PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Christmas in Hawaii...

BrianW
12-23-2009, 08:52 PM
...a mere $4,000 a night, just for his place.

link (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/barack-obama-family-head-hawaii-christmas/story?id=9402011&cid=yahoo_pitchlist)

Don't we maintain Camp David for this sort of thing, or perhaps he could go home to Chicago?

Hope he's paying.

JimD
12-23-2009, 08:54 PM
He's just spending his way out of reccession.

LeeG
12-23-2009, 09:01 PM
think of it this way, he eliminated the 27 $400million helicopters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VH-71_Kestrel

the projected total cost of the 28 helicopters planned under the program is over $13 billion.[2] In February 2009, President Obama asked Secretary of Defense Robert Gates about placing the project on hold or canceling it because of its high cost.[3] In June 2009, the US Navy announced that the contract was terminated and funds would be reinvested in upgrades to the existing fleet of VH-3D and VH-60N helicopters.[4]

johnw
12-23-2009, 09:36 PM
A picture of Camp David in the winter (not this year)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Camp_David.jpg

Or he could go to Hawaii.

purri
12-23-2009, 09:50 PM
think of it this way, he eliminated the 27 $400million helicopters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VH-71_Kestrel

the projected total cost of the 28 helicopters planned under the program is over $13 billion.[2] In February 2009, President Obama asked Secretary of Defense Robert Gates about placing the project on hold or canceling it because of its high cost.[3] In June 2009, the US Navy announced that the contract was terminated and funds would be reinvested in upgrades to the existing fleet of VH-3D and VH-60N helicopters.[4]
I see it as a mega expensive rejig of the very old Westland Wessex. Next they'll probably try (and succeed) to flog it to the white shoe mafia (RAN officer) wallahs here (reprising the Sea Sprite fiasco; $3B down the gurgler).

Poor fella my country.

Keith Wilson
12-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Whine, whine, whine . . . you guys would probably complain if he won the Nobel Peace Prize - Oh, wait; he did, and you did. :p

Nicholas Scheuer
12-23-2009, 09:54 PM
FYI, BrianW, Barack Obama is from Hawayii, he's entitled to "go home".

Rebvember Bush's incessant trips to Texas?

Read up on Camp David, then maybe you'll have a clue what it's generally used for.

For Christamas I have a big candy cane for you to maybe put someplace where the sun don't shine.

Moby Nick

seanz
12-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Yeah, you've got to go a long way to see a fully operational Sea Sprite

...a mere $4,000 a night, just for his place.

link (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/barack-obama-family-head-hawaii-christmas/story?id=9402011&cid=yahoo_pitchlist)

Don't we maintain Camp David for this sort of thing, or perhaps he could go home to Chicago?

Hope he's paying.

I bet he's not even chopping brush, the lazy goodfornothin'....

Mrleft8
12-23-2009, 10:08 PM
I hear a whining sound........ Mosquitoes? No it's too cold for that in Alaska..... That's why people from Alaska have been known to go to Hawaii in the end of November......
Get over it B-Dub...... He's going somewhere warm and sunny for vacation...... How many vacations did Dubya take in his first 11 months in office? How long was Dubya on vacation before 9-11?

BrianW
12-23-2009, 10:19 PM
FYI, BrianW, Barack Obama is from Hawayii, he's entitled to "go home".

Rebvember Bush's incessant trips to Texas?

He's not from Kailua. But point taken.

Bush went to Texas because that's where his real house is. Makes perfect sense.

Obama no longer has a house in Hawaii.

botebum
12-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Puh-lease! You actually have a problem with the President of the United States taking a holiday vacation with his family? Should he have stayed at Ho-Jo's? Gimme a break.

Doug

BrianW
...That's why people from Alaska have been known to go to Hawaii in the end of November...

...and pay our own way. ;)

In any case, the trip seems a bit over the top given the economy. Thought it deserved a mention in the Bilge don't ya know?

He chose a good spot. We're making plans to return to Kona in March during Spring Break. Maybe the good taxpayers of the USA will pay for it. :D

Mrleft8
He's not from Kailua. But point taken.

