PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart Brand Wine

Tom Hoffman
12-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Wal-Mart Brand Wine

Wal-Mart announced that, sometime in 2010, it will begin offering customers a new discount item .... Wal-Mart's own brand of wine.

The world's largest retail chain is rumored to be teaming up with Ernest & Julio Gallo Winery of California to produce the spirits at an affordable price-- in the $2 to $5 range.

Wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to put a bottle of the Wal-Mart brand nto their shopping carts, but "There is a market for inexpensive wine." said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at University of Arkansas , Bentonville.

"However, branding will be very important." Customer surveys were conducted to determine the most attractive name for the Wal-Mart wine brand.

The top surveyed names in order of popularity were:

1. Chateau du Traileur Parc
2. White Trashfindel
3. Big Red Gulp
4. World Championship Riesling
5. NAS-CARbernet
6. Chef Boyardeaux
7. Peanut Noir
8. Ah Kain't Believe it's not Vinegar
9. Grape Expectations
10. Nasti Spumante

The beauty of Wal-Mart wine is that it can be served with either white meat (Possum) or red meat (Squirrel).:p

Phillip Allen
12-29-2009, 04:40 PM
funny :)

Captain Blight
12-29-2009, 04:53 PM
"World Championship Riesling." Okay, that has t3h phunny.

Nicholas Carey
12-29-2009, 05:14 PM
It'll make Trader Joe's "Two-Buck Chuck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shaw_wine)" (actually $1.99$3.49, depending on the local excise) seem classy :rolleyes:

Concordia...41
12-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Possum is considered white meat :confused: Since when? :D

And besides that, it's not which meat to match the wine to, it's the mac-n-cheese :D

Hint: Mad Dog 20/20 goes with anything ;)

hokiefan
12-29-2009, 05:42 PM

And besides that, it's not which meat to match the wine to, it's the mac-n-cheese :D

Mad Dog 20/20 was a potion I never tried. After listening to some friends describe (very graphically) their experience with the stuff I had no desire to put down my beer and try THAT!!!:eek: No thanks, I could overindulge perfectly well with my beer mind you. Now, I've got some stories to tell about Jack in the Black and a night I was late for the party and had to "catch up", oh never mind...

I still laugh at Bill when I see a bottle of MD 20/20 on the shelf. Can't help it.

Cheers,

Bobby

Bobby of Tulsa
12-29-2009, 05:44 PM

Hint: Mad Dog 20/20 goes with anything ;) I dont mean to contradict you but I think it would be Night train.:)

Harbormaster
12-29-2009, 05:45 PM
They already carry a brand called "Oak Leaf" that was introduced at $2.97 per bottle and a few months ago it jumped up to $3.97. It's not a 40 dollar bottle of wine, but it makes a good table wine in all of its iterations.

I'm drinking it now. The Shiraz. Yum.

paladin
12-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes but get a readout of the label....I dunno drink the stuff, but so many things interfere with dialysis I read all labels that have the opportunity to pass thru my tummy.....
40% sugar water, flavorings, ethanol alcohol, water.

I wanted a bit of rum this evening as I have had my limit of oxycodone.........Giant grocery now is selling tangelos as big as the biggest naval oranges......oranges are not on my approved foods list, tangerines are....
I ended up with a quart of fresh squeezed, ice cold tangerine juice....went great with a bit of Ron Zacapa.

Captain Blight
12-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I dont mean to contradict you but I think it would be Night train.:)For years, the local punk-rock live-music venue had Mad Dog as their house Red, and Night Train as the house White.

Concordia...41
12-29-2009, 06:39 PM
For years, the local punk-rock live-music venue had Mad Dog as their house Red, and Night Train as the house White.

Dear heavens you savage :p are you saying you prefer Night Train over Thunderbird????

Egads! What is this world coming to???

jack grebe
12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Dear heavens you savage :p are you saying you prefer Night Train over Thunderbird????

Egads! What is this world coming to???
Thunderbird is soooooooooo retro:rolleyes:

jack grebe
12-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Next you'll be pushing the Boone's Farm:p

hokiefan
12-29-2009, 06:42 PM
For years, the local punk-rock live-music venue had Mad Dog as their house Red, and Night Train as the house White.

Well, the dive country/bluegrass rock house I frequented many years ago had PBR on tap. Those folks didn't drink wine, or at least in public.:D

Cheers,

Bobby

Captain Blight
12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
PBR is enjoying a resurgence in popularity among the bicycle hipsters. Apparently it's now cool to drink lousy beer, go figure.

