PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Eve wishes and some questions

John Smith
12-31-2009, 11:23 AM
First I hope everyone enjoys however the celebrate tonight and stays safe.

My question is why is the changing of the year such a cause for celebration. So many people over eat, over drink, and many have problems getting home.

We don't go out any more. Everyone still seems to feel compelled to stay up to midnight to watch the ball come down.

I just don't get the root cause for all the celebration. Is it just that people need an excuse and this seems a good one?

Peerie Maa
12-31-2009, 11:33 AM
It's probably another hang over from the pagan winter celebration of lengthening days. There will have been calendar drift because of those pesky leap years that have caused the disconnect from the actual solstice.

Tristan
01-02-2010, 11:26 AM
At the winter solstice Fenrir the Wolf begins to cough up the sun. The lengthening of the day gave hope to our ancestors that the long winter of deprivation and starvation would come to an end. Today we have a bit more control over food supplies and keeping warm. We are killing ourselves all year long in other ways, so at the New Year we make resolutions to exercise, eat right, quit drinking and smoking, and otherwise begin the new year with the hope of survival.