PDA

View Full Version : A very public confession

bamamick
12-31-2009, 02:36 PM
This hurts me a lot to confess to you all, but as a part of what I am going to be doing about it here goes: I weigh 291 pounds!

No excuses. No reasons why. I am just far too heavy and if I don't do something about it right now I'll probably be dead of a heart attack before long. Anyway, over the holidays my wife and kids expressed concern and my sweet wife set me up with an appointment with a doctor at the Eastern Shore Weight Loss Clinic. Yesterday we met and talked, so tomorrow I will begin.

1000 calories a day for the next 30 days to begin with. The immediate goal is to lose 60 pounds, hopefully in the next 6 months, but we'll see. I am praying for the strength I am going to need to get through this. If you don't mind, I'd appreciate prayers or positive thoughts from anyone willing.

Thanks to you all for being there to listen.

Mickey Lake

Uncle Duke
12-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Good for you for taking on the task and the challenge! Can't be easy, but the rewards have gotta be great - have patience....
Best of luck!

John of Phoenix
12-31-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm going for 30# in the next six months. I'm with you on positive thoughts.

botebum
12-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Good luck Mickey. It may be hard but I'm sure you can do it. You have your family's support. That's important.

Doug

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Good on you.

Hwyl
12-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Good luck Mickey. Although I don't have weight problems I do have pretty bad asthma. I was lucky enough to find a great Yoga class, a bunch of very irreverent women and although they do the namaste thing, there usually a couple of good belly laughs in there too, usually at my expense.

Many of the women are there for weight loss and toning. Maybe you can find something similar in your area

Edited to add, it's helped enormously with upper respiratory function, but not lung capacity, I do feel much healthier.

S/V Laura Ellen
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
I'll join you in your quest. I also need to lose a ton of weight over the next few months.

Hope you meet your goals!

Paul Pless
12-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Good luck Mickey! thoughts and prayers your way

<<i'm a fat ass too :o:(>>

David G
Tough row to hoe. I admire your starting. It won't be easy... but you can change your patterns and succeed long term.

First prayer sent. Don't be afraid to ask for more.

G'luck,

Bobby of Tulsa
I wish you the best. It is not just for you, but for all those that love you. Prayers.

Chris Coose
Nice Mickey. A disclosure in a group has been a very effective means to overcome what appears to be the impossible since 1935.
I believe you can make that happen in the bilge. I was just saying in an anniversary meeting the other night that with all the elements of the support fellowship I belong to, the group is the most important and has been all along.
Beyond an ability to attend meetings practically 24/7 I also belong to 2 other men's groups. One that meets weekly and another that meets semi-annually for long weekends.

Not sure if I could maintain remission alone. It really is, I don't care to do it alone.

From the clinic, see what they offer for groups and if that don't work, find some guys and make a group that has the potential to last.

See what's around for OA. I'm not a big fan of FA (fundies).

Unlike Gareth, the skirts can be a massive distraction to me so when I go to Yoga I am motivated in a strictly recreational sense which does advance my remission mission to a small degree. I'd love to have a photograph of gareth in an assisted down dog.

McMike
12-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, I know I’ve got some weight to loose and was looking to start this weekend. So I’m not only sending good vibes your way but I’ll be right there with you. Just remember your goal and your motivation. Be well.

Davy Jones
12-31-2009, 02:59 PM
You go BAMA! shuck that weight and get on with your life. Check out the show The biggest loser, it can be very inspirational into seeing what you can achieve. Best of luck to you!

Yeadon
12-31-2009, 03:01 PM
I hope you live to be a very old man, Mickey. You're on the right track now.

rbgarr
12-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Best of luck to you Mick! As you exercise (lightly to start I hope!) you'll feel much better. Focus on that versus how many pounds you lose. After a while you'll feel stronger and lighter on your feet just from having more strength and better balance. It will be so rewarding!

DT

Flying Orca
12-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Good luck and thanks for the kick in the behind - I could stand to lose forty or fifty pounds myself!

stumpbumper
12-31-2009, 03:15 PM
I wish you the best. I've just lost 25 pounds myself, with 25 more to go. There is a wesite, www.sparkpeople.com, that helped me. It's a good way to log in the calories you consume, plus the calories you normally burn and those burned by additional exercise. It will also give you a support group with thousands of others who are on weight-loss programs. I've lost mine just limiting calories to 1800 per day. Stick with it, even if you have plateaus or minor lapses. You will see results quickly. It's the only time where you can say that losing is winning. Good luck.

JimD
12-31-2009, 03:19 PM
1,000 calories isn't much for a big guy who likes to eat. It might not be realistic.

StevenBauer
12-31-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm with you, Mickey. I'm trying to lose about 20 lbs, too. I'm shooting for 190 from 210. Starting tomorrow.

Steven

rbgarr
12-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Mick,

Some IPhone apps for food intake, exercise, and weight loss programs.
http://mashable.com/2009/01/03/free-iphone-apps-to-lose-weight/

pefjr
12-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Take up Tennis or Basketball and good luck Bama.

seanz
12-31-2009, 03:34 PM
1,000 calories isn't much for a big guy who likes to eat. It might not be realistic.

Hey! No skinny people allowed!
:p

There is a phenomena I've noticed over the years....The Christmas Kilo and it got me again. :eek:

That's an extra one to lose now.......

I want to get under a 100k for my Birthday in March....so, for the metricaly impaired, I need to lose 26 pounds. Yeah right.....:o
Breakfast......toast with honey, a banana, an apple....two cups of coffee with sugar.
:rolleyes:
Might go for a bike ride...........
:cool:

pefjr
12-31-2009, 03:37 PM
A donut= 20 minutes on the treadmill.

Chris Coose
12-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Starting tomorrow.

Tee hee.
I make a living off that singular sentence.

seanz
12-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah, ah, you should't really do that sort of math pefjr.....it works in reverse for some people.
:)

Anyway.....no treadmill for Mickey, it's Winter, he needs one of those fancy Nordic skiing machines.
:)

Chris Coose
12-31-2009, 03:50 PM
I know this is simple and maybe peculiar to me but it's worked well for the past 20 years.
Instead of, "I'm going to lose .... #'s", begin with "I'm going to quit gaining today."
Somehow that gentle message strikes the subconscious with near immediate results. I go up and down just 10 pounds a year, as regular as the tide.
But the ebbing always begins with that wish.

Joe (SoCal)
12-31-2009, 03:51 PM
A donut= 20 minutes on the treadmill.

What if you have a doughnut machine behind you pumping out fresh hot doughnuts on their own little tredmill ? :rolleyes: Talk about fighting temptation.

Hey Mickey, I've met you and I've seen you sail a beatle cat and I would say you have a competitive athlete in you. Unleash that and focus on TWO things what you put in you and what you put out in the form of exercise. Thats all it takes eat less and work more. I lost about 18 lbs and I'm holding at the 169 - 172 lb range. If you need any advice PM me.

Best of luck
Joe

John Smith
12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
I was up to 312.

I decided a diet wasn't my thing. Know too many people who lost weight, stopped the diet, and gained it back.

In spite of the weight, I felt pretty good and kind of forced myself into doing things. I cut down as much as I felt comfortable with without going crazy, and I got down to 285.

When I got the sinus infection a couple of months ago, which is still here, it really killed my energy, and I've gained 6 lbs back.

I need to clean up my office, but I just don't feel up to it. Can't get my head into it.

I'm lighter this new year's than last new year's. Hopefully I'll manage to be lighter next year this time.

I drink water, black coffee, and a V8 once in a while. I try really hard at dinner time not to have seconds.

