PDA

View Full Version : Main Coast Fisherman

Tristan
01-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Anyone here remember the joy of reading "Maine Coast Fisherman," with it's articles about "Saturday Cove" by Perc Sane and other down east lore by fine fellows and girls now mostly long gone? I miss it.

Ian McColgin
01-02-2010, 11:49 AM
It merged into The National Fisherman and Perc Sane is still reporting on how the gummit makes life tough for Shorty and company.

Chris Coose
01-02-2010, 11:50 AM
I remember Perc in the National Fisherman.
There is another Maine periodical that I find to be above all else. Working Waterfront published monthly by the Island Institute , Rockland.

Tristan
01-02-2010, 11:58 AM
I subscribed to Maine Coast Fisherman, then later National Fisherman for years but didn't know Perc Sane was still "writing." I found Maine Coast Fisherman more fun to read than National Fisherman, probably because I knew a bit about the lobster fishery around Harpswell and Bailey's Island.

Mrleft8
01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I remember Bert Dow, "Deepwater man"..... His peppermint twist bandages probably saved a lot of lobstermen when those whales came through..... By jeezuz.....

Ian McColgin
01-02-2010, 03:18 PM
What I miss is that cartoonist whose name I can't recall but some of his stuff became T-Shirts like the black one with two crossed fish skelletons and the motto

Spawn and Die.

katey
01-02-2010, 11:46 PM
I second the recommendation of "Working Waterfront."

BrianW
01-03-2010, 09:42 AM
The Alaskan Fisherman also merged with National Fisherman.

Anyone here happy with the changes?

Tristan
01-03-2010, 05:54 PM
What I miss is that cartoonist whose name I can't recall but some of his stuff became T-Shirts like the black one with two crossed fish skelletons and the motto

Spawn and Die.

Are you talking about Paul Loring? I believe he owned an open wooden boat named GloryAnna, an old working sailing lobster boat?

Chris-on-the-Boat
01-03-2010, 10:32 PM
When Alaska Fisherman's Journal went away the pacific fisherman lost a friend. The annual AFJ Pilothouse Guide used to be the yellow pages and mapquest for trollers, and many a dog-eared copy stood watch in the wheelhouse as we chased the salmon from California to Alaska. I miss it. Still have a few copies in the wheelhouse...

Ian McColgin
01-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Gotta love google. I tried one of his cartoon lines, "Fish worship. Is it wrong?" And got him.

Ray Troll. Google on that and take your pick. Super for those who remember and revelatory for those who'd missed it.