PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Feast?

David G
12-27-2009, 01:22 PM
What did everyone have for Christmas meals? Traditional? Adventuresome? Simple? Elaborate?

We ended up having Christmas dinner twice. Both were memorable.

Christmas day, we hosted the usual crew - some of which have been celebrating with us for nearly 40 years. A few of the usual suspects were traveling, but we still had 8 come to dinner. I roasted a turkey, did dressing, and made gravy. The usual fixings - like salad, mashed potatoes, various vegetables, etc. The youngest son baked two kinds of cookies. We had chocolates from Sees, and pumpkin pies. The beverages were a bit different this year. There was some wine and champagne. There was the usual sparkling cider. But this year... instead of wine with dinner... I got a lovely assortment of good beers.

There's a new shop, near my shop, called - The Beer Monger. I'm having lots of fun working my way thru their wares. For Christmas dinner, I chose an assortment. For the beer nuts, here's the list: Weihenstephaner, Heffeweissbier Dunkel; Mohr's, Weisse; Georg Schneider's, Organic Weissen Edel-Weisse; Ayinger, Weissen-Bock; G.Schneider & Sohn, Aventinus; Samuel Smith's, Winter Welcome Ale; Ayinger, Brau-Weisse; Aventinus, Eisbock. Everyone thought it was a great innovation, and there were very few bottles left.

Then, the 26th, we celebrated again with my brother's family, down at the coast. On the John Day river. He promised a seafood feast - and delivered. The rockfish and oysters were pan-fried. The salmon was baked in a lemony mayonnaisey sauce. There was also smoked salmon and pickled salmon. I was in heaven! The usual side dishes, and then dessert! Two of his daughters had been baking for days. There were cookies, bars, brownies, and pies galore. There was so much that I never even got to the pies. This - I regarded as an ignominious defeat. I've never in my life cried "Uncle" before at least sampling some of each dessert! Ah well... they sent some of the pie home with us for later <sigh>.

How about y'all?

paladin
12-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Had a piece of ham about the size of a playing card, a spoonful of Scalped taters, a dinner roll and a nap.......all I could handle under the circumstances......
Dinner tonight will make up for it. Suzie brought over some nurse friends and set the table...but 20 minutes into it I had to bail out and lay down.

bobbys
12-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Pretty simple this year.

Standing rib roast.

green bean casserole.

Homemade Challah bread.

Elk sausage.

Bucket of fresh Crabs , all you can eat with butter.

7 layer bar..

David my rental house is in Burnside by the Eagle sanctuary, about a mile or 2 from the John Day

mmd
12-27-2009, 04:18 PM
We usually have a crowd for Christmas dinner, and alternate turkey dinner one year and roast beef the next, but this year was different. Maureen's Mom moved back to the city after her husband died earlier this year, and her two other daughters are living there, so that eliminated that whole side of the meal guests. My Dad and his new 'significant other' made plans to spend Christmas with a service group (Kiwanis Golden K) that they belong to, serving Christmas dinner to folks with no families to go to, so it left just me, Maureen and Gwyn for Christmas at our house. So we made big changes to our Christmas routine, including dinner.

We got up and opened our stocking stuffers (just 'cause we're old doesn't mean Santa can't visit!) then piled in the car and drove about a half-hour down the road to a local resort where old friends were staying (the first year that their children weren't able to come visit them nor they able to fly due to health problems) and had brunch with them in the seaside dining room, and then dropped in to visit a friend of Maureen's and her family on the way home. We arrived back home early afternoon and opened our gifts from each other, and then I cooked Christmas dinner for the three of us. I decided to pull out all the stops and do a full-blown multi-course dining experience for Gwyn, as I don't think I've ever done a meal in her honour before. We had:

1st Course
Spinach and Romain Lettuce Salad (with almond slices in a red wine vinagarette)
Vino Verde white wine (Portugal)

Entree
Californian Beef Olives (steak, pounded thin, and rolled around a savoury stuffing of nuts, fruit, bread crumbs, and spices roasted in beef stock with vegatables)
Stuffed Baked Potato (with spring onions and parsley)
Carrot Coins with Chopped Chillies (flambeed in tequila)
Beaujolais red wine (France)

Dessert
Fresh Apple Torte with Orange Zest (with fresh whipped cream)
Jost Ice Wine (Nova Scotia)

It was wonderful, if I may say so myself, and just enough to step away from the table sated without being uncomfortably full. 'Twas a loverly meal.

David G
12-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Sounds like y'all had fun.

Chuck... I guess it's a good thing I ate extra. I musta been thinking of you.

bobby... Sounds lovely. That's one thing that was missing from our feast - crab. I don't know if I'd have had room for it, but I'd have certainly tried to wedge some in. I love it! Did you take advantage of the good razor clam digging earlier this year? Another treat. My brother's place is upstream a bit. If you've ever driven up Claremont road and seen the stretch that hugs the river... with the docks, and the big shop across the road, then you've driven by his place.

mmd... that sounds like a marvelous feast. I'd classify that menu as "adventuresome" for a Christmas day meal <G> Ambitious, as well, if you did it all yourself, esp. if there were some new recipes in there.

Captain Blight
12-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Festivus this year was chicken chili verde enchiladas, green beans, crispy Yukon Gold potato wedges (roasted with duck fat, YUM), and we split a pint of Haagen Dasz Dulce de Leche ice cream while we stared at the Festivus Pole.