Hope you are successful. Hope I'm successful. Hope all are successful. It's easy to say and hard to do.

seanz
12-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Make that one cup of coffee with sugar and one without.:p:eek::p:eek::p.
Well I'm awake now.........dieting is haaaaaaaaaard.
:D

LeeG
12-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Mickey, my confession is that I've got high blood pressure and haven't done anything for it except get heavier. I had it before I got fat. So I'm off to the doctor and lower it through the usual means.

btw. 1000cal/day sounds dangerous to my nonmedical mind. A friend who is 6'7" and 325 got 50lbs off by dropping to 1500 calories. Good luck however you do it and not doing it alone.

PeterSibley
12-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Dieting is crap and it just doesn't work ! You have to choose different food to eat because you want to , a diet by definition is something you'll be on for a while .Make a slow change , give up the crap you least like and aim for a slow sustainable change .

Exercise but see the doctor first .Don't run .

Dream about seeing your grandkids graduate !

Good Luck Mickey !

SMARTINSEN
12-31-2009, 04:38 PM
You can do it.

I once topped off at 268 lb. I lost about 90 lb. This was over 20 years ago, and I have managed to keep (most of:o) it off.

Basically, I stopped drinking beer eliminated all desserts, and ate well but modestly for almost an entire year. I drank a LOT of coffee.

But you will find that it is a lifetime commitment. Exercise is important--it helps with your motivation, and it will be a great benefit in helping you stay the course.

Having said all that, you are really not too fat.......just a little short for your weight:)

BTW, I agree with JimD that 1000 calories per day seems drastic. But who are you going to listen to a bunch of bilge rats or your doctor?

Best of luck to you, Mickey.

Chris Coose
12-31-2009, 04:40 PM
and BTW, you'll find it isn't all about food as you go along.

MiddleAgesMan
12-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Good on ya' Mickey!

I'm not your Doctor, but I can tell you that the easiest way to lose weight is to start eating vegetarian. Ease into it and stick with it, and the pounds will fall off.

It's true.

It's especially easy if you live with a good vegetarian cook! :p;):D

Best of luck man!

I can vouch for that, from personal experience. When I lived on a boat I refused to buy meat for the simple reason I didn't trust it to stay safe in the ice box (not refrig---ice box). I had been approaching 200 but after about 3 months without meat I was an almost trim 180. I could (and probably should) return to a vegetarian diet in a heart beat.

Best of luck however you do it.

PeterSibley
12-31-2009, 05:06 PM
You can do it.

I once topped off at 268 lb. I lost about 90 lb. This was over 20 years ago, and I have managed to keep (most of:o) it off.

Basically, I stopped drinking beer eliminated all desserts, and ate well but modestly for almost an entire year. I drank a LOT of coffee.

Best of luck to you, Mickey.

That's an interesting point , one of the big problems for men is having a few beers then eating dinner afterwards .The beer has supplied readily available calories andthe body saves dinner for later , around your waist .

Vince Brennan
12-31-2009, 05:13 PM
I think you're probably one of the best-liked people on the forum, so I'm not surprised at all the great suggestions (and the several caveats about the paucity of calories) and well-wishes you're getting, but:

I have to tell you that it has NOTHING to do with diet or calories or vegetarian vs. non-vegetarian, or...

There is only one successful way to lose weight: Change your headset toward food.

If you can change your vision of food and what it means to you from comfort/taste/fulfillment to utility/taste/nutrition, you will have conquered 80% of the hill... the other 20% is sticking to it.

(Incidentally, DON'T skimp on taste! Remember "Joshua Burgers", those flat, lifeless lumps of soy protein that were supposed to be sooo good for you? Well, they REALLY were, but no-one could choke 'em down, so what the hell good were they? A tasteless regimen will have you back at Burger-Donald's before your scale stops spinning!)

I'm no skinny (as those who know me will attest) but I'm a deal less present than I was for the WBS last year and hope to be even less so by this WBS.

I wish you all the luck with your quest! Change your head and you'll DEFINITELY find yourself changing your wardrobe (and probably your shoe width as well)!

Go getttum, Kemo Sabe!

[/preaching]

Hughman
12-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Good for you, Mickey. I dunno wanna read about demise any time soon.

So...here's a question for ya... How much advice can you stand?

Happy New Year, buddy.

PeterSibley
12-31-2009, 05:17 PM
[There is only one successful way to lose weight: Change your headset toward food.

If you can change your vision of food and what it means to you from comfort/taste/fulfillment to utility/taste/nutrition, you will have conquered 80% of the hill... the other 20% is sticking to it. ]

Wisdom indeed ! I've practised that all my life .

bobbys
12-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Good for you Mickey.

I need to lose a bunch cause im 6 foot 235.

Last time i went on a diet i did the Atkins and dropped to 210 fast but it almost killed me.{i think its bad on the liver}

I have taken to Oatmeal every morn like a horse with a feedbag, No more Lucky charms..

Fried potato's are out which was my very fav food.

More trips to the supermarket for fresh greens and i try and eat them first...

Crock pot of pea and lentil soups.

The more i Think about a diet the more i eat so this time im just thinking of eating right all the time .

I do have ring dings in a closet in case i fall off the wagon!

pefjr
12-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Do not live to eat.
Eat to live.

bamamick
12-31-2009, 05:50 PM
As always, much kindness and support, greatly appreciated.

A couple of things: the 1000 calories a day may be too drastic, but I have regularly scheduled meetings with the doctor to discuss things and I am sure he will advise me.

My blood pressure is 130/90. My total cholesterol is 170, but my triglycerides are about 210 and that's too high. My EKG was fine. Not a lost cause, yet.

I think the idea of a support group is a good one. I will look into it.

A 'diet' is not something that I do too well on, although in the past I have had it work (I lost over 30 pounds once dieting, but I was coaching high school baseball and working out at that time). A 'program' administered by a doctor with regular checkups maybe I can do. I hope so. I am going to try.

If everyone who is trying to lose weight wants to update us on progress here I'd appreciate it.

Mickey Lake

JimM
12-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Mickey
I have to agree with the others, most doctors will have women on diets consume 1,200 cal. and men about 1,500. They will also want you to lose about 1 lbs a week rather than the 2.5 lbs. a week you are hoping for.

htom
12-31-2009, 07:27 PM
First, my very best wishes.

My own confession: this morning's weight was 307.2, over the +-1% of 303 I've had for the last year. The really good thing is that that's a long way down from whatever it was when I started loosing eight years ago; maybe 360. I think in the slide down I got to 280 for a bit, but it's slid back up; this is about what I weighed when I graduated from high school. I don't carry it as well as I did then.

I'm trying to lose, too. Hopefully, 0.5% or 1.0% per week, which will take me to 182-236 by year's end.

A thousand calories a day is probably too little, and short on protein for a male.

Dave Gray
12-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Good luck to you both - Mickey and htom - in the year to come. I suppose it is all about habits, cravings, and discipline. The latter seems to be harder to adhere to as we get older!

Katherine
12-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Diet is a four letter word. Paul and I are both making plan to modify our diets to eliminate the junk. I've never been a believer of the low fat or no fat food substitutes. Food is not the enemy, bad choices are.

I'm going to work on loosing 5lbs a month until I get to the weight I want. It's not that far off, but I'm not comfortable where I'm at. As a mutual Christmas present to each other, Paul and I bought a Wii fit. After it told me my "Real" age, it almost went through the front window.:mad::rolleyes::D

seanz
12-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Really?
So...
What did it say?

huisjen
12-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Good on ya' Mickey!

I'm not your Doctor, but I can tell you that the easiest way to lose weight is to start eating vegetarian. Ease into it and stick with it, and the pounds will fall off.

It's true.

It's especially easy if you live with a good vegetarian cook! :p;):D

Best of luck man!

As a good vegetarian cook, I can tell you that this is false. Ask Katey or Sarabelle. I am fattening.

Dan

seanz
12-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Went for a bike ride...............
Ate a salad for lunch.........

I feel lighter already.

