PDA

View Full Version : Accident Prone

Katherine
01-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Me.:rolleyes:
I'm beginning to think I should not be allowed out side without a hard hat.

I had an accident at work a few months ago. Fortunately all I got were headache and a bruised ego. The ER doctor actually wrote in my discharge orders that I should not be allowed to incur any more head injuries for at least 10 days. I think I will frame that one.

Last week, I got thrown out of a moving golf cart when. I blame Paul for that one since he was the one driving the golf cart.:eek:

Today, I took out the bottom panel of the garage door with the roll bar on the tractor. The garage door wasn't in the best shape anyway, but at least it was still functional.

I think I'll just go hide under a rock now.:o

jack grebe
01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Me.:rolleyes:
Today, I took out the bottom panel of the garage door with the roll bar on the tractor. The garage door wasn't in the best shape anyway, but at least it was still functional.

Sounds like an excuse to get a new "automatic" door:rolleyes::D...........

At least you're ok;)

seanz
01-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Hide behind a rock and hiding up a tree is right out.

Chip-skiff
01-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Sorry to hear of your slings and arrows. My partner is accident prone, which I think is because she's really bright and always thinking of eight or ten things other than what she's doing.

Years ago, while docking a 40 footer, a sailing instructor chewed me out for reaching through the wheel-spokes to adjust the throttle, and bellowed something that's stuck with me since:

DO ONE BLOODY THING AT A TIME!

Recalling that has kept me out of trouble, on an almost-daily basis. Not that it doesn't happen: I'm looking at an interesting pattern of cuts on my index finger, made by the teeth of a Japanese pull-saw.

But it happens less frequently than it might. Good Luck!

Chris Coose
01-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Don't think you are old enough to have driven large, worn out, Detroit heavy iron regularly. At one time I had both a 64 Chevy Impala and a 66 MG Midget.
The Chevy took a wider birth and some yaw and drift adjustment was all.
I"ve got a MIL I wouldn't ever expect to see operate a golf cart or a tractor but she's some good with the grandchildren. She drifts around like a Buick.

I am completly unable to study and memorize lines, which has always left me out of big musical parts.

paladin
01-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Before I became a "civilian contractor" in Vietnam, I was otherwise employed....just north of Quinhon I got my back peppered with shrapnel...wasn't wearing a flak jacket......they cleaned me up and sent me to Nha Trang Hospital in a convoy...same medics as I had in quinhon as everyone got peppered.....so in the Thuy Hoa pass we came under sniper fire, got kinda heavy....glass was shot outta the vehicle, everyone got peppered again.....nobody seriously hurt or killed......we arrived several hours later in Nha Trang after a couple of stops and detours...in the middle of a rocket attack, the guys were really busy that day......we were rushed to the available bunkers, about half ambulatory at that point....shrapnel all over the place....got some in the right leg...and two of the other guys got some......
When all the paperwork was done.....I had (and also the other guys) paperwork for 3 purple hearts........but the little secret that nobody told us was that with three you could go home...possibly discharge......we found out a while later when we had less than 90 days to go....so little accidents ain't always bad....the BIG hurts I got were after discharge...just couldn't stay away.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Is Paul okay, or is he missing again ..? :D

Mrleft8
01-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I was gonna say..... At least you didn't fall into an abandoned well.....

Ron Williamson
01-02-2010, 06:01 PM
I've trashed a garage door with a tractor cab.
It fit perfectly well,until there was a few inches of packed snow on the ground and chains on the tires.
R

JimD
01-02-2010, 06:56 PM
...I should not be allowed to incur any more head injuries for at least 10 days...

:D Classic.

brad9798
01-02-2010, 07:34 PM
We've all done that sort of thing, Kat ... glad you are okay!

Doors can be fixed/replaced!

But then again, you DO live in Hell!

:D

Bill Lowe
01-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Be hear now.

Robbie 2
01-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Must be a Hell of a place to live if you can't look after yourself!!!

S/V Laura Ellen
01-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Katherine.

I think it is the area you live in. Jo couldn't last an afternoon there without getting hurt.

Mrleft8
01-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Katherine.

I think it is the area you live in. Jo couldn't last an afternoon there without getting hurt.

Experience chimes in........ Finally!!!!!:D

S/V Laura Ellen
01-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Experience chimes in........ Finally!!!!!:D

What are you implying?:D

If you have an accident, and no surgery is involved, it ain't a real accident.
Katherine is just a rank amateur.

Paul Pless
01-18-2010, 05:04 PM
So... if you were working by yourself re-assembling and installing a garage door wih five individual metal panels that have been beaten and bent back into shape (but i digress) would you start with top panel and roll them up as you went or start from the bottom and just stack them as you go?

