PDA

View Full Version : 40' Zeevalk design by Van de Stadt

pumadreas
11-21-2000, 05:16 PM
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
It was a 1954 hard-chine ply construction which aparently had some success due to her fin keel configuration.

Andreas

melke043
11-22-2000, 05:53 AM
we do have information on boats by v d stadt and the same time-bracket ('50's). magazine prints of "zeeslang", "seahorse", and "dogger".

Heckie
11-27-2000, 05:27 AM
Being Dutch (as Van de Stadt) and interested in boat design I must have some info in my files. Van de Stadt was one of the first to design in woodcore (As far as I know) and the Zeevalk (Sea-Falcon) was (one of) the first planing sea-racers. Van de Valk used to work for Bruijnzeel, manufacturer of "hechthout", waterproof multilayer wood. To proof its waterproofness, boats were designed. This all started during WW II. I will come back to you.

Heckie
11-27-2000, 05:28 AM
Being Dutch (as Van de Stadt) and interested in boat design I must have some info in my files. Van de Stadt was one of the first to design in woodcore (As far as I know) and the Zeevalk (Sea-Falcon) was (one of) the first planing sea-racers. Van de Valk used to work for Bruijnzeel, manufacturer of "hechthout", waterproof multilayer wood. To proof its waterproofness, boats were designed. This all started during WW II. I will come back to you.

Heckie
11-28-2000, 05:27 AM
This is an abstract from a Dutch article, published shortly after the death of Ricus van de Stadt (1910-1999).
Van de Stadt founded his boatyard in the 1930’s, but times were bad. He developed a friendship with Kees Bruynzeel, a manufacturer of wooden panels. Bruynzeel had developed a new product: “Hechthout”, a water- and cookproof type of plywood, to be used for doors(!) To proof the quality of this product, they decided to design a boat with it. “If it’s good for boats, it must be good for doors.” This resulted in 1940 in the “Valk” (falcon), a very well-known open sailboat (in Holland..), chined, lenth 6.5 m , 18.6 sqm sail (www.valkenklasse.nl). It was designed under severe restrictions: not more than 3 sheets of plywood, max. 150 hrs work, and to be produced with the at that time available machinery. This boat rapidly became a success. And Bruynzeel got interested in sailing and racing. In 1949 The “Zeevalk” was designed for Bruynzeel. Length 12.50m, waterline 11.00m, displacement 5.5 tonne, sail 52.40 sqm. Inside there was no luxury. But this was to be a racer: the first planing ocean racer in the world.
I do have a drawing that I could scan, let me know if desired.
Eric

pumadreas
11-28-2000, 06:40 AM
Eric,

Thanks a lot for the information! I have a drawing of the boat already, but she seems to be a modified version: Traditional 1950s layout and displacing 9 tonnes. The LOA and LWL are the same, but I do not know about the rig specs.

Cheers,
Andreas

Tanton
12-10-2000, 01:10 PM
Besides the prototype described by Mr. Heckie, the subsequent model of the same name has been modified. The characteristics: Loa 40',Lwl 34.6',B. 10.66',Draft 6.08',Displ. 12768 lbs.
The fast ocean sailing yacht has a rounded hard-chine form. Both hull and decks are 15mm. plywood. In the interior there are 4 berths on the standard layout. More berths however are optional. The Zeevalk has a skeg rudder and a fin keel of cast-iron.

Foster Price
12-11-2000, 03:17 AM
Wasn't the famous boat StormVogel(at least she is out here in this part of the world - as a Sydney-Hobart winner I think) also designed by Mr Van de Stadt

Regards Foster

noquiklos
12-11-2000, 07:36 PM
Certainly rings a bell, but StormVogel was frozen nasal mucous, and starred in the film "Dead Calm," didn't she?
Roy

Smacksman
12-12-2000, 03:43 PM
I thought Stormvogel had South African connections but maybe my brains agoin. I've done a few thousand sea miles in various Van de Staat boats and havn't a bad thing to say about his designs.

Tanton
12-12-2000, 05:14 PM
Stormvogel has been designed by a consortium. Lines plan and general arrangement: E. G. van de Stadt
Construction: J. Laurent Giles.
Sail Plan: Capt. J. H. Illingworth
Builder: Lamtico, Stellenbosch,.South Africa.
Loa. 74.5', Lwl. 59.33',Beam 16 ft.Draft 9.25'.Dispalcement 31.2 tons. Ballast keel 13 tons(lead).Sail area 2,200 sq.ft