PeterSibley
12-31-2009, 08:27 PM
The aim is the same trouser size you had at 30 .

elf
12-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Do not live to eat.
Eat to live.

borrring! Why would one wish to limit oneself to just what is needed to live? :rolleyes:

huisjen
12-31-2009, 08:43 PM
I find that exercise is key. Exercise alters both the quantity I want to eat and the types of food I'm hungry for. I start with exercise. Diet follows.

Dan

Shang
12-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Good for you, Mickey!
Notice two things:
You are getting a lot of very good advice from a lot of good friends here, and most of it is sound, practical advice.
And notice also that a lot of us are saying, "Uhhh... gee, Mickey, I could lose a few pounds and be better for it too... thanks for reminding me..."
So you are doing a service with your post.
Thanks.

capnharv
12-31-2009, 08:52 PM
I've got a good 60-70 pounds to lose too. My doctor has been after me for years to work harder at losing some of it.

We got a Wii Fit for Christmas too. I've played with it-it's a lot of fun. I was surprised at my "age" too.

Hang in there Mickey. It takes work to change, but it can be done.

Harvey

Harbormaster
12-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Cliche alert, "The longest journey starts with a single step." Change just a couple of things to start. It took a long time to gain weight, it should take a long time to take it off.

Cut just a few things out of your normal diet, and walk a little more. A pound is about 3,000 calories. A 16oz can of soda is about 200 calories. Cut out the soda and that's about half a pound a week, 2 a month or 20 a year.

The first pound is the first step, then two, then 5 then ten. There's no easy fast way. It took years to develop our habits, it takes years to change them. You can do it, just figure out what you can cut out.

huisjen
12-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Muttar Paneer

Ingredients:

* 500 gms paneer cubed
* 200 gms shelled peas
* 2 large onions
* 28 oz crushed tomatoes
* 1 tbsp ginger
* 2 tbsps garlic paste
* 2 tsps coriander powder
* 1 tsp cumin powder
* 2 tsps garam masala
* 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
* 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
* 1/2 tsp cardamom
* 6 tbsps of oil
* 1 1/2 cups water
* Salt to taste
* 3 tbsps cream

Fry the paneer in oil, drain, set aside.
Puree the onion, then fry the puree until it's cooked to the point that a regular onion slice would be translucent. Add the spices. Cook a few more minutes. Add tomato and water and paneer. Cook a while to meld the flavors. Add salt and cream. Serve over rice.

When the food is good, it's easy to eat too much.

Dan

Captain Blight
12-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Basically, if you keep in mind that there's no such thing as eating too many apples, you'll do fine. Eat an apple before every meal, in fact about 20 minutes before, and you will lose weight like motherfather (at least at first). And apples are *SO* good for you, particularly your heart. If you're going to be eating this many do be sure to wash them first, all those chemicals definitely definitely do something. Plus you'll poop like a champ, which is not to be sneezed at. Eat a handful of punkinseeds every day or so, hulls and all... You'll understand what I'm getting at if you just do it. Point is, all those years of the diet that led you to this point has done gruesome things to yer giblets; and everyone knows you don't try to rebuild an engine without getting the grime off it first. I believe Spinner has a recipe for a refreshing and effervescent colon tonic. Who knows, it might even help with that not-so-fresh feeling.

If you're willing to sink about $1200 into this project, go out and get yourself a Surly Crosscheck bicycle. Last year's models are going out the door in the $950 range, and take up the slack on the rest with a Brooks leather saddle and getting the wheels hand-tensioned a couple times in the first 500 miles of riding. Color choices are limited, that's Surly's thing, but it is good steel frame with good components that will take your weight.

Then ride it everywhere. Push yourself little by little-- and don't forget to just go out for a bike ride in the neighborhood every once in a while.

I lost 90 pounds doing this in the past couple years. Slow and steady wins the race. I made a pound a week my goal, and pretty much met it. I watch what I eat, try and eat a balance (There is definitely something to the fatteningness of carbs) with the caveat that I very, very rarely eat processed foods of any sort and make a big ol' hissy fit big deal about local, fresh and organic (when I can get it at a good price.) Riding the bike to the Cambodian market can be fun, or it can be a total drag. The legs feed the wolf.

Do kinda keep a running track of what your calorie consumption is. Try to learn to like the feeling of being just a little hungry most of the time. Eventually you'll be able to see your feet and your peepee at the same time. It was a big day for me when that happened!

huisjen
12-31-2009, 10:20 PM
When Jami was in the Air Farce, she had a medical issue that caused the doctor to order her to drink six glasses of water before every meal. She said it was an effective diet program because by the time she drank it all she was full.

Dan

Shang
12-31-2009, 10:23 PM
borrring! Why would one wish to limit oneself to just what is needed to live? :rolleyes:

Good point.
But not to derail the thread at hand let's start another thread, "Eat to live, live to eat."
I'll go launch it now... it'll be a wowser since I'll open a vegetarian argument to get the ball rolling.

PeterSibley
12-31-2009, 10:32 PM
If you're willing to sink about $1200 into this project, go out and get yourself a Surly Crosscheck bicycle. Last year's models are going out the door in the $950 range, and take up the slack on the rest with a Brooks leather saddle and getting the wheels hand-tensioned a couple times in the first 500 miles of riding. Color choices are limited, that's Surly's thing, but it is good steel frame with good components that will take your weight.

Then ride it everywhere. Push yourself little by little-- and don't forget to just go out for a bike ride in the neighborhood every once in a while.

A$1950 here !! I guess that's why I still ride my 20 year old mountain bike on slicks :rolleyes:.I wish it would break so I could get something new and cute , but the thing won't even run a bearing !!Perfect if a little rusty :D.That's what you get for buying good gear to start with .....

htom
01-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Those interested in tracking their loss might enjoy signing up at PhysicsDiet (http://physicsdiet.com/) where you can get free charts showing your loss, mathematicly smoothed to encourage you after a few weeks.

MattL
01-01-2010, 12:33 AM
OK, I'm 287 lbs, at 5'11". I went to the heart dr. yesterday, I'm scheduled for a stress test next month. Right now the kids are eating chocolate, I'm breaking out the cellery. I'll join you in your quest, but I don't think I'll make the 1000 cal/day.

We went to SF this week, one of the things we did was walk from Fishermans warf to Coit tower. The boys ran, I labored. I did make it though.

Concordia...41
01-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Stumpbumper's website is good as are:

http://caloriecount.about.com/

and www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com)

There are probably another dozen out there - plus now iPhone apps and the like that allow you to set up a free profile and then research and log calories

I'm with fitday (it was Lew Barrett recommendation) and absolutely love it. Caloriecount has more of a support network so I get a daily e-mail from them but track food and exercise in fitday.

For you or anyone reading this - what's amazing is after just a few weeks of entering things - the program produces some incredible calculations - graphs showing % of daily nutrition, a pie chart that shows the % of calories from carbs vs fat vs protein (and ahem - alcohol...), actually there are dozens of charts that it'll crank out.

For me that works because I'm a numbers person - at 1600 calories, the % of calories from fat (30 for me based on my glycemic index) should be 480. Knowing that and being able to see it typed in and tracked from day to day is a powerful tool.

But just as much as I like that kind of thing, other's may be overwhelmed or just turned off by it. If anyone would like to see how amazing this is with months of data inputted, PM me. I'm happy to share my login and you can see everything that I've tracked - (probably 85-90%) since last March.

I'm also of the set that 1000 calories a day is low, but you're working with a professional, and I'd venture a guess that part of the plan that they have worked up based on your personality, current health and habits, calls for a jump start - i.e. they want you to make big changes and see a big difference fast to get you motivated.

Regardless of the various plans and what works for who, what matters is that a person do something. Something positive - and even as Chris pointed out, sometimes doing something positive involves doing nothing - i.e. not gaining.

You know your triggers and motivations, find what works / feels good and stick to it.

In one of my groups we all had to pick one word that we wanted to use as a touchstone or grounding to guide us in 2010.