Mrleft8
01-18-2010, 05:12 PM
So... if you were working by yourself re-assembling and installing a garage door wih five individual metal panels that have been beaten and bent back into shape (but i digress) would you start with top panel and roll them up as you went or start from the bottom and just stack them as you go?

You start by putting the tractor in the garage, shutting the door, raising the bucket about halfway, and putting the tractor in low gear with the throttle on crawl. Then you go to your computer and type in WWW.Overheaddoor.com. :D

Ron Williamson
01-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Start at the bottom and stack them up,from the inside.
BTW,don't pull it down from the outside by putting your delicate fingers between the panels.
R

Paul Pless
01-18-2010, 07:01 PM
BTW,don't pull it down from the outside by putting your delicate fingers between the panels.
RNo doubt! I've worked on a few dangerous things before, but dropping a damaged garage door to the ground that was held together by only a few of the guide wheels, one cable on one side, and about half of the inter-panel hinges ranks pretty high with anything I've ever done to place my fingers at risk.

Phillip Allen
01-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Start at the bottom and stack them up,from the inside.
R

that is flat good advice (times 8 or so) (kinda hutrs my feelers just thinking about it)

Jim Ledger
01-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Last week, I got thrown out of a moving golf cart when. I blame Paul for that one since he was the one driving the golf cart.:eek:

Well, we know that the garage door was Pauls fault. He admitted as much.

But this latest incident sounds...suspicious. Did you have your seat belt fastened? Were you holding on? Engaging in horseplay, maybe?

Paul Pless
01-18-2010, 07:16 PM
But this latest incident sounds...suspicious. Did you have your seat belt fastened? Were you holding on? Engaging in horseplay, maybe?Let me put it this way, I've been driving golf carts since I was like ten, and I can't remember anyone ever falling out of one that I was driving before.

Phillip Allen
01-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Let me put it this way, I've been driving golf carts since I was like ten, and I can't remember anyone ever falling out of one that I was driving before.

so, how do you explain these bouts of amnesia?

paladin
01-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Paul...how much insurance do ya gots on her?

jack grebe
01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
No doubt! I've worked on a few dangerous things before, but dropping a damaged garage door to the ground that was held together by only a few of the guide wheels, one cable on one side, and about half of the inter-panel hinges ranks pretty high with anything I've ever done to place my fingers at risk.
You have a tractor, Why is the door even still there?????

By the way, stack from the bottom

Jim Ledger
01-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Let me put it this way, I've been driving golf carts since I was like ten, and I can't remember anyone ever falling out of one that I was driving before.

That's good enough for me, Paul. Sounds like you might be the victim here.. ;)

Just sayin'.

seafox
01-18-2010, 10:30 PM
can't belive you'd ask paul how much insurance he has on Katherine. she's worth more than any amount of money. besides falling out of golf carts is easy I've done it any number of times in the decade I worked on the golf course. and some times the golf carts fell out from under me
ps late merry christmass and happy new year to you two
jeff

Paul Pless
01-19-2010, 01:19 PM
I think working by myself that installing the top panel first is the way to go. Set it on the ground put the rollers on and roll it up out of the way, then the next on the ground put the rollers on that one then lower the upper panel to it the bolt it together and so on.

Katherine
01-19-2010, 01:23 PM
I think working by myself that installing the top panel first is the way to go. Set it on the ground put the rollers on and roll it up out of the way, then the next on the ground put the rollers on that one then lower the upper panel to it the bolt it together and so on.emmm . . . nope

Paul Pless
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
then i need a hint on how to lift that top panel into place and put the rollers it and bolt it to the four lower panels safely...

all before you get home this evening:eek::D

Phillip Allen
01-19-2010, 01:31 PM
we need pics! (while you still have fingers to push the button)

hokiefan
01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
I think working by myself that installing the top panel first is the way to go. Set it on the ground put the rollers on and roll it up out of the way, then the next on the ground put the rollers on that one then lower the upper panel to it the bolt it together and so on.

When I redid my garage door years ago thats exactly how I did it. It was a single car garage with a wooden door, four panels, one of them with windows. Works fine if you take it one step at a time.

Cheers,

Bobby

Katherine
01-19-2010, 01:33 PM
I vote for getting it done before I get home this evening too.:eek: However, I do not want you to hurt yourself. The way I've seen these things installed is from the ground up. Put the bottom panal & rollers in the top of the tracks, roll it down into place, then add the next panal, bolt them together with the hinges, then just keep stacking the panal on top of each other. It's not technically hard just labor intensive. Can you use Arthur to help with the lifting?