Stan D
12-29-2009, 06:47 PM
I walked into a Trader Joe's in Sante Fe NM, and saw "Trader Joe's Scotch Whiskey". No S!

hokiefan
12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
PBR is enjoying a resurgence in popularity among the bicycle hipsters. Apparently it's now cool to drink lousy beer, go figure.

I didn't like it then, drank something out of a bottle. It would get you drunk though, which was often the goal if the girl chasing didn't go according to plan.

Then there was happy hour at Cowboy's (complete with the mechanical bull that would bruise your gronicles) that was $1 cover, and $0.25 for a 16 oz draft PBR. $3 and you were set for the night, $4 and someone rolled you home!

Gotta remember, this was back in the ancient days per my kids.:D

Cheers,

Bobby

Concordia...41
12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Next you'll be pushing the Boone's Farm:p

Many years back I was at a car wash in Orlando cleaning out a car before I traded it in. Shoved down in trunk by the spare tire was a vintage bottle of Boone's Farm - Tickled Pink. I almost puked!

OTOH I was in Wal-Mart (yeah I know :o) a while back and they had some flavor of Boone's Farm that was bright freaking blue. :eek:

I thought about it.... ;)

jack grebe
12-29-2009, 06:58 PM
OTOH I was in Wal-Mart

Ohhhhhhhhhhh MARGOOOOOO, say it isn't so:eek:

actually, I have been known to "borrow" things from WM.

I simply leave a deposit at the register, and when I'm done with
it, I return it to the service desk and they give me 100% of my
deposit back......................:D

hokiefan
12-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Many years back I was at a car wash in Orlando cleaning out a car before I traded it in. Shoved down in trunk by the spare tire was a vintage bottle of Boone's Farm - Tickled Pink. I almost puked!

OTOH I was in Wal-Mart (yeah I know :o) a while back and they had some flavor of Boone's Farm that was bright freaking blue. :eek:

I thought about it.... ;)

Ughhhh..... But it would go with a lot of hair styles I see around.:D

Guess I'm a little out of touch these days.

Cheers,

Bobby

Bill R
12-29-2009, 07:16 PM

Living in SW PA and bowhunting with my buddies in PA, W VA and eastern OH, there was ALWAYS a bottle of MD 20/20. Tradition was as soon as you hit camp from a day in the woods you would be required to toss back a shot or 2 if you came back emptyhanded.

David G
12-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Living in SW PA and bowhunting with my buddies in PA, W VA and eastern OH, there was ALWAYS a bottle of MD 20/20. Tradition was as soon as you hit camp from a day in the woods you would be required to toss back a shot or 2 if you came back emptyhanded.

We had a similar routine. With us, though, it was Yukon Jack.

bobbys
12-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Although i would fall under the White trashfindel if i HAD to be labeled i really drink .Manischewitz and i prefer Concord grape but if felling in a rare mood i do Blackberry..

However its a bit sweet and upset my stomach so i just have a wee little nip now and then.

paladin
12-30-2009, 06:13 AM
Most of the hunting trips in Alaska were really booze parties....I wouldn't take anyone if they loaded up a bunch of booze. In a bad weather situation I couldn't lift the idiots into the plane, and with no place to hole up during a storm, anyone with booze in them would probably go to sleep and die. I also had a very low tolerance for charters on the boat that were drunk as a skunk.....made a mess of everything.....I wasn't a good charter captain.

Captain Blight
12-30-2009, 06:31 AM
I blush for shame when I thinnk about some of the trials and tribulations I've caused while under the influence. I totted it up once and I spent about three weeks of my life in jail for getting drunk and fighting. Lost a tooth that way too.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. If you guys think I'm a foul-tempered hothead now, you should have known me when I was half my age. Believe you me, this is a vast, a vast improvement.

Bill R
12-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Let me clarify- the shot or 2 of MD was the ONLY alchohol consumed, and then only after the hunt was done for the day and the weapons were secured.

We had NO tolerance for drunken slobs while in the field.

When we got back to civilization, well... that was another story...

Old Sailor
12-31-2009, 08:05 AM
My daughter ( a Target mgr.) tells me that Target is also selling wine. Just a wee bit higher class eh?
Old Sailor

downthecreek
12-31-2009, 08:38 AM
I walked into a Trader Joe's in Sante Fe NM, and saw "Trader Joe's Scotch Whiskey". No S!

The classic of that particular genre is:

King Victoria's Finest Scotchman's Whisko" :)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-31-2009, 08:55 AM
The classic of that particular genre is:

King Victoria's Finest Scotchman's Whisko" :)

Comme ci?
http://gavin1972.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/buckfast.jpg