My word = consistency

Keep us posted on your progress. You're worth it!

- M

McMike
01-01-2010, 09:01 AM
It seems we could keep this thread or start a new one for all of us who have committed to loose weight. Accountability to others is often the best motivator and I think it would help a good many of us here on the forum. It needs a leader to keep things on subject, I decline nomination if this is something the rest of the group want's to do.

We can call it "Anchors Aweigh".:)

What do ya think?

Mrleft8
01-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Good luck! I lost 20+ pounds in about a week last year (Well......Year before last now....) But I don't recomend the method to anyone....

bamamick
01-01-2010, 10:17 AM
I started this morning. The shake thingee wasn't bad. I took my 37 mg of Phentermine to go with it. I will have an apple at 10 am, my power bar at 12, some almonds at 2-3pm, and for dinner I will have a Lean Cuisine pizza or some chicken alfredo and a protein shake for afters. That's it. That's the plan for 30 days.

I am going to begin a journal and keep it up for as long as I do this.

I am telling you, the idea of joining a basketball league for old, fat guys sounds pretty appealing to me. I need to see what's available. If not maybe I can get some guys at work together and we can do it at a park or Y? I love playing basketball, or at least I did when I could still play.

I would also like to do one of these 5K runs they do here all the time, but my knees haven't been able to take running for a long time. It'd be cool to think that I could do that again. You may not believe it, but at one time I was more or less addicted to running and lifting. That was a long time ago, though. Last year in heavy air I had trouble getting the main uncleated on the Dragon! Argh! Not this year! This year will be different!

Mickey Lake

Joe (SoCal)
01-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Thats it Mickey set achievable goals and document them. Get on the scale every morning. Join a sport keep the activity up. The hardest thing you will find will not be loosing the weight but making this EVERYTHING a part of your life your very existence. The goal should not just be loosing amount of weight but converting your lifestyle. Trust me if its just about diet you will fail cause your body will revolt and as soon as you get to the desired weight you will cave to indulgence. Once you get your lifestyle down you can reward yourself and stil live healthy. But you are on the right track. Good luck. I'm off to the gym myself now.

Phillip Allen
01-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I'll join the cheering section...let us know about any progress

huisjen
01-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Maybe we should all co-write a diet book which is heavy on exercise. We could call it "The Ibuprofen Diet". :D

I did my three boring miles on the treadmill this morning. It claims that was 500 calories. If I did that six days a week, with no other changes to intake or metabolism, I'd have lost a pound. Good thing I got the adapter to put any headphones I want on the new iPod Shuffle.

Things look promising for some XC skiing later.

Dan

LeeG
01-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I put on my socks and am thinking of walking.

LeeG
01-01-2010, 12:13 PM
If you're willing to sink about $1200 into this project, go out and get yourself a Surly Crosscheck bicycle.

the thing is to ride it. I've gained weight since I got my cool bikes simply because I spent more time sitting.

That said the Cross-Check has gotta be the best pre/post apocalypse road bike for all uses. It's not the tour bus that the LHT (long haul trucker) is but more like an updated better handling more versatile Schwinn Varsity, or if YOU have the hp a rally car like the Subaru WRX. It's a good handling tank. Excellent road handling with skinny tires and if you wanted to put mondo 45mm dirt tires on they'll fit. Good balance for hands off riding and slow speed movements on/off curbs.

Actually a 26" wheeled LHT wouldn't be a bad idea either for a 300lb person. Just don't pedal through tight corners as the bb is low.

I set up my CC with a single 38t front chainring, ring guard where the outer chainring would be and 11-28 cassette in the back. One bar end shifter and big brass bell on the stem.

rbgarr
01-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Mick,

Be careful about playing basketball. I don't play but a friend started up after years of being sedentary and promptly tore his Achilles tendon due to the jumping and twisting. Not helpful at all.

bobbys
01-01-2010, 01:36 PM
My wife came home with 2 dozen chocolate chip cookies that are on the table right now.

Folks, im being tested......

Not sure what mettle im made of, I have been a Weak man before.........

Paul Girouard
01-01-2010, 01:38 PM
My wife came home with 2 dozen chocolate chip cookies that are on the table right now.

Folks, im being tested......

Not sure what mettle im made of, I have been a Weak man before.........

Go ahead bobbys what one lil cookie gonna do?

Ya fat bastid!

Nanoose
01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Food is not the enemy, bad choices are.

Thank you, Katherine.

Nanoose
01-01-2010, 01:57 PM
My word = consistency

- M

Thanks, Margo.

bobbys
01-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Go ahead bobbys what one lil cookie gonna do?

Ya fat bastid!.

Go ahead and try and push me it wont work!!

htom
01-01-2010, 02:32 PM
For those interested in running (I love it, but at my size my knees ...) lots of people have found success with the Couch to 5 K (http://www.c25k.com/) (c25k) program; it's been extended to a 5k to marathon plan, too, if you're already doing 5ks. It's as important in these plans to do the "time off" as it is to do the "time exercising"; it gives your body time to build new muscle, etc. If you do this while also trying to lose weight, there's a danger of losing too much muscle tissue, so error on the side of consuming too much protein.

One cookie? To paraphrase Baba Ram Das, "There is the first bite of the cookie, umm, crunchie and sweet. There is the middle bite of the cookie, the way it swirls around your mouth (he was talking about a dish of ice cream, not a cookie), and then there's the last bite, all gone. All you need is three bites, if you pay attention."

Paul Girouard
01-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Go ahead and try and push me it wont work!!

How about just a lil nudge?

http://www.chocolaterewards.com/img/chocolate-chip-cookie_01.jpg

Come on it's just one lil cookie!:D And your such a big strong carpenter , what can it hurt? You'll "work it off" tomorrow. ;)

John Meachen
01-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Good luck with the new lifestyle,that's really what you are planning rather than just a change in food input.Success with the process should enable you to continue sailing the Finn that you so clearly enjoy as you will be reducing the strain on the knee joint.I believe the Dragon also has a weight limit at major regattas,so you might have extra options with your crew selection.

john welsford
01-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Well done Mickey, recognising that you have a problem is a big step. There are several roads from there, most will work if you stick at them for long enough.

A story to help you. About 2 years back a freind of ours who said she thought she needed to get some exersize came for a walk around a little inner city lake with us, about 4 km, nice and level. She only made it halfway. I had to go get the car and bring it back and it took two of us to help her the 50 yards to the car.
18 months later she came with us and walked this

http://www.tongarirocrossing.org.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=27

What the metrically challenged might not pickup is that it climbs from about 1900 ft to over 6000 and then back down the other side. Its a very challenging walk over extremely rough terrain. Incidentally for the Lord of the Rings fans, one of the big craters near the top of the walk was the location for "Mordor".

She made it, it took a few days for her to recover, but she made it. The fitness and diet program that did it was simple, lots of excersize, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, no take out foods, and keep at it. Lost about 12.5 % of her weight in the process. She's still out there walking.

It can be done, you CAN do it.

John Welsford

As always, much kindness and support, greatly appreciated.

A couple of things: the 1000 calories a day may be too drastic, but I have regularly scheduled meetings with the doctor to discuss things and I am sure he will advise me.

My blood pressure is 130/90. My total cholesterol is 170, but my triglycerides are about 210 and that's too high. My EKG was fine. Not a lost cause, yet.

I think the idea of a support group is a good one. I will look into it.

A 'diet' is not something that I do too well on, although in the past I have had it work (I lost over 30 pounds once dieting, but I was coaching high school baseball and working out at that time). A 'program' administered by a doctor with regular checkups maybe I can do. I hope so. I am going to try.

If everyone who is trying to lose weight wants to update us on progress here I'd appreciate it.