John of Phoenix
01-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Paul, seriously, be very careful with this. That rolled up spring at the top is like a stick of dynamite waiting to go off if you slip up. Did you release the tension on both sides yet?

Paul Pless
01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Yeah John, I've got it on the ground safely. The hard part was getting it down when it was askew and only half of it was supported by the track, without damaging it further. It just so happens I was at another house several months ago when a large garage door collapsed and fell completely to the ground accordion style with me standing near it. Scared the hell out of me, but gave me a little respect for tackling this.

John of Phoenix
01-19-2010, 02:10 PM
I was at another house several months ago when a large garage door collapsed and fell completely to the ground accordion style with me standing near it.Just out of the blue it fell apart? I've never heard of anything like that. Ever hear the expression "Things happen in threes"? Be careful.

My garage door started malfunctioning last summer - wouldn't open or close properly. I fiddled with the controls on the opener before I figured out that the spring had lost some of it's lift and needed to be adjusted. Man, some of stories I came across about how people got hurt fooling with that spring were amazing. It's a simple process if you know what to do and have the tools, but dangerous as hell if you don't. I watched the fellow install the door so I knew the process and didn't have any trouble but I can see where it could be deceptive. BTW, the guy was as big as two people. Maybe that's what you need, a second person.

Added:
It just occurred to me that the spring may have been damaged in the impact. Even a small nick can set up a fatigue crack that will result in a catastrophic failure in the future. Check things over carefully. There's an amazing amount of energy stored in that simple spring.

Paul Pless
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Just out of the blue it fell apart? I've never heard of anything like that. I was working in the garage when it happened. It was at the house that Katherine's former roommate owns, we had our tools stored in her garage. The bracket that the spring attaches to on the top panel of the garage door had fatigued. And when it ripped loose that panel buckled in the middle, falling out of the guides while the rest of the door fell very quickly and collapsed on itself. I was about two feet from it when it happened.

John of Phoenix
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
How strange. Two feet... should have bought a lottery ticket. That was your lucky day.

Here's a set of instructions in case you need them. Note the big warnings about winding the springs.

You are now ready to wind the springs

17. WINDING THE SPRINGS-The holes on the winding end of the spring have been drilled for 1/2" diameter cold rolled steel 15" winding bars (not included). Never use vise grips, pipe wrenches, socket extensions, screwdrivers, rebar, or anything else to wind the springs except the proper winding bars. They should be dressed fully into any of the holes on the spring end. Stand on the ladder off to the side of the springs so that if a bar slips or a casting breaks, the spinning spring won't fling the bar into you. Never stand in front of the springs when winding.

Wind the springs up. It will seem that you are trying to screw the cast end out of the spring, but it only gets tighter. You wind by inserting a bar into a hole on the casting and cranking the spring out and up. Count the turns according to the following guide. While firmly holding the winding bar, turn down the set screws until they contact the shaft, and then 1-1/2 to 2 turns more. Do not touch ANY set screw on a spring without a winding bar firmly in place. Remove the vise grips and wind the other spring the same amount. If the door seems unduly springy or "fast," ease off on the stronger spring as much as one full turn. The door should rise smoothly without flying up or without setting on the floor.

http://www.aaaremotes.com/garagedoorinstallation.html

paladin
01-19-2010, 03:02 PM
I had a '31 Essex and a 66 Cobra in my garage when the spring failed...called the weenie door guy that installed it......he was installing a new spring/brackets etc....and the thing went flying through the air and hit the Cobra.....he apologized and said he would pay for the repaint.....he was a bit upset when the paint shop in Owings sent him a bill for$2700....I had 18 coats of red lacquer on the car with gold/silver metalflake...ya can't patch it, ya gotta repaint the entire thing.......

huisjen
01-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Everyone says "Accident Prone".

Nobody ever says "Accident Supine", even if it leaves them face up.

Dan

Phillip Allen
01-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Everyone says "Accident Prone".

Nobody ever says "Accident Supine", even if it leaves them face up.

Dan

what about recumbent?

Tristan
01-19-2010, 07:32 PM
As I do most of the work around the house, and as our garage door is pretty old, I appreciate the info on winding the spring, etc. The motor went out on the garage door lift about 15 years ago and it's a heavy, fiberglass model. I vowed I'd replace the motor and get a new door when I was no longer able to roll it up manually. So far so good.

