PDA

View Full Version : we're workin on gettin snowed in for Christmas

Phillip Allen
12-24-2009, 03:25 PM
expecting up to 10 inches here preceeded by freezing rain...down to 16F tonight

Glen Longino
12-24-2009, 04:21 PM
It's snowing here too, Phillip, with a hard wind.
We won't get as much snow as you get though.
Rare to have snow here for Christmas but fun watching from inside the warm house.
Merry Christmas!

garland reese
12-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey Phillip,

Hunker down and stay inside! Mel and I had to brave this storm to drive an hour to work, only to be shut down and get to drive right back home. By the time we got back just west of home, they'd shut down I-40, and the shoulders were strewn with stray vehicles..... well, what you could see of the shoulders. The conditions were white out, and I am not stretching the truth in the least bit.
We made it home in about 2 and a half hours, but the last 40 minutes were absolutely miserable. Two and a half miles of dirt road, and we could not see the beyond the front fenders. We had to drive, watching the road just outside the leeward window.
Winds around 55 sustained, and gust above 65. I've never seen anything like it, and I've lived in OK for most of my life. Lived in CO for a while, but never experienced anything like this.
Stay warm, and stay home Phil. We were headed south, but they closed the Turnpike all the way to TX. Folks are stranded out there. Our front door faces straight North...... We had litte tiny crystals of snow blowing through, as those winds are pushing the door inward and breaking the weather seal! Gotta get one of those glass weather doors, I reckon.
I hope the wind lays pretty soon, It's been blowing HARD since yesterday afternoon. Luckily, I don't think we've gotten more than 6 or so inches of snow, but the wind is driving it into drifts, and there is nothing around us to stop the wind....welcome to farm country.

Phillip Allen
12-24-2009, 06:04 PM
hunkerin is exactly what I'm doin...thanks for the warning

Keith Wilson
12-24-2009, 06:05 PM
10 inches last night, 4-8 tonight, 3-5 more tomorrow. Looks lovely, I don't have anywhere I need to go, and the snowblower is working great. What's not to like? Life is good (it beats the alternatives, at least). :)

Phillip Allen
12-24-2009, 06:07 PM
we're not certified for that kind of snow down here...but I'm sure you're certified :) (sorry...idle hands and all that)

garland reese
12-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Nature's snowblower is sure working great here!!!!! National Guard is out, attempting to collect those stranded. Winds are still blowing brutally hard.

Keith Wilson
12-24-2009, 06:12 PM
A little blues by Charlie McGuire:
I woke up this morning, it was 40 below
The snow was piled up past my door
That wouldn't be too bad, but I live on the second floor
Oh, but I like it here . . .

Had two pairs of long johns under four pairs of pants
Three ski sweaters, and a hat to match
Two pairs of gloves and a fur-lined vest
Then I got out of bed, and I started to get dressed
Oh, but I like it here . . .

Memphis Mike
12-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Merry Christmas, Phillip.

Phillip Allen
12-24-2009, 06:25 PM
thanks Mike...Merry Christmas to you, Sue and all of yours

skuthorp
12-24-2009, 06:36 PM
And a Merry Xmas from Aus. Phillip, and to you Garland and take good care.
Cool day here, about 23 Celcius and some quite reasonable temp's forecast up to 32. Don't know whether I could handle Garlands weather but I guess it's what you are used to.

Phillip Allen
12-24-2009, 06:40 PM
And a Merry Xmas from Aus. Phillip, and to you Garland and take good care.
Cool day here, about 23 Celcius and some quite reasonable temp's forecast up to 32. Don't know whether I could handle Garlands weather but I guess it's what you are used to.

a feller can get used to just about anything...I was even married once

garland reese
12-24-2009, 06:41 PM
I think my calibrated eye is on the blink..... the news just reported 11.5 inches at the Airport. So much for the 6 inches I mentioned a while ago.

We've got some interesting drifts around us. Some of our lee side windows are completely covered from the swirling winds.

Phillip Allen
12-24-2009, 06:43 PM
the forecast as of 1730 hours...(it keeps changing)

Tonight: Rain and sleet before 9pm, then occasional snow and sleet between 9pm and midnight, then occasional snow after midnight. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 17. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 18 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Lewisboats
12-24-2009, 06:52 PM
That anywhere around Fort Smith? I was stationed at Chaffee for a couple of years back around 89/90 time frame. Lived in Van Buren by I-40. I remember an ice storm so bad I couldn't get out of the driveway (sloped down to the house) but not much big snow. OTO we're supposed to see up to 20" by Saturday noon here on the west coast of Iowa

paladin
12-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Sister in Shawnee reports that the driveway has disappeared and the gate is barely above the snow drifts....

Phillip Allen
12-24-2009, 08:49 PM
the snow has started here...5 hours early

cathouse willy
12-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Judging from the comments this is not the usual for you. What would be more ordinary conditions for this time of year for your part of the world? Stay warm.

Shang
12-24-2009, 10:02 PM
the snow has started here...5 hours early

We're south of Camdenton, MO, still haven't seen snow yet.

Phillip Allen
12-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Well, it didn't turn out as heavy as predicted...maybe a couple of inches but it's 17F and the wind is blowing pretty hard...doggon uncomfortable to be out in it...I'm not gonna drive anywhere unless I have to. I can probably drive better in this than the bulk of local drivers...it's them as keeps me off the road

Willy, we get this and worse most years but not until late Jan or Feb...the most I can remember personally is 13 inches...I forget when

John Turpin
12-25-2009, 08:51 AM
We got 14" here in central Oklahoma. Its deep between my backdoor ad the wood pile. Brrrr.

Phillip Allen
12-25-2009, 09:00 AM
We got 14" here in central Oklahoma. Its deep between my backdoor ad the wood pile. Brrrr.

the snow's nothin here...the wind is awful
I got ice on the insides of my back door windows

Memphis Mike
12-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Windy and cold here. No snow. I'm at the park with Heidi Dog. Had to get away from the little munchkins for awhile.

Phillip Allen
12-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Windy and cold here. No snow. I'm at the park with Heidi Dog. Had to get away from the little munchkins for awhile.

bit of reality Mike? :)

hope you guys have a fine Christmas...

Phillip Allen
12-25-2009, 01:31 PM
BTW Mike...it gets a LOT better when they're old enough for granpaw to take fishing and such...you're gonna have a blast

George Jung
12-25-2009, 02:44 PM
We're snowed in pretty good, though only a foot accumulated, give or take. High winds, gusts to 40 mph, this morning, much calmer now, pretty nice steady snowfall. Interstates closed to all travel, but no need to travel (yet). All my girls made it home before the storm. Had a nice Christmas morning, turkey's about ready to give its all.

It's all good..