Mickey Lake

bobbys
01-01-2010, 04:27 PM
How about just a lil nudge?

http://www.chocolaterewards.com/img/chocolate-chip-cookie_01.jpg

Come on it's just one lil cookie!:D And your such a big strong carpenter , what can it hurt? You'll "work it off" tomorrow. ;).

OK i took one bite just to get you off my back but as soon as my skinny son comes over hes getting the bag of cookies.

He and the crab crew will work it off in ten minutes.

Lew Barrett
01-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Let's keep doing this together, Mick. You can do it, so can I. The last third of out lives should be focused on our health, especially if the first 2/3s weren't! What else important do we have to do for those we love?

Paul Girouard
01-01-2010, 04:48 PM
What else important do we have to do for those we love?

Huge life insurance policies?

huisjen
01-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Hey! The BBC has some helpful hints:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4703166.stm

Dan

Lew Barrett
01-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Huge life insurance policies?

Sure, but probably cheaper and better to live well. I say that wishing I did a better job of it Paul, and fully intending to now that time is no longer an excuse for me.

Paul Girouard
01-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Sure, but probably cheaper and better to live well.

Depends on the individual's prespective.

and fully intending to now that time is no longer an excuse for me.

Humm time, theres yet another wise crack answer in there but I'll leave it for Lefty or one of his irk , that can get away with them ( wise cracks) way better than I can.:D

Live long and prosper Lew!:)

Have a cookie , there low fat;) And I'm sure bobbys won't mind.

Lew Barrett
01-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Now's the time when you're half worn down to the eraser and all your tendons and joints are screwed from a life of heavy lifting, that you really need your health. You make it past 60 or so and you're a survivor; they gave you basically good equipment. Past that it's how you treat it. You know the line, John: "if I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!"

PeterSibley
01-01-2010, 05:43 PM
For those interested in running (I love it, but at my size my knees ...) lots of people have found success with the Couch to 5 K (http://www.c25k.com/) (c25k) program; it's been extended to a 5k to marathon plan, too, if you're already doing 5ks. It's as important in these plans to do the "time off" as it is to do the "time exercising"; it gives your body time to build new muscle, etc. If you do this while also trying to lose weight, there's a danger of losing too much muscle tissue, so error on the side of consuming too much protein.

One cookie? To paraphrase Baba Ram Das, "There is the first bite of the cookie, umm, crunchie and sweet. There is the middle bite of the cookie, the way it swirls around your mouth (he was talking about a dish of ice cream, not a cookie), and then there's the last bite, all gone. All you need is three bites, if you pay attention."

Beware running , knees are delicate things .Swimming , riding and walking .I'm a long way from a decent pool so it's riding and walking for me .

Shang
01-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Good point.
But not to derail the thread at hand let's start another thread, "Eat to live, live to eat."
I'll go launch it now... it'll be a wowser since I'll open a vegetarian argument to get the ball rolling.

...Or then again perhaps I won't. I did write some thoughts on the subject, but no sign that I got around to posting it.
No matter, let it go for now.
The original thread is bringing up lots of interesting comments, so its probably better not to dilute it.

George Ray
01-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Seems like you have pushed off from the dock and trimmed your sails. At least for me, that is the hardest part .... congratulations and I wish you and everyone fair winds and tides and failing that, a lead line, good ground tackle and a tow when we really need it.
Best Wishes!

LeeG
01-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey Mickey, I went to the doc and am now on blood pressure medicine. I figure once I kick this killer cold and start riding again I can do it without popping a blood vessel.

Mrleft8
01-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Because one must be responsible to the environment, and the world community. You should only eat what you need to survive, and not kill just for self gratification....:rolleyes:

Paul Girouard
01-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Because one must be responsible to the environment, and the world community. You should only eat what you need to survive, and not kill just for self gratification....

What about all that beer and rich crap you hawk it your big parties? Another case of do as I say not as I do liberal demands!

Lefty the Monk HAAHAHAHHAAA!!!!

God you guys (and gals) crack me up. :D

Mrleft8
01-01-2010, 06:58 PM
:rolleyes:
What about all that beer and rich crap you hawk it your big parties? Another case of do as I say not as I do liberal demands!

Lefty the Monk HAAHAHAHHAAA!!!!

God you guys (and gals) crack me up. :DPlease note the "Rolleyes" regarding ELF's comment..... :rolleyes: And regarding your comment regarding my comment on ELF's comment....

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Paul Girouard
01-01-2010, 07:04 PM
:rolleyes:Please note the "Rolleyes" regarding ELF's comment..... :rolleyes: And regarding your comment regarding my comment on ELF's comment....

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ohh , sarcasm via smilies. :o

Pardon me, carry on with your "evil Rush Limbaugh" food swilling ,consumer driven ways.

Dave Thibodeau
01-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Best of luck, it probably is a life saving effort on your part

Shang
01-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Because one must be responsible to the environment, and the world community. You should only eat what you need to survive, and not kill just for self gratification....:rolleyes:

Well said, Mrlt8e...

PeterSibley
01-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Yep ,I can live with that .I weigh 157# ,when I was 35 I weighed 151# .

huisjen
01-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Okay everybody, how's it going?

Dan

seanz
01-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Not bad, got rid of that Christmas kilo.

htom
01-02-2010, 05:10 PM
306.2 this morning. Must have been all of those Christmas and New Year's goodies. It couldn't have been the chocolate cake I made last night, I didn't have any until this afternoon! There's going to be a problem, I now recognize (well, there are lots of problems that I already knew about, this one is newly discovered): home-made baking treats have calories when eaten by the cook! :( Actually I already knew that, it's just that baking is something I dearly love doing.

Paul Pless
01-02-2010, 05:14 PM

DanI'm doing awesome... I've lost 5 pounds since the holidays began. Unfortunately, my weight loss might well be attributable to a mis-calibration of the scale I normally use in Michigan and the one I've been using for the last couple of weeks in Alabama.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I've found that a large dose of "stress" really helps me lose weight.
I've lost 20 pounds over the Christmas holidays believe it or not.
I'd rather be fat.
Best of luck Micky!

bamamick
01-03-2010, 08:56 AM
So far so good. I am not hungry and the food I am eating tastes pretty good. I worked in the yard yesterday for three or four hours spreading mulch and gravel, doing odds and ends, cleaned out the toolbox on my truck. Felt good. I have been far too lazy lately. Went down and re-set the covers on the boats and dried them out.

Went to see 'Avatar' with my oldest daughter yesterday. An interesting movie.

I will say that I look forward to my apple at 10am more than I ever thought I would, and my Lean Cuisine at 6pm is the highlight of my food day, but so far this has been easy to do (lol. Yeah, all three days of it). Going back to work tomorrow will make things a little harder as I have to carry all of this pre-packaged stuff with me as well as a jug of no fat milk, but I have a refrigerator and it won't be that big a deal. I just have to bring it all home on the weekend unless I buy enough for both places (probably what I'll do).

We don't have a scales here but I will have to do that soon. I am not sure I want to worry about scales, honestly. If I follow the program I will lose weight.

Mickey Lake

McMike
01-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Tomorrow will be my starting point.

I'm at 205#, I want to get down to 165#. I'm 5' 10". 40# to loose, I should be able to do it in 30 weeks.

We're buying a treadmill within the next week. For me I think its portion control and exercise, mostly exercise.

The hardest part is tracking what I eat. I’ve used fitday.com and it’s great but it’s time consuming to enter in the info.

huisjen
01-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I did just over 3 miles again today on the treadmill, staring at the wall. Actually, it would be better if I stared at the wall, rather than the display console. It'd be better for my neck, I'm sure. In the last three days I've finished The Hobbit and Three Men in a Boat. I might do The Fellowship of the Ring next.

Maybe I should go XC skiing today too.

Dan

Canoez
01-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I did just over 3 miles again today on the treadmill, staring at the wall. Actually, it would be better if I stared at the wall, rather than the display console. It'd be better for my neck, I'm sure. In the last three days I've finished The Hobbit and Three Men in a Boat. I might do The Fellowship of the Ring next.