Wild Dingo
01-19-2010, 11:39 PM
accident prone? you???? :D:D Your just getting started!! and theres no word of the red flowing stuff so your just a rank amature woman!! GOT to have the red flowing stuff or it dont count! :p

Accidents? I AM an accident waiting to happen!! Always have been always will be why Im surprised as hell that none of the 4 planes that were used to get me there and back didnt fall out of the sky cause I was on them! thats how bad it is!

If theres a rake laying upright in the grass I'll FIND IT... if theres a drill waiting to find red flowing stuff it finds ME... if a door can find fingers of feet to slam onto it WILL find me... If theres a low hanging bough or door ledge it WILL whack me... if theres a loose stone or step it WILL trip me... man I was born to accident!!!

Never ever my fault mind... Im always 50 or so steps in front of whatever it is that clocks me and yeah usually I will see it coming sorta like mmmm large bough of tree hanging low 200 feet in front of me "yeah that could hurt I guess" then 100 feet "now you gotta duck low dude cause that could hurt if you whack it with your scone" CRACK "yep see told you that would hurt huh"

Seriously I think its cause theres so many other things happening in my head and the voices and all that these silly insignigificant things that can hurt just seem to skirt the sidelines and so dont get noticed... UNTIL one is bleeding or unconscious or in hospital then its strewth didnt you realize drilling that knotty old peice of wood on the bench instead of the drill press with a vice and using a forstner bit would simply HAVE to jump and drill your finger out?...

ahhh yes accident prone indeed... started a new job the other week thought BEAUTY!!! bit of money comin in some good people to work with not too bad a truck and forklift to operate this should last me... right?... yeah but I didnt factor in accidents finding me did we! NO WE DIDNT!!!... so there I am tootling around doin me job happy as larry and getting down of the forklift I step into a slight yes SLIGHT depression... ankle decides "FLUCK THIS MATE" and caves inward... carcked it didnt it! so next thing I know Im at the hospital being told it would be faster to go to a private doc then Im at the docs being told I wouldnt be able to walk on the foot for at least 6 weeks... at least this time no leaking red stuff was found and I sorted it in 3 weeks... went to go back to work but hey they got someone else didnt they? not supposed to do that by worksafe but hey this is Broome town so its done and Im back lookin again! :rolleyes:

Accidents? yep the bastards find me!! No matter what I do no matter how careful I am no matter what THEY FIND ME!!! :mad: but you gotta smile cause if you dont you would give up and thats not an option :D

John of Phoenix
01-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Status report please...

BTW, what's your blood type? ;)

Paul Pless
01-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Garage Door is back up!:)

O+

John of Phoenix
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
And no scars. Well done.

Katherine
01-26-2010, 01:06 PM
One more to add to the list: I got hit in the head by a trunk lid yesterday. It's gotten so that the other engineers and techs volunteer to do stuff for me just to avoid the paperwork.:o

Figment
01-26-2010, 01:24 PM
What was Bill Cosby's line?

Something along the lines of "Only people as intelligent as we could fake such stupidity"

It's one way to lighten your workload :D

Paul Pless
05-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Woohoo!!!!

Just got the new garage door installed.

I must be getting old, **** like buying a new garage door would've never brought joy to me ten years or so ago. The installer's only been gone 5 minutes, I bet I have opened and closed it 20 times - its so smooth.:D

LeeG
05-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Homo Domesticus

Paul Pless
05-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Homo DomesticusAyup:D

http://www.mpomerle.com/Auto/Pictures/Ed_Oneil.jpg

leikec
05-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Katherine,

I've read your posts on this thread and Paul's thread on taking down a tree on the property.

Just a quick question: HOW HAVE YOU PEOPLE NOT KILLED YOURSELVES BY NOW??????

:) It's not a good idea to die in hell.

Jeff C

Katherine
05-19-2010, 09:16 PM
What do you call a CUBE that's had a few corners knocked in by someone who couldn't Doge only, Charge.:rolleyes:

seanz
05-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Oh carp! You were in the Cube?

Glad you're OK......mutter mumble....it's no good being able to outbrake those Detroit tanks if they're just going to land on top of you....grumble mutter grumble.....:(

Take care.

ChaseKenyon
05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
glad you are ok Katheryn, oh thats the way my mother spells it.

Anyway take care for a couple of days and make sure it is only sore not really hurt OK!!!!

It can take as much as a week for real hurt to show up. Temporary soreness tends to mask it.

If you were in my VDP Jaguar tank I would not be worried about you. At 25 MPG on the highway I'll take the around town gas hit at 18 mpg for the safety of the super stiff carved out a a single block of metal chassis. Much better than the last four benzes I have owned that that saying was originated for.

The Bigfella
05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Time for a longer car.... keep those nasty Dodges further away.... how about a GTR?