Bush went to Texas because that's were his real house was. Makes perfect sense.

Obama no longer has a house in Hawaii.
Dubya no longer has a house in Connecticut, or Maine....... Should he have paid to visit those places?:rolleyes:

Paul Girouard
12-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Some folks here seem to think he can walk there.

Mrleft8
12-23-2009, 10:26 PM
...and pay our own way. ;)

In any case, the trip seems a bit over the top given the economy. Thought it deserved a mention in the Bilge don't ya know?

He chose a good spot. We're making plans to return to Kona in March during Spring Break. Maybe the good taxpayers of the USA will pay for it. :D
Given the economy? Better for them to go to Chicago, freeze their butts off and eat bad pizza?;)

BrianW
12-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Puh-lease! You actually have a problem with the President of the United States taking a holiday vacation with his family? Should he have stayed at Ho-Jo's? Gimme a break.

Doug

Of course not, but if he's gonna do it on our dime, he could at least choose a place that already is set up for VIP visits. They could stay at Hickam AFB for a whole lot cheaper and be closer to his "roots."

BrianW
12-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Dubya no longer has a house in Connecticut, or Maine....... Should he have paid to visit those places?:rolleyes:

Sure.

Mrleft8
12-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Some folks here seem to think he can walk there.
If the Pacific ocean was in Connecticut..... He could walk there today.....:D

BrianW
12-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Given the economy? Better for them to go to Chicago, freeze their butts off and eat bad pizza?;)

Probably best if he went to Detroit. They could use the money more than Kailua-Kona.

BrianW
12-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Turns out I've got the wrong Kailua Hawaii. Looks like he's staying at the one on Oahu, not the one on the Big Island. Guess his taste isn't as good as I thought. :) However, it makes a bit more sense. Closer to his old home. Also closer to cheaper VIP digs on Hickam.

LeeG
12-23-2009, 10:32 PM
keep us informed on this Brian.

Keith Wilson
12-23-2009, 10:33 PM
The man's no fool.

Forecast for Kailua:
Christmas Day: Widespread haze after noon. Sunny, with a high near 82. Northeast wind at 8 mph becoming west. Forecast for Chicago:
Christmas Day: Rain likely, possibly mixed with snow before noon, then a chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Breezy, with a south southeast wind between 15 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

botebum
12-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Sorry kids. The job comes with paid and paid for vacations. He chose to vacation in Hawaii. I don't expect him to come here for vacation. Hell, I wouldn't. If he goes on vacation again next week feel free to bitch and moan. I'll probably help you. Till then? Stuff it.

Doug

BrianW
12-23-2009, 10:35 PM
keep us informed on this Brian.

It's either this, or Ishmael's search for his old girlfriend.

Can't cover both.

Mrleft8
12-23-2009, 10:36 PM
"Haze"....... "Maui wowie" Or generic "volcano fog"? :D

seanz
12-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Probably best if he went to Detroit. .

Is Kurt Russell ready for another "Escape From" movie?

Face it Brian, one of your favourite places is infested with Democrats......just deal with it. ;):D

Mrleft8
12-23-2009, 10:39 PM

Face it Brian, one of your favourite places is infested with Democrats......just deal with it. ;):D

Washington D.C................ Or Hawaii? :D

BrianW
12-23-2009, 10:40 PM

Hawaii is very liberal. They do have a Republican Governor though.

I also appreciated Senator Inouye (d) for his support of Ted Stevens during his political take down.

seanz
12-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Washington D.C................ Or Hawaii?

I've never heard Brian say a good thing about D.C.
:)

Mrleft8
12-23-2009, 10:46 PM
I've never heard Brian say a good thing about D.C.
:)
D.C..... The place that the funding for his job comes from.... I hate my boss too..... But he keeps me working for nothing because I'm so indebted to him for all he's done for me over the years.... Hell..... Last year he got cancer, and he told me to take a couple weeks off while he was in the hospital and convalescing..... ;)

seanz
12-23-2009, 10:47 PM
You blokes have a nice Christmas.....I've got to get ready for the big family Christmas eve dinner/cage fight at the in-laws.