Maybe I should go XC skiing today too.

Dan

Are you gonna be able to see to go XC skiing today?

htom
01-03-2010, 02:04 PM
No change. I need more exercise. One of the great things about visiting Phoenix AZ was getting up at 5 am and heading out for a four mile walk on flat ground. Here it's hilly beyond belief; down hill down the driveway, then flat for a sixteenth of a mile, and then it's up and down on ice for miles in every direction. Temperature is -6F, too, which isn't nearly as nice as the "frigid mornings" there of 50F.

peter radclyffe
01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
keep sculling & rowing

Tristan
01-03-2010, 06:10 PM

Micky, Great that you went to the Dr. but this is NOT realistic. The best way for you to deal with the weight problem is to join WEIGHT WATCHERS, attend meetings regularly, (they monitor your weight, give you a healthy diet to follow) and gradually wean you onto a healthy lifestyle. I'm sorry, but the 1,000 calorie a day recommendation is bull sh-t! a sure recipe for failure. I say this from having (30 years ago) done a good deal of research into weight loss/control for a PhD in clinical psychology and having family members use Weight Watchers effectively. A strict diet is not the answer, a life style change including changing the foods you eat, exercise, long term moniotring. social support, etc. is the answer.

seanz
01-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Well, yeah, but........it sounds like Mickey needs to lose some weight fast...the rest he can lose slow. Weightwatchers is good and works well for some but getting 10-20 pounds off fast is a real boost for people that need to "lose weight or else".

Here's a dietary lifestyle question for the nice Mr Lake (see how I'm approaching him in a non-threatening manner? Dieters can be unpredictable and aggressive ;) ).....Mickey, in the past, was it normal practice for you to eat a large evening meal after a long stressful day at work?
I noticed a pattern when I was doing long hours, come home, eat copious amounts of comfort food and then crash out.
It's sort of a specially tailored weight-gain diet.
:(

PeterSibley
01-03-2010, 06:53 PM
No change. I need more exercise. One of the great things about visiting Phoenix AZ was getting up at 5 am and heading out for a four mile walk on flat ground. Here it's hilly beyond belief; down hill down the driveway, then flat for a sixteenth of a mile, and then it's up and down on ice for miles in every direction. Temperature is -6F, too, which isn't nearly as nice as the "frigid mornings" there of 50F.

The -6 I can do without !!:eek:but the landscape sounds good for a bit of exercise .Flat ground is too easy ,you can bikenalong at 15mph without raising a sweat ...no use at all .Hills are you friends , though you won't think so at the time .

I also agree with Tristan , gently ,gently .

Concordia...41
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM

-6F :eek: Yeah, that would be like a giant huge turnoff for me :eek:

The hilly terrain sounds good though when it defrosts (a LOT) :D

But it's funny how different places spark different things. To-wit:

I am not a runner by any stretch of the imagination. The idea of a 5k has crossed my mind a couple of times, but generally I look at the route and think - "here" to "here" - "down the bayfront" to "there". NOT!

But last fall I took my mother to Nebraska to see her sisters and - to avoid the excruciatingly lengthy length of time it takes her to get organized and moving (and to spare her from my thinly veiled attempts to not look impatient) I packed a pair of running shoes and gear in my bag. The idea being that I'd say I was going for a run and give her an hour or so of personal space to do her thing.

The first morning I took off out of the hotel, did some exploratory circles around the assorted hotels along the frontage road and then headed north up Hwy 77 out of Beatrice.

It was (to me at least) a beautiful cool morning - clean (well except for the stretch by the stockyard :eek:) air and it just felt good. I'd jog for a bit then power walk when I needed to catch my breath. I turned around more because I knew I needed to get back, and not because I was tired.

When I got in the car and drove the route later - 4.1 miles. Never in a million years would I do that here. :confused: Gym, treadmill, bike but I don't care to even walk much here.

Go figure.

Maybe the lesson is to try different things different places. :)

Paul Pless
01-03-2010, 07:55 PM
When I got in the car and drove the route later - 4.1 miles. Never in a million years would I do that here.Not even a walk or run on the beach? Surely there's a nice long public beach in St. Augustine?

John of Phoenix
01-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Did seven miles of desert hiking twice last week- some pretty steep hills got me badly winded.

The Nutrisystem box gets here today (a month's worth of food) and I just downloaded the Spark Book to the Kindle. That Spark system is very interesting. http://www.sparkpeople.com Not NEARLY as much fun as the Bilge but they're nice folks. :)

Down two pounds so far, that's already 7% of my goal. Only 28# more to go. <groan> Treadmill MWF nights for three miles ought to help though.

Thanks for the motivation Mickey.

LeeG
01-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Dan

still coughing up chuds, I'll tell you about my bp after I get it checked. My head isn't pounding every time I cough so that's good.

huisjen
01-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Chuds? Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers? Oh my... You really shouldn't have been breathing them.

Dan

bobbys
01-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I went to the store and passed on all the cookies and cupcakes for fresh greens and fruit and chicken.

Tonight 4 bean dish.

Had one cookie so far and felt the guilt

StevenBauer
01-04-2010, 05:47 PM

Dan

Got the Christmas treadmill all set up. Every other day to start. It has a built in speaker system where you can plug in your ipod. :)

Steven

rbgarr
01-04-2010, 07:12 PM
I went to a stretching/calisthenics class at the Y today and it was nice. They had those big inflated balls to balance on and exercise with. It felt like I was in The Prisoner, dealing with the Rover.

http://i48.tinypic.com/33fez68.jpg

PeterSibley
01-04-2010, 07:39 PM
My friend Patrick ...I loved that show !

B_B
01-04-2010, 08:30 PM
I can vouch for that, from personal experience. When I lived on a boat I refused to buy meat for the simple reason I didn't trust it to stay safe in the ice box (not refrig---ice box). I had been approaching 200 but after about 3 months without meat I was an almost trim 180. I could (and probably should) return to a vegetarian diet in a heart beat.

Best of luck however you do it.

I once volunteered for an organization where most of the volunteers and employees were vegetarian - they were all overweight or obese (and, no, it wasn't Fat Vegetarians Help Line :D;) ). Being fat has everything to do with calories consumed and calories expended (with a very few medical conditions to prove the rule).

It could be that you dropped 20 pounds in three months because you were living a much more active lifestyle...or just eating healthier, and fewer, calories.

That being said, most North Americans (especially me, I love my bacon) consume waaay more meat than our bodies are capable of safely handling. I too am chubby. That's all I'll admit to. Chubby. ;)

essaunders
01-04-2010, 09:02 PM
I wish you the best. I've just lost 25 pounds myself, with 25 more to go. There is a wesite, www.sparkpeople.com, that helped me. It's a good way to log in the calories you consume, plus the calories you normally burn and those burned by additional exercise. It will also give you a support group with thousands of others who are on weight-loss programs. I've lost mine just limiting calories to 1800 per day. Stick with it, even if you have plateaus or minor lapses. You will see results quickly. It's the only time where you can say that losing is winning. Good luck.

What stumpy said. Calories in minus Calories burned must be negative for weight loss. That simple.

Good luck !

Bob Triggs
01-06-2010, 10:56 PM
One day at a time.

seanz
01-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Not bad, got rid of that Christmas kilo.

And there goes one of its mates........:cool:

McMike
01-07-2010, 06:02 PM
I've been down to 1600 +/- calories a day since Monday. Still going strong and feeling fine. I won't weigh myself until Sunday, I only like to do it once a week so I don't drive myself crazy with the daily ups and downs.

How is everyone else doing?

Tristan
01-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Weight fluctuates a lot and watching it every day can often be discouraging. Perhaps a better target would be paying more attention to kinds and amounts of food and exercise. Given a good program the weight will take care of itself.