Charlie Brown's Festivus pole, it's just a foot and a half of 2" conduit with a dead light bulb taped to one end. But we're apartment dwellers, we really don't have the room for a full-sized Festivus pole. Oh and we didn't have the traditional Airing of Grievances but instead proceeded directly to the Feats of Strength after we digested for a while.

C. Ross
12-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Chuck, hope you can get back on your feed soon.

Christmas Eve was potato and leek soup with a dollop of sour cream, barlett pears with raspberries and pomegranate seeds, cheeses (humboldt fog, a WI blue, an irish cheddar and a smoked gouda), a big french boule loaf.

Christmas was roast turkey, mashed yukon golds and gravy, glazed green beans, brussel sprouts in garlic cream, bread, cheese, fruits, various olives and relishes. Wine was Conundrum. Big fun is the christmas pudding, and I can report that Golsings 151 proof does the flame-up better and with less singeing than any cognac or brandy I've used before.

David and Bobby, the seafood feasts sound wonderful, and Michael has outdone all of us. JR, glad to hear that the Festivus pole still stands.

bobbys
12-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Sounds like y'all had fun.

Chuck... I guess it's a good thing I ate extra. I musta been thinking of you.

bobby... Sounds lovely. That's one thing that was missing from our feast - crab. I don't know if I'd have had room for it, but I'd have certainly tried to wedge some in. I love it! Did you take advantage of the good razor clam digging earlier this year? Another treat. My brother's place is upstream a bit. If you've ever driven up Claremont road and seen the stretch that hugs the river... with the docks, and the big shop across the road, then you've driven by his place.

mmd... that sounds like a marvelous feast. I'd classify that menu as "adventuresome" for a Christmas day meal <G> Ambitious, as well, if you did it all yourself, esp. if there were some new recipes in there..

Son Andy digs commercially and i used to.

I do not eat the clams as last few times my hands tingled from the Toxin..

Sometimes they have Toxin in them but i might have eaten a dozen and overdone it.

Its closed right now.

I know the spot where your Brother lives.

Very nice..

Years ago i was really trying to buy a houseboat under the Highway bridge with a gillnet boat

The Rudolfies live near there and im friends with Joe R.

Few years ago a fellow lived on a Houseboat there and came home from work on a hot summer night and jumped in for a swim.

They think he got stuck in the mud as he never came up.

Very sad.

I live 2 blocks from the Gearhart light and Beach approach, The best place to go clam digging..

We launch the Dory there..

Hope your son had a nice Christmas.

My nephew flew to Groton to have Christmas with his sisters and there Sub boyfriends.{ Wedding bells ringing soon}

Hoping to get pics of our 3 Navy men

huisjen
12-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Make it stop. People keep pushing things at me, saying "oh just try this!" or "here are some snacks for after dinner."

But I just spent a few miles on the treadmill, and now it's time for another set of sit-ups.

Dan

Nicholas Carey
12-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Christmas Eve Dinner? A good time was had by all...we consumed:

various appetizer type thingies

Roast Pork Loin (from "happy camper" Berkshire hogs), roasted on a bed of apples

Green Beans sauteed with spring onions (well...scallions, anyway, the best we could do)

A Risotto of Carrots

copious amounts of wine

Dessert? Oh...right...

Apple clafouti
coffee
brandy

Tom Montgomery
12-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Drove up to Northern Ohio. Found snow.

Christmas was spent with the family (my mother, two brothers, one sister, one brother-in-law, one sister-in-law, two nieces, two nephews). Dinner was a buffet with ham slices, prime rib slices, sandwich buns, lettuce, tomato, condiments, pickles, relish, etc., homemade cranberry and apple sauce, german potato salad, potatoes au gratin, green bean cassarole, pecan pie, cherry kuken and chocolate cake.

brad9798
12-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Grilled four six-ounce fillet mignon steaks for Christmas Eve ...

Christmas consisted of a main course of a HONEY BAKED HAM from the HBHam store! Ordered months before ... and well worth it.

Mainly the typical sides ...

Good meals, nonetheless!

:)

David G
12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't think there's anything as delicious as ham. I like it more than bacon... and even more than chocolate <gasp>. And we didn't have it for any of our holiday meals. That's a travesty that shall be rectified. Maybe ham/eggs/waffles for New Years Day breakfast. Yeah, that sounds good! Note to self - double check the maple syrple supply.

Figment
12-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Gah, I cannot stand honey baked ham. I did Alton Brown's "City Ham" for christmas eve. Good, but I've done better.

For christmas day I did a double-batch of lobster mac and cheese. Very hard to beat.

Dessert was the classic "cake" made with chocolate wafer cookies and FRESH whipped cream. The ultimate oreo.

Mrleft8
12-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Stale bread and tepid water. I think there was some vegetable matter in the water....

Chris Coose
12-28-2009, 04:07 PM
I traveled down to S. Bristol on the 24th. Stopped by Reny's for some gift cards.
I rowed out to Victoria to pump out about 3 gallons of water (2 weeks worth) and continued on over across the Gut to the Co-op and bought 8 lobsters.
Rowed back to the pier, steamed them off, picked em out, fed the gulls and brought back the remains to Portland for friends and family.

David G
12-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Stale bread and tepid water. I think there was some vegetable matter in the water....

Probably algae... and better than you deserved, you Sawdustmonger!

David G
12-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Lobster - now that's something I've never had for Thanksgiving or Christmas... even when we lived in New Hampshire for 4 years. Hmmmmmm....