You just relax now, pretend you're on holiday and someone else is paying for it.
:D

Seeya.

BrianW
12-23-2009, 11:39 PM
D.C..... The place that the funding for his job comes from....

eh? :confused:

David G
12-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Brian,

I'm beginning to get the impression that you don't have much use for Obama. Fair enough... I've got some issues with him myself. But to kvetch about something this trivial just strikes me as a mean-spirited reach. Or are you just trying to wind up the usual suspects?

Captain Blight
12-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Certainly cheaper for the taxpayers than flying out offshore from San Diego to announce that a Mission was Accomplished.

Look, he's the President. You may not agree but I do, so we cancel each other out. I didn't always agree with the way Mr Bush spent taxpayer dollars but let's face it, Hawai'i can use all the income coming its way these days.

Joe (SoCal)
12-24-2009, 03:08 AM
Whine, whine, whine . . . you guys would probably complain if he won the Nobel Peace Prize - Oh, wait; he did, and you did. :p

Best post in this thread :p

BrianW
12-24-2009, 03:27 AM
Merry Christmas Joe!

Joe (SoCal)
12-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Starting to consider hitting the infamous 'red triangle of whiners' button, and report this thread, then perhaps the powers that be will take note.

Oh Merry Christmas to you too Brian ;)

JimD
12-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Yeah, you've got to go a long way to see a fully operational Sea Sprite

I bet he's not even chopping brush, the lazy goodfornothin'....

But rumour has it he will harvest a few pineapples. Or at least eat some.

George Jung
12-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Perhaps the opportunity is ripe for a lil' 'protest' of our profligate CIC, courtesy of that citizens watchdog, the Bilge Patrol.

Send the necessary funds - I'll take the first watch, cuz' I'm just a giving sort of guy. Rest assured, your generosity in funding this action will be well rewarded - expect daily, no, hourly, updates in the Bilge. No nuance too minor to escape scathing commentary.

We good to go?

elf
12-24-2009, 12:07 PM
I'd rather he vacationed where his sister and brother-in-law live than on the Vineyard, thanks.

bobbys
12-24-2009, 12:24 PM
I dounut begrudge the Prez going to Hawaii for Vacation.

After all RUSH is going there too for the Christmas break.

Say you dont think this means something?.

Perhaps a summit?.

Or maybe there just gonna roll around in the surf like i did when i went there getting sand in my trunks.

johnw
12-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Just so I don't have to watch. I'm thinking Rush looks best in heavy winter clothing, as do I.

pefjr
12-24-2009, 03:07 PM
"This is the worst recession since the Great Depression" Obama

Where would the Obamas vacation in a booming economy?

Yeah, yeah, yeah Blight, Joe, W did this, W did that, yadda yadda

Phillip Allen
12-24-2009, 03:14 PM
I wonder how it compares to: any president going anywhere...moving any president around has GOT to cost a lot...perhaps some could be saved but how much?

how many other's lives are interupted by his/her going anywhere?...I'l bet that is the biggest (hidden) cost... ?

seanz
12-24-2009, 03:25 PM
You're worried about the cost of this President going to Hawaii?
Were you worried about the cost when the last one went to Iraq?

Phillip Allen
12-24-2009, 03:26 PM
I guess that's the point...it costs a lot to move those guys around

BrianW
12-24-2009, 03:45 PM
You're worried about the cost of this President going to Hawaii?

No. I consider VC-25 bought and paid for, done deal.

I do wonder about the homes his family is staying in, "nearby." Nobody voted for them. Are we picking up that tab too?

Were you worried about the cost when the last one went to Iraq?

No. Now that Iraq is a fledgling democracy in the middle-east, I'm proud of the job our men and women did over there. No Saddam and now voting booths. What's wrong with that picture?

Joe (SoCal)
12-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Ahhh how festive, Brian is enjoying Christmas Cool-Aid :p