Dave Wright
01-08-2010, 02:33 PM
My compliments to you all for your determination to lose weight and I encourage you and admire you all for your efforts. I hesitate to comment because I usually keep my weight normal for my height and have done so all of my life. I know, this makes me an ass, but for what it’s worth, here’s what that entails: I use the BMI (Body Mass Index) tables as my reference for “normal” weight, see:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/).

Folks often think that those of us at “normal weight” are just naturally disposed to that condition. Typically that’s not the case; it takes effort. Chocolate tastes just as good to everyone. A 9 inch diameter yellow cake with chocolate frosting provides 3735 calorie to all who eat it. I could eat that whole cake with pleasure and gusto.

The BMI tables can be very discouraging because they indicate “overweight” and “obesity” at what we might consider “reasonable” weights for height when we look around us. I believe most folks might think that achieving the “normal” range is impossible, but we have to keep trying.

I weigh myself everyday. I think that’s necessary, because if I didn’t, I wouldn’t be able to catch gain trends before they became difficult to manage. When I hit mid 50’s age, I found that I could keep my BMI in the normal range until Thansgiving. Then I would start creeping over the limit for “normal” (normal BMI = 24.9 maximum). I resolved to take action whenever this occurred, and I resolved to take very serious action if I was ever 10 pounds over my normal BMI.

I think this is the only way to handle the situation. Once things get out of hand recovery becomes exceptionally difficult. I hit 10 pounds over normal again this fall and held that level until a couple of weeks ago because I didn’t take my usual immediate action. It would have been very easy to hit 25 pounds over normal, but fortunately I maintained only the 10 pounds over with mediocre attention to food intake.

Serious action for me is to drastically restrict calories while exercising hard. For example, I’ve skied all day while only consuming one banana and two oranges and two or three quarts of water. Then I consumed 500 to 600 calories the second day while doing the same exercise. I religiously count those calories. The advantage to this action, at least for me, is that I see an immediate drop of at least 2 or 3 pounds on the scale. If I don’t see immediate results I tend to become discouraged.

Discouragement only leads to more food consumption and weight gain. Health issues might limit some folks from reducing their food intake to these low levels for a couple of days. I tend to feel in an anecdotal sort of way that going with minimal food for a couple of days has been pretty much normal for humans for most of the past 200,000 years so I do it. But I’m willing to accept medical views that this action might be undesirable.

I took serious action over a week ago and just I kissed a normal BMI today, but I’m only consuming 1000 calories a day while walking and biking. I always walk and bike no matter what the weather, but my food consumption had become excessive. I’ll maintain 1000 calories per day for the next week or so, then gradually increase to an average of 2000 calories per day for as long as my weight remains with normal. With discipline I’ll be at “normal” until next fall when my gluttony during the holidays will likely put me over normal again.

Eating is exceptionally pleasurable for everyone but it’s possible to manage that pleasure. Best wishes to all.

htom
01-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Using the mentioned charting software (or a pencil and paper) generates "smoothed" curves that show loss (and gain) and how the trend is going. Ummm, frames, how do I do this? ahh. Weight Monitor (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/weightmonitor.html)

huisjen
01-08-2010, 07:26 PM
http://www.physicsdiet.com/Chart.ashx?t=WeightLoss&s=2009-12-09&e=2010-01-08&u=huisjen

So far, So good.

Dan

shamus
01-08-2010, 11:45 PM
OK you nagged me into it. I'm signing on to lose 18 kgs = 39.6 lbs.
So far I've created a profile at PhysicsDiet and pumped the tires up on the bike. That should do for today.

PeterSibley
01-09-2010, 12:02 AM
18 kg !! Shamus , are you that over ? That's a lot !

seanz
01-09-2010, 12:15 AM
:eek:Peter! Nonononononono!

That's not how you do it......this is how you do it....it's not that much Shamus, you can do it Shamus, you'll feel heaps better Shamus ol' mate......see the difference?

And, ahem.....those numbers look very familiar.
:o;)

PeterSibley
01-09-2010, 12:25 AM
I've seen him ,a slender reed of a lad ! Not a tad over ,it's all a terrible mistake .:cool:

shamus
01-09-2010, 01:52 AM
All that talk about bikes the other night got me thinking. Weighed myself- 94.4 kgs. Officially obese. Just finished my old 10k gravel road hilly ride, deliberately very slowly- 20 minutes outside my old usual time. Fell off too. Heart rate monitor says I burnt 1069 calories, 35% from fat.

PeterSibley
01-09-2010, 03:00 AM
How tall are you Shamus ? I'm 5'7" in the old .71kg as I go into the shower .

BTW ,10km of gravel road is good going .

shamus
01-09-2010, 03:05 AM
About the same I think. I think 76kg will do. I was there once before and it felt all right.:D

PeterSibley
01-09-2010, 03:30 AM
76 kg would be good .I'm lucky I've never got over 72 kg , something to do with slinging lumps of wood around all my life .

Good Luck ...keep me posted !:)

bamamick
01-09-2010, 09:29 AM
I am still here. I cheated once this week and had a piece of cheese. Sometimes I just get this overwhelming desire to pick up something and just eat it, but most of the time I stay busy and it's not even a worry.

Still with it.

Mickey Lake

huisjen
01-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I've had cheese. I've had pancakes with syrup. I've had plenty of time on the treadmill. I've done some sit-ups. I'm losing weight.

Dan

huisjen
01-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Today I had a feeling I haven't had in years. I remember having it once while throwing up on the sidewalk outside Barton Hall, while the Gunny looked at me and nodded unsympathetically. "Too much P.T. in the stomach" was his comment at the time.

I didn't throw up today though. I just caught a tiny hint of that feeling. And I ran 3 miles about as fast as I did when running the Physical Fitness Test as a freshman, before they changed it to a 1.5 mile run: 34:40. When I started this a few weeks ago, my 3 mile time was about 54 minutes.

http://www.physicsdiet.com/Chart.ashx?t=WeightLoss&s=2009-12-21&e=2010-01-20&u=huisjen

Dan

bamamick
01-20-2010, 07:21 PM
I wasn't going to weigh until I went back to the doctor next week, but I was walking by one of the drumming scales at work two days ago and stepped onto it wearing my full rig and hard hat, radio, etc. I weighed 283, down 8 pounds from Jan. 1st, and that was with me wearing my skivvies. I have probably lost about 12 pounds so far if I had to guess. Only 48 more pounds and a whole lifetime to change the way I live to go.

Mickey Lake

huisjen
01-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Well done Mickey.

Dan

Paul Pless
01-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Good Job Mickey!

The Bigfella
01-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Good work Mickey.

Tom Montgomery
01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Great, Mickey!

You can do it.

cs
01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Good for you Mickey. I wish you the best.

On a side note. I've lost a little over 5 lbs in the last month, but I don't recomened my method.

Chad

Paul G.
01-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Hey Mickey ya fat bastard step one is to laugh a bit! I am sure you will lose the weight but to make it permanent you have to have a good look at your habits and what they do for you. Getting fat is the result of a positive action likewise with getting thin.

I dont believe in God or prayers so G'Luck!!

Concordia...41
01-21-2010, 05:04 AM
Good going guys! Keep up the hard work!

- M

PeterSibley
01-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Impressive Mickey ..well done .

shamus
01-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Well done Mickey, and thanks for starting me off. I'm down a couple of kilos and feeling better for it, apart from an infected leg I've had in the air all week. What I'd like to do is lose 100g a day, but I find this hard to achieve. I tend to take a chunk down and stabilise a few days. I've been keeping an eye on Dan's graph at Physicsdiet. It's like peeping through windows- I feel sly.

PeterSibley
01-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Shamus , are you planning on getting back on the bike ?

ishmael
01-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Golly, 291. How tall are you?

I pictured you as a lithe little deck monkey, from your sailing stories.

