PDA

View Full Version : Radio scanner-need suggestion on late Xmas gift

bluedog225
01-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm looking for a late X-mas gift for my dad (we agreed not to exchange gifts and he got me one anyway...:().

He's a long, long time ham radio enthusiast and has just about everything made before 1990, plus all his dad's ham equipment.

He's 79 now and I think he would enjoy some modern, gee whiz, multi-purpose scanner that would pull in NOAA weather, short wave, local police/fire...either desktop or mobile. Is that too broad a range for one piece of equipment?

I'm open to other suggestions. He loves his Iphone.

I'd appreciate a recommendation. I've looked around the websites but I'd just be making a badly educated guess as to quality and functionality.

Thanks

Tom

paladin
01-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Gimmeee an idea of price range....
For about $230 you can get an Icom R5 which is the handheld scanner, with the reduced coverage range due to size, but still a nice unit...to the R20 at about $550-600 which is the complete communications version with all the bells and whistles built in....or I have a like new R7000 which can be yours at the reduced price of $1600......with all the options. When you decide send me a private message and I'll check the usual ham sources for the best prices.

rbgarr
01-01-2010, 01:53 PM
If you can't find a scanner that suits, how about a gift certificate for IPhone apps.

bluedog225
01-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'll run these through back channels and see what happens. The R7000 is a nice little unit....somebody called it "the ultimate spy receiver" imagine that...but a bit out of my price range....the R5 is more likely.

paladin
01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
When the first R7000 were introduced, nothing currently being made in the U.S. as communications receivers for 3 times the money could match it...the government ordered so many units that the ham market almost closed down. Then they were sent to specialty shops to have all the switching diodes and some other parts replaced with schottky devices which made them channel faster and more sensitive. They stopped making it because it was so expensive to manufacture and redesigned a simpler unit, but by the time you add all the options to the replacement device it's almost as expensive.
I have three and all set to sweep different ranges. I also designed a board that fits exactly into the voice synthesizer space that changes the frequency coverage to 0-100 mhz by merely pressing in the dimmer switch. That board and the cabling was a darn good seller for 5-6 years, as fast as we could make them.

bluedog225
01-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks Paladin. My dad was impressed with "my" taste in radio equipment but says the last thing he needs is another receiver. His other response was "when are you going to get your ham license?" :D Some things never change. I appreciate the help. Tom