PDA

View Full Version : One for the critters.

goodbasil
12-31-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm not a fan of the Liberal provincial goverment of this province but I must give them the thumbs up for two laws which will come into effect on Jan.1/10.
First, it will be illegal to sell anti-freeze/coolant that is not treated with something that makes it unappetizing to animals. Thousands of critters die each year from poisoning.
Anyone else have this law?

Second, you can't drive when using a handheld cellphone or while your texing.

botebum
12-31-2009, 06:35 AM
It's too bad that it takes a law for the industry to put something in the antifreeze. They should have done it voluntarily years ago.
The cell phone/texting law is already in place in many places. Also a good idea.

Doug

bob winter
12-31-2009, 06:38 AM
The cellphone thing is law in Ontario although it is not being enforced yet. Giving the idiots a grace period to get adjusted, I guess.

The antifreeze law sounds like a great idea. Have no knowledge of the law in Ontario, or anywhere else, on this but it makes sense. I had a friend a few years ago who lost a pet to anti-freeze.

Three Cedars
12-31-2009, 08:20 PM
I hope it still will give my hooch a kick ;) Oy !

paladin
12-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Now if they'd only put it in aircraft de-icing fluid it would solve a lot of problems....

Tom Galyen
12-31-2009, 11:13 PM
In Illinois they chickened out on the cell phone use law, but it will be illegal to text while driving.

I believe most anti-freeze available in the US is doctored to prevent animals from eating it.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-01-2010, 04:31 AM
In the UK it is an offence to operate a Hand Held Cellphone whilst driving.

A law honoured more in the breach...

skuthorp
01-01-2010, 04:49 AM
Hand held and driving Illegal here too, but a great sorce of revenue for the govt. Of course it doesn't apply to the police themselves.

Concordia...41
01-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Well, obviously the folks that text while they drive don't have to dig through their purse to find their reading glasses.... :o

BTW most people (OK the 4 people) that have texted me get a phone call saying "don't text me, it takes me five minutes to find my glasses and another 10 to respond..."

Definately not something (even if you don't need reading glasses) to do while driving... :eek:

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Comment from a Brit woman, on meeting her first iPhone:

That's completely useless - I can't feel the buttons, how can I possible text on that while driving?

Yeah, really.

mmd
01-02-2010, 10:56 AM
NS has a no-handheld-cellphone-while-driving law. Last year I heard a wonderful story about it. A fellow from the USA got off The Cat ferry at Yarmouth (there are warnings on the literature distributed aboard, signs aboard, signs in the disembarking area, and signs in the Customs clearing booths) and proceeded up the road from the terminal, chatting away on his cellphone. The RCMP stopped him, ironically, right under the large billboard that warns about the no-handheld law. When asked by the officer why he was choosing to ignore the law when it was so obviously indicated (pointing to the sign beside them), the American protested that he should not be charged because he was calling his friends behind him on the ferry to tell them not to use their cellphones while driving!