While I've never had a problem with food and weight, I certainly have had with other addictions. It sounds like you've got a plan mapped out. An underrated exercise is walking. When you go to the grocery don't look for the closest parking spot, look for the one farthest away.

Finding other people in the same boat is also excellent advice.

Before and after pics would be good. I've always enjoyed your posts Micky. Good on you for taking this step to improve your life.

Jack

shamus
01-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Shamus , are you planning on getting back on the bike ?

Yeah, as soon as I have two legs again:D

PeterSibley
01-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Down 7 and a half pounds since the start of the year. Two very lo-cal days (700-800 Cal, mostly veg with no more than 4 oz of a protein) followed by a "normal" day, ca. 2200 Cal. The idea is to reduce the calorie load as much as possible without your body starting to think it's starving.

The 20-40 miles a day I ride the bike is a big part of it, too, especially since it's cold. I'm burning more calories than I would in July, just to stay warm.

I.

I can't see how you got overweight riding 20 to 40 miles a day Capt , you must really like your tucker !:D

bobbys
01-21-2010, 07:18 PM
So far we have been cutting out ALL treats Im buying veggies and fruit , Not concerned about the amount of calories yet just trying to be Healthy.

We both feel a lot better already.

Walk every day cannot run as my knees s are shot.

Oatmeal in the morn helps Now that there is organic sections at the store i can eat fruit and Bananas, I used to break out in Allergy attacks from the spray put on .

Apples were the worst.

PeterSibley
01-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah, as soon as I have two legs again:D

OK ..wot happened ?:rolleyes:

PeterSibley
01-21-2010, 07:41 PM
We both are fella ...if we keep doing what we're doing we may even be able to ride a bike .

A local 84 year old just went on a 1000 mile charity ride ,70 mile days .:D
I'd like to be able to do that ,especially when I'm 84 .:D

Concordia...41
01-21-2010, 07:56 PM
We both are fella ...if we keep doing what we're doing we may even be able to ride a bike .

A local 84 year old just went on a 1000 mile charity ride ,70 mile days .:D
I'd like to be able to do that ,especially when I'm 84 .:D

Heck, I'd be happy to do that at 83 :D

bamamick
01-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Jack, as Harry Miller can most certainly attest, I am no lithe deck monkey, though I thank you for the chuckle that came with the mental picture. Back in my IOR sailing days my job was being the grinder captain and calling the gear changes on two, two-man pedestals. Anyone who goes forward of the mast on anything larger than a pram is nuts in my opinion.

I am 6'1" and can carry 230 pounds on my frame easily. That's the weight I sailed Stars at for over 20 years and I feel comfortable there. As a matter of fact I am looking forward to dusting off the Star boat in a couple of weeks and taking her for a spin.

Mickey Lake

Harry Miller
01-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Mickey you're poetry in motion.:cool:

seanz
01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Just over 3 kilos gone.......the crash part didn't last very long, nevermind..
Now it's the long slow part.......only lost about a pound last week.
Onwards and downwards!

Soundbounder
01-22-2010, 05:19 PM
I am still here. I cheated once this week and had a piece of cheese. Sometimes I just get this overwhelming desire to pick up something and just eat it, but most of the time I stay busy and it's not even a worry.

Still with it.

Mickey LakeGood job! One lapse isn't bad.
You can do it!!!!

;)

Tracey
01-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Mickey! I had no idea about this thread!
All the best to you- it's awfully hard to start dieting in winter- all those cold days when it's such a comfort to eat something hot. But I'm sure you'll get through it, and without a trip to the cath lab!

Best regards, Tracey

andrewe
01-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Julia Childs said " Small portions, no seconds and no snacking between meals." Sounds right. Esp the snacking.
A

Bob Triggs
01-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I too am feeling the stress of having gained way too much weight over the past ten years. After reading the testimonials to weight loss and fitnness programs here I have recently embarked on a journey to regain my former vigor and youthful countenance:

I intend to get back to my original wieght of 7 pounds 10 ounces.

Salty Sailor
01-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Just some ideas for when you come off the diet...

I found you need some nice food in your diet or you will let things slip...

I eat anything I like before 4pm but I do monitor the quantity. This system works for me as I still get to treat myself.
If I am out at a cafe, I order a small portion regardless of how hungry I am and if I still feel hungry after I will sometimes buy somthing small to finish. Its better than ordering too much as you will find you do your best to polish it off regardless if your no longer hungry.

After 4pm I eat a normal size meal but I work hard at cutting out Fats, Carbs and sugar. Pasta has a massive calorie count but as a substitue I have found some asian noodles are 1/4 the calorie count.

The science behind it has something to do with your sleep period after dinner. This is the time when you body will store the most excess calories.

Good luck and in trying times go clean the boat or go visit the marina for some distractions..

PeterSibley
01-23-2010, 05:48 PM
May I suggest getting the flu ? I haven't eaten more than 1500 calories over the last 3 days and I'm not hungry :(.

katey
01-23-2010, 06:38 PM
May I suggest getting the flu ? I haven't eaten more than 1500 calories over the last 3 days and I'm not hungry :(.

I tried that. The problem is the three weeks after the worst of it is over, but you still don't feel like moving much. I gained 5 pounds.

LongIslandBoy
01-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Good luck to you, Mickey. The same discipline you drew upon as a winch grinder will serve you well in this undertaking, I'm sure of it. BTW, is Magnolia Springs near Daphne/ Fair Hope? SWMBO and I were down there Thanksgiving and had a terriffic time. Lovely area. Good luck again!

bamamick
01-23-2010, 07:52 PM
We live about 8 miles from Fairhope and are actually halfway between Fairhope and Foley on County Rd. 9. Magnolia Springs is where our P.O. box is located and it's the closest town at about five miles away, but our 'legal' address for the EMS system is for Summerdale, which is also 8 miles away! Basically, we live in the middle of everywhere, in the middle of nowhere :).

It is a very nice place, I agree. Lived here all of my life.

If you ever come back let us know.

Mickey Lake

bamamick
01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Today was weigh-in day. 275 pounds, down 16 pounds from January 1st. Nothing else to report. The doctor was pleased and I will just keep doing what I am doing for the next four weeks.

Mickey Lake

PeterSibley
01-27-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm continuing to recommend the flu :D:D, I've lost 5 pound in 4 days ,feel weak and hopeless but not hungry !

Good progress Mickey ,fall in love with the new shape and the new foods .

seanz
01-27-2010, 07:59 PM
16!?!.....over twice what I lost.
Well done.

I've abandoned the hard and fast route and am on the slow and steady course.....no junkfood (buscuits are junkfood) no sweets, no alcohol, no seconds, no prisoners, no surrender!.
I'll probably drop half a kilo (@ 1 pound) this week.
At this rate I'll be at my goal weight by (our) Spring.......mmmm, frisky.

Concordia...41
01-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Today was weigh-in day. 275 pounds, down 16 pounds from January 1st. Nothing else to report. The doctor was pleased and I will just keep doing what I am doing for the next four weeks.

Mickey Lake

Your doctor put you on that restricted calorie diet for a reason and you're seeing great results. If you keep it up though you'll weigh like 46 pounds in another 12 months. Absolutely keep with what's working, but when the dramatic results ebb remember that unlike what you're used to on the water, "slow and steady wins the [diet] race"

Cheers!

- M

Noah
01-27-2010, 11:45 PM
No problem, you can do it. Set hard goals for physical activity and you will be able to make the weight. When I was 220, I bet my buddy I could run a 2:30 half mile in 3 months. I college I could run it in 1:54...It took a lot of pain, but 3 months later I was 184 and running fast.

In my experience it can't be about the eating. That will drive you nuts. Once you are working out, your diet will self correct.

BTW, I just got a Concept 2 rowing machine, and I'm loving it. It kicks my ass, but it works both cardio and muscles, so I'm way into it.