant Will Crain, press secretary Sean Magers, legislative correspondents Arinze Ifekauche and Chase Chesser, staff assistant Mary Lou Hughston, Congressional fellows Dr. Anjali Shah Kastorf and Leslee Oden -- and even an intern, Andrew Menefee. The only staffer remaining, Magers tells us, is the Congressman's scheduler Leigh Pettis.

"Alabama's Fifth District has deserved and has benefited from great Democratic conservative leadership since Reconstruction. And until now they had it," Wheeler said. "But Parker Griffith has abandoned the legacy of conservative leadership provided by Bud Cramer, Ronnie Flippo, Bob Jones, Howell Heflin, Jim Allen, Lister Hill, John Sparkman, Big Jim Folsom, and so many more."

Wheeler concludes by saying that the staffers are "taking a leap of faith with the belief we will soon find ourselves in the employment of principled public officials." That's a pretty strong insult against Griffith, who has faced criticism from both sides of the political spectrum that his switch was allegedly motivated by electoral considerations. The clear implication is that finding a principled politician to work for would be a change.

# # #

rbgarr
01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
What did he expect, I wonder.

elf
01-04-2010, 01:02 PM
What did he expect, I wonder.

You're implying he was thinking!

Tom Galyen
01-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I find it interesting that when Republicans switch to Democrat that the Democrats talk about his integrity. However, when a Democrat switches to Republican they only talk about his treason.

Would you care to enlighten us on what is a Pseudo-conservative? Also what do you hold against a conservative Democrat. Do you consider them treasonous because they do not march lockstep with the extreme left of the party aka Pelosi, Frank, Kerry, Soros and company?

Parker Griffith as I recall is a doctor (an oncologist) who sees the reality of the evils of the health bill the extreme left of his former party are bullying, forcing and foisting on the American People and wants no part of it. For this he is labeled a Traitor, and slandered by the left in their typical diatribes. His staff that is most likely not as conservative as he is wants to march with the extreme left of the democratic party that is their right. If I were him I doubt that I could trust them anyway.

Having said all this it is still my contention that an elected official should not be allowed to change parties in mid term. He was elected by the people as a Democrat and my standard of ethics say he should serve in that capacity as best he can then announce his change at the next election and run for his new party. Then the people will have an honest choice.

elf
01-04-2010, 01:29 PM
As Peter sibley so sweetly reminded Cris Ross the other day "Mr Ross , respectfully ..you do not have a hard left ,not since about 1937 ."

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107636&highlight=Sibley&page=17

TomF
01-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Tom G,

What precisely are the extreme left foisting upon you in this health bill? Is there anything that's not very much like what's simply normal health care administration in the UK, Australia, Canada, France, New Zealand, etc.?

Have you any notion how offensive it is to your "allies" to be called extremists? Especially when, as the odd-nation-out among the whole industrialized world ... arguably you guys have the "extreme" views on health care?

Maybe we should recall our Afghan troops, and set them to patrolling the border with you guys, since you apparently think we're so damned hostile.

Keith Wilson
01-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Mr. Galyen appears to think that most of the developed world and someting over half of the US consists of "extreme leftists". It's a very odd point of view. I wonder what he would call a genuine extreme leftist; a Trotskyite or Maoist?

BA.Barcolounger
01-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I find it interesting that when Republicans switch to Democrat that the Democrats talk about his integrity. However, when a Democrat switches to Republican they only talk about his treason.

Refresh my memory. How did FoxNews treat Arlen Specter when he switched?

Parker Griffith as I recall is a doctor (an oncologist) who sees the reality of the evils of the health bill the extreme left of his former party are bullying, forcing and foisting on the American People and wants no part of it. F

Parker Griffith is a conservative Democrat from an extremely "Red" district in Alabama, who (as all polls indicate) would not have gotten reelected had he not switched.

He simply saw the writing on the wall.

Ian McColgin
01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
As an example of a psedo-conservative, rather than Vice President Cheney whose dark side is way too freighted, I'll commend to your attention David Addington. For a real conservative of great courage and conscience, try Phillip Zelikow. Their conflict over the USA's torture policy is a classic of good and evil.

oznabrag
01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Tom G,

What precisely are the extreme left ...

Nicely done, TomF.

I am reminded, once again, of the parable of the Shah Pahlavi. He was a Right-winger, and after he came to power, he began persecuting, imprisoning and murdering everybody to the left of him. One day, it became clear that he was the furthest Leftist left, and he was forced to flee for his life.

Tom Galyen is pathetic. He can't even express sympathy for the survivors of the victim of an industrial tragedy, preferring to make it a political thrash, instead.

Pathetic.

High C
01-04-2010, 02:05 PM
What's this? Congressional staffers are partisans!? Who knew?!!!

TomF
01-04-2010, 02:14 PM
... I wonder what he would call a genuine extreme leftist; a Trotskyite or Maoist?My wife's family fled Russia, when the Bolsheviks took power.

There's a rather large distance between the "extreme left" and the non-US members of NATO. And among any of those allies it would be political suicide to repeal universal, publicly financed health insurance. Beloved even by the parties we have on the extreme (err, actually centre-)Right.

Keith Wilson
01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
There's a rather large distance between the "extreme left" and the non-US members of NATO.You think? :D

pefjr
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
I do not want to be associated with you party liners afraid to think for yo self. Left, right, up , down, sideways, cross-eyed, label relying sheeple. Why don't you all flock up over here and I will see if I can't find you a Sheppard and some sheep dogs to herd you all, on your way through the political web of deceit.:rolleyes::D

htom
01-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Interesting that all eleven appear to want to continue to work for the government. Look, ten chiefs (the peripheral processors) and one blazingly fast Indian (central processing units) was a good scheme for the CDC 6600, but one working American can't support ten government workers.

TomF
01-04-2010, 04:17 PM
You're being a bit obscure there, htom.

Are you suggesting that health care is less sustainable in Canada? Because our primarily independent, small-office-practice physicians bill the Department of Health rather than an HMO for the services they provide?

How so? We do it more cheaply than you, with greater coverage, and have fine population health outcomes. Other countries do it even better, cheaper.