PDA

View Full Version : New Year's eve Party

David W Pratt
12-31-2009, 12:02 PM
We always have a NYEP because it is our anniversary (# 37, for those of you keeping score) and we enjoy entertaining. I made a smoked turkey breast, the Admiral made a zillion little, bite sized quiches, we'll have cold boiled shrimp and Smithfield ham and cheddar on crackers. And what ever other people bring. Brunch at the yacht club tomorrow. It is snowing now so prolly no blue moon viewing. (Where but English can you find three words with the same sound, spelled three different ways?)
Happy New Year All!

David G
12-31-2009, 03:03 PM
It'll be an early evening for us. I have to step lively tomorrow for a Coots event. We start each year by cleansing the world of boats beyond help, or of our own misbegotten boatbuilding experiments, etc. One of the fellas has some acreage outside of town we call the Boat Museum. It serves as a storage facility for a variety of "in process" projects. Long about noon tomorrow, diesel will be sprinkled, torches will be lit, pistols will be loaded, words of farewell will be said, toasts will be drunk, and we will consign the dead-end dinghys and such to a fiery end. Thus will we cleanse the waterways, sheds and yards of hopeless hulks - in preparation for a new year of restoration and new construction.

Flying Orca
12-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Early for me too - I was up at 4:30 to drive my brother to the airport, so by the time I get home from work I'm going to be too pooped to pop (champagne, that is).

Joe (SoCal)
12-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Alone again for New Years :(

David G
12-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Alone again for New Years :(

You're never alone Joe. You always have... your favorite Suthrun brickmason :p

Joe (SoCal)
12-31-2009, 03:37 PM
You're never alone Joe. You always have... your favorite Suthrun brickmason :p

OK that just made me laugh out loud :D- I needed that I was starting to feel sorry for myself

John of Phoenix
12-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Sunny and 62* here.

I'm staying up to see this year the hell outta here and welcome in a

Happy New Decade

Bill R
12-31-2009, 05:41 PM
After having worked NYE's for too many years doing broadcasts, I just don't care any more. I've been up since 0200 with a cranky furnace and I am beat. I also have to get up early to plow in the morning. I'm headed to bed soon.

Have a good NYE everyone and please be safe.

paladin
12-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Was up at 4 a.m. to go to clinic, then to heart doc, got home about 3-4 whatever, and crashed...made an pmelette for dinner, fed critters, gonna sleep thru the New Years thing....youse guys take it easy....dunno drink and drive, accidents cause people.

David G
01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Turned out my wife postponed her departure a day, and I stayed up till 2:30. But, still made it to the BoatBurning. No pistols were fired. Just a shotgun. Six boats went on the pyre. Here are some fotos:

http://www.facebook.com/#/photo.php?pid=945789&id=1409973692&fbid=1320246732141

David G
01-02-2010, 11:18 PM
And... for those who are interested in the cleansing ritual of the annual Jan. 1 BoatBurning - a longer foto-essay. Greg - being the only firefighter/EMT - is the self-appointed Ringleader. The rest of us just kibbitz and remind him of any safety measures he might have overlooked:

http://andrewlinn.com/100101_burn/boatburning10_start.htm

John of Phoenix
01-03-2010, 01:20 PM
http://andrewlinn.com/100101_burn/08slow.jpg

Quite a story. Well done. :)

Willin'
01-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Congrats on 37 years of wedded bliss! We just attended a friend's 90th birthday party in Saunderstown last week and enjoyed breakfast and a brisk, windy walk around your charming village the next morning while the womenfolk were shopping. Lovely spot you have there, although I suspect traffic may be problematic in the summer.

Lovely